LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-18-2010, 01:39 AM
heelfan not hellfan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I got big problems

so today i got tired of waiting on my suspension to ship so i went and got a junkyard spring/strut. after i changed it the car wouldnt change gears and it rolled down my driveway and got stuck in the street. I come to find out the axle was broken on the right front ( same side as new shock). I replaced it and it still does the same thing. Any ideas i really need some help on this one.

1994 Altima GXE
5% tint
Tokico struts/eibach springs
Stock otherwise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-18-2010, 02:37 AM
Erect Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
dumb question but, did you install it correctly?
did you seat tighten all of the carrier bearing bolts?
seems weird that it would just break.

#3 Old 05-18-2010, 03:30 AM
heelfan not hellfan

(Thread Starter)
no problem
As far as I know it was all right. I checked it all over completly both times, and every gear change grinder the first time, now only grinds going into park just sits in other gears. I was worried about the new axle. It seemed to short at first, like 2 inches, but then it all bolted up fine, but it still worries me it started out so short.

1994 Altima GXE
5% tint
Stock otherwise
#4 Old 05-18-2010, 03:44 AM
Erect Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
is it fully seated in the trans?

#5 Old 05-18-2010, 03:47 AM
Ur Girl Luvz My Alti.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heelfan9205 View Post
so today i got tired of waiting on my suspension to ship so i went and got a junkyard spring/strut. after i changed it the car wouldnt change gears and it rolled down my driveway and got stuck in the street. I come to find out the axle was broken on the right front ( same side as new shock). I replaced it and it still does the same thing. Any ideas i really need some help on this one.
LOL..for a sec there by reading ur Title I thought ur girlfriend was cheating on you lol
#6 Old 05-18-2010, 06:30 AM
2600 lbs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
^nice contribution to the thread :rollseyes:

What part of the axle is breaking? Like a cv joint is popping or what?

Maybe the control arm is dropping too far when you have the strut out, and it's causing the cv joints to pop out?

Pictures maybe could help?

#7 Old 05-18-2010, 04:37 PM
heelfan not hellfan

(Thread Starter)
Okay here is a pic of the full cv axle.

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/5356/dscf0563z.jpg

and this is of the joint that was broken. it was all looses and felt disconnected inside.

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/6574/dscf0564v.jpg

Im gonna start from the very begininning to try and get all the info out.

3 weeks ago drving to school my spring broke the upper ring of the coil. I had driven some that day around town because I had not realized what had happened yet. As soon as I found out I parked it. Then I ordered Eibach lowering springs and toikico blues. I am still waiting on those so I went to a junkyard and bought a used shock/spring. I drove the car down the street and then pulled it in the driveway. everything pulls fine, all gears are normal.

So i pull the old one off, which had broken yet again just sitting there, and it looked like this.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/9241/dscf0565z.jpg

So I installed the new one and everything seemed to bolt up fine. I started the car, put it in reverse, and started to back out my driveway (which is a short driveway but at a decline. So I get to the bottom and it stops moving. I give it gas, it just revs like its in neutral. so I put it in drive, and it grinds then changes gears, but still just revs. I put in in everygear and each gear the same. So I jacked it up, took off the wheel, and determined the axle was loose becuase I was moving it back and forth ( on the wheel side of the axle, not the trans side). So after i get some help pushing it up in the driveway, I get the axle out. I go down to advance and buy a new one and put it in. It lines up short about two inches compared to the old one. It was also missing the ring that goes against the trans seal. So i took it back and got a new one. BTW they all measured the same length out of the car. The new one was the same but we went with it and bolted it all up. When we put on the spindle nut it pulled out somewhere along because it all lined up perfect, but everything is all still sealed and tight and flush. So i threw everything back on put it in reverse and it did the same thing, only it only grinds going into park but not in any other gear, but no gear works. Park doesnt work by the way, my ebrake is holding everything.

So could the driving i did on te bad spring have done this? It worked fine before i pulled the shock tho. And when i took the axle no fluid came out, but it showed fluid. My dads prelude gushed fluid when we changed his.

1994 Altima GXE
5% tint
Stock otherwise
#8 Old 05-18-2010, 08:31 PM
2600 lbs

Judging by that damage to the axle, it looks like it's the right one, but it could be the wrong one. I just can't see how a professionally rebuilt axle can extend and snap like that in the cv joint, twice.

Are you absolutely sure you are getting the right axle? You sure it's for an automatic?

The broken spring wouldn't have done anything to the axle. And you replaced it with a junkyard unit anyway, which would leave no reason for it to break the second one.

Trans fluid should come out when you change the axle. I loose more than a quart when I change my manual axles. Unless the automatics take very little fluid, you should have fluid pour out some when you pull the axle out. Check the fluid level and top it up if you need to. But low fluid shouldn't have anything to do with the axle breaking.

Are you making sure that you hold the axle and handle it appropriately? You CAN NOT let the rubber boot covered cv joint extend too far. You can't let them stretch the rubber covers out. If the cv joints get extended too far they will pop out and that can ruin them. If a joint pops out from being extended too far, you will know because the rubber boot will be stretched, and the cv joint will not compress back together normally. It will just stay extended. Unless you can line it up correctly it will not pop back together normal.
#9 Old 05-18-2010, 09:01 PM
heelfan not hellfan

(Thread Starter)
sorry about the confusion, that was the stock axle. only that one has broken, the new one appears to all be intact.
I found a thread from a few years back where a guys trans did the same thing.

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/gen...hing-else.html

Im gonna check the left axle today and see what I find. But this is weird. I found it was a little low on trans fluid so i replaced that all and still nothing different. I also read somewhere a guys subs were drawing too much power and put the trans in a fail safe, but they get stuck in third, not neutral like mine appears to have. I disconnected them anyways ill let you know how this checks out.

Only reason Im going with this one is a few weeks back my subs would only work in the sunlight from heat, but not at all in cold. I fixed that but now my stereo says failure. it still works tho. So ill get back on this.

I just dont think my trans could have up and died.

1994 Altima GXE
5% tint
Stock otherwise
#10 Old 05-18-2010, 09:09 PM
2600 lbs

So the stock axle broke after you installed the new spring/strut from the junkyard? Maybe the broken spring messed up that axle some, and maybe it was also on it's way out and ready to break anyway?

So the new axle is working fine?
#11 Old 05-18-2010, 09:23 PM
heelfan not hellfan

(Thread Starter)
Idk somethingS wrong I have no gears now. Unplugging the subs didn't work like I figured. My situation is exactly like what that guy is describing in that link in my last post

1994 Altima GXE
5% tint
Stock otherwise
#12 Old 05-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage
can you take some pics of the axle where it mates to the transmission as well as to the hub? front and back of the hub would be great. I have a feeling the CV axle isn't all the way in.

Also, you can raise the front of the car off the ground. Put it in gear and see if the the cv shaft is turning or not.

PM me for Overlay or Projector Retrofits

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIZAMAN View Post

People who defend CVT are like people with ugly kids - they have no choice but to love them.
#13 Old 05-18-2010, 11:04 PM
july notm winner!

maybe its in the mid-axle (idk what its called for real...) when i lowered my car my cv axles popped out in the middle and it was a complete bitch to get them to go back in (took over 4 hour's for both....and it only takes me about 30 minutes to replace the axle)....they go in one way and one way only....and youll miss the teeth linging up by an 1/8" and youll have to start from scratch...

i paint "fancy" valve cover's pm me for detail's
#14 Old 05-19-2010, 12:10 AM
heelfan not hellfan

(Thread Starter)
Blackalti can you explain that a little more, like what you did to fix it and what exactly happened

1994 Altima GXE
5% tint
Stock otherwise
#15 Old 05-19-2010, 12:36 AM
heelfan not hellfan

(Thread Starter)

1994 Altima GXE
5% tint
Stock otherwise

Last edited by heelfan9205; 05-19-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode