LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-04-2010, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post 1994 Altima SE Clutch Replacement

Folks,

I am getting to do the clutch on my Altima with ~175K miles. Still original clutch and theres some life left. I have the Nissan clutch kit and driveshaft seals. My goal is to get the tranny removed today and also the old kit and flywheel. I have read the helpful post by Red Lion on the swap. Also have the FS and Haynes manuals. Need to read these a bit more closely. I am planning on reusing my flywheel. Will go out to Advance and get the alignment tool today. Just a couple of questions:
1. Do I need to do a full resurface of the flywheel or just rough it up with emery paper? I heard (perhaps folklore!) that you should not resurface the flywheel on hydraulic systems. Is this correct?
2. The clutch fork has a V shaped spring. Is this a part that should be replaced? I will have to get it from the dealership. If the fork appears damaged, I will get that as well.
3. Any other parts to replace while the tranny is out? Everything works like clockwork on the car.

The reason for the replacement is I am moving to Fl (new job) and will not have much access to self maintenance of cars for a while. Will also replace all (most) cooling/heater hoses.

Thx,

aba4430

White 1994 SE 5 Speed
Black 1994 SE Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-04-2010, 12:36 PM

(Thread Starter)
One more item to replace is the rear engine seal. Thx, aba

White 1994 SE 5 Speed
Black 1994 SE Auto
#3 Old 07-04-2010, 07:24 PM
DIFFERENER

definatly resuface the flywheel and also if its not broke dont fix it

TOUGE TERROR

GEORGIA MUSCLE BOI
A/C & H.I.D'S CREW MEMBER #1
contact me on FB "sean glover" or s240sxvsp3c@aol.com
#4 Old 07-07-2010, 08:07 PM
2600 lbs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
You don't HAVE to resurface the flywheel. I probably would in this situation since both components are very old, actually I would probably replace the flywheel with a new one if I were you.

If you have the tranny down, you may want to replace the axle seals. It's a thousand times easier to do the axle seals with the tranny out of the car rather than in the car.

Definitely replace the throwout bearing, which should come with a new spring for it.

If you do replace the flywheel, you may as well replace the main seal while you're in there.

#5 Old 07-07-2010, 11:15 PM
KA24DE > SR20DE

Allblackedout pretty much covered it all.

2002 Subaru WRX Wagon: Rally Armor Mudflaps, TurboXS RFL turboback, Cobb AP (Stage 2), Prodrive GC-10 17x7.5

1993 Nissan Altima: KSport Kontrol Pro, I/H/E w/ cat delete, FSTB, ST sway bar, Racingline RS MMI and Endlinks, JWT ECU, 5Zigen Proracer ZR+520 17x9 +27 PARTING OUT
143whp & 146ft/lbs
#6 Old 07-08-2010, 11:38 AM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the replies folks. The tranny is down and I am putting it back together with my son today. I got the flywheel resurfaced and replaced the rear oil seal with a Felpro kit. The pilot bushing is giving me fits. Rented a bushing tool from AZ yesterday, but the jaws were a tad too big. So yesterday bought a Lisle bushing puller that uses grease. Might try that this morning. I am hesitant to pump a whole bunch of grease in the cavity, might stuff some paper (saw this on Youtube) and then use the Lisle tool - to minimize the grease I have to pump in. Might make clean-up easier. Yes, I do have the Nissan original axle seals and will install those as well. The clutch kit is a Nissan "Key Value" kit and comes with the TB and pilot bushing. Bought a cheap alignment tool from ADAP yesterday to help with the alignment of the set-up. I also bought Nissan fork boot (torn) and a fork spring. Other things to replace are most coolant/heater hoses (Gates and Nissan) and both CV axles. Lot of work, but intend to put all back together today. As a side issue, the genuine Nissan curved heater hoses are surprisingly low priced, compared to aftermarket parts.

White 1994 SE 5 Speed
Black 1994 SE Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode