97 altima rough idling/ bpt, iat, egr sensor?? - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
97 altima rough idling/ bpt, iat, egr sensor??

Hi there!! Newbor to forum who needs help diagnosing rough idling on 97 altima. Typing on iPhone, so will keep everything short for this posting.

Stats on car:

1997 altima
248,xxx miles

Things replaced to try and fix rough idling/misfire:

Engine cover gasket replaced (fixed and cleared #4 cylinder misfire)
Distributor rotor,seals, and cap replaced
New spark plugs and wires after engine cover gasket repair
New alternator( this was a separate problem)
Just replaced egr valve and gasket( scraped off old gasket and carbon from egr base including 2 opening holes in base)( I was told there is no egr pipe in my car, so didn,t do that.) ( FYI, this cleared egr code)

After all this with codes cleared, 0400 code came up for about 2 weeks but now there is no codes for past couple of weeks.

Current problems:

Running rough at idle, chugging out of tailpipe. Worst is when in park idling, but no engine cut out so far. 500-1000 rpm is when it is bad. Barely noticeable over 2000 rpm (aka highway)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2011, 02:30 PM

Additional info

Sorry, messed up, didn,t type all the info.

Haven,t checked knock sensor yet. Hoping to work on this today so any help would be great. Have Haynes manual. Wondering if I do have an egr pipe?? Also could it be egr temp sensor, bpt(need more info on what this is and how it works), iat temp sensor(what is difference between iat sensor and egr sensor??), tps sensor(maybe??), or exhaust system like (muffler, pipes, cat converter)(FYI had everything from behind cat converter replaced 2 years ago)

Thanks a bunch everyone and hope someone can help!!

P.S. 1997 Nissan altima SE, 4 cylinder, 2.4 liter??
Old 01-11-2011, 05:55 PM
The Don.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would suggest you concentrate on only the engine misfiring issue for now. A true misfire should typically be captured in the ECU diagnostics. So a diagnostic scan should had caught it. If that's not the case then try to isolate the problematic cylinder by disconnecting a spark plug at a time to see which one DOES NOT make the engine idle get worse.

'94 Nissan Altima SE, 5spd. Ultra Red (AJ4).
Erebuni 905, Turboing, Hotshot CAI, UR Pulley, Calum ECU,
HUD & ATC retrofitted, DEPO lamps /w Silverstars, NGK Ignition wires.
ITEMS FOR SALE
Old 01-12-2011, 10:33 AM

is it still missfireing. if not it could be an intake leak. try spraying some carb cleaner or WD-40 tword the intake till the idel straightnss out. the knock sensor and egr temp will through codes if those were the problem.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:17 PM

wire?

On my '93 altima, I had a stumble on idle and stall condition. I thought for sure it was the IACV. Turned out it was (I think) a bad ground wire on the ignition control module. All I did was remove the black electrical tape on the harness connector, and the car has been fine since. I'm guessing that repositioned the bad ground to make full contact. (my best guess).
Old 01-12-2011, 06:01 PM

link to good diagnostics

good diagnostics with pictures Part 1 -Tests: Nissan 2.4L Altima Power Transistor & Ignition Coil (93-97)
Old 01-12-2011, 11:52 PM

P0400 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow http://engine-codes.com/P0400.html
You can check the functionality of EGR -- in the tube going from BPT ( back pressure transducer ) to EGR valve and the tube going to bottom of BPT from exhaust tapping tube -- inside tube there are small restrictors -- rubber tube inside tube to control the flow of Exhaust gas to BPT and the vacuum to EGR valve -- make sure the rubber tubes are passing air -- when you blow thru them -- I found mine to be plugged with carbon !! --

Last edited by ardenmann; 01-13-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:27 PM
The Don.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lairdwd View Post
That's a nice article and website. I suggest people go out and download it locally.

It had a few minor areas which could had used either further explanation or correction. But overall, it's a nice piece of diagnostics for the 1st Gen.

I still say, and don't know why, my preferred method for troubleshooting the ignition system hasn't taken ground. The quickest, best, and non-intrusive way to trouble the ignition system is by far to use an ignition timing light. If you first place the pickup on the ignition coil high voltage wire, you will easily identify a constant or random misfire. And I'm not talking about using the light strobe on the crank timing mark. I'm talking about visually checking the strobe pattern to identify ignition misfiring issues.

Also keep in mind that an ignition misfire doesn't always lead to a bad ignition component. You can have something like a single cylinder run extremely lean or rich where the spark plug won't even fire at all.

'94 Nissan Altima SE, 5spd. Ultra Red (AJ4).
Erebuni 905, Turboing, Hotshot CAI, UR Pulley, Calum ECU,
HUD & ATC retrofitted, DEPO lamps /w Silverstars, NGK Ignition wires.
ITEMS FOR SALE

Last edited by jserrano; 01-13-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode