replace ball joints or control arms? - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-15-2011, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
replace ball joints or control arms?

one front ball joint boot separated at the top on passenger side. no noise yet but know it will be coming any time.

Price for a ball joint is around $25(moog) while the whole control arm is $75 (Beck Arnley). can get the parts at this price mail order so need to plan a little on the job.

Car is a 98 with 80 miles on it that was purchased a few months ago after sitting for a year.

Question should I just change out the one ball joint or swap one or both control arms? looking at the part price and need for alignment I don't know how much to do now.

Please what are your ideas experience on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-15-2011, 04:57 PM

I am in the middle of this now.
If you just replace the ball joints, you will need a ball-joint press.
The press is ~ $120 from RockAuto.

I am just doing the Ball joints - the arm is fine.

At the same time, look at your outer tie-rod ends, and sway bar end links.
Mine were all bad.

I got Tie Rod ends (MOOG) from Rockauto, and the sway bar endlinks from Raceline.

Terry

The purpose of life is to live a life of purpose.
#3 Old 02-15-2011, 05:15 PM

(Thread Starter)
more info,

My outer tie rods have been replaced at any time, inner tie rods shot and will be replaced this week, sway bar bushings are shot, sway bar links seem OK.

Car is all original nissan parts as the last owner always took it to the dealer and parked it when they gave a huge repair estimate for the timing chain and some other minor items.

Plan for tools is to loan them from the corner AZ/OR.
#4 Old 02-17-2011, 01:39 AM

I've been driving with torn boots on both outer rods and ball joints for 13 years. Still passes the sniff test 18 years later. Moral of the story - just because the boot is torn, doesn't necessarily mean the component is ready for imminent failure. It all depends on where you drive, how hard you drive, etc. Nissan did not go cheap on those OEM suspension components and even just a little bit of cruddy grease gets the job done. They are rock solid.

Regarding the control arm, my take is leave the OEM one on unless it's shot. The OEM one is a very high grade steel. The aftermarket ones almost surely a lesser grade... Just swap the ball joint.. good to go.
#5 Old 02-17-2011, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee66 View Post
more info,
when they gave a huge repair estimate for the timing chain and some other minor items.

Huge estimate for what? The timing chain guide rattle that every KA owner has to put up with ??? LOL.

Sounds like you got a sweet deal.
#6 Old 02-17-2011, 03:00 AM
Some assembly REQUIRED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee66 View Post
more info,

My outer tie rods have been replaced at any time, inner tie rods shot and will be replaced this week, sway bar bushings are shot, sway bar links seem OK.

Car is all original nissan parts as the last owner always took it to the dealer and parked it when they gave a huge repair estimate for the timing chain and some other minor items.

Plan for tools is to loan them from the corner AZ/OR.
I have new 2nd gen tierods for sale if ur interested..

bout that fwd ka life
#7 Old 02-17-2011, 04:06 AM

As previously mentioned without a press its cheaper to buy the control arms with balljoints already pressed in, here are 2 on ebay for $94.39 free shipping 2 Lower Control Arm Nissan ALTIMA 98-99-00-01 L&R BALL - eBay (item 390184796192 end time Mar-14-11 19:06:01 PDT).

I bought my pair from the same supplier through ebay a few years ago. Have not had any issues with my pair so I'd recommend these for someone on a budget. And if your interested in replacing tie-rod ends, inner tie rods, sway-bar end links, as well as your two control arms you could purchase this entire kit. Suspension Nissan ALTIMA 98-01 BALL ARM TIE ROD ENDS - eBay (item 130403779926 end time Feb-19-11 17:51:04 PST)

Honestly if you are going through the effort of replacing a control arm you might as well replace the other suspension/steering components because from what i remember in order to properly complete the job you are going to need to disconnect alot of them anyways. And whenever you replace such components, you need to replace identical components on the other side of the car you never just replace one control arm or one tie-rod end. Replacing both at the same time will allow equal wear rate, make for an equally balanced ride/steering quality and be better for alignment purposes.

But before you decide to commit to this job yourself make sure you absolutely have all the tools necessary. Tie rod end separator isn't a must but from my experienced proved very helpfull and it can can also serve the same purpose for prying the control arm off the steering knuckle. If you decide to replace inner tie rod ends, you'll need a special tool for that. Here is a thread that although written as a walk through to replacing the cv joint gives some instructions as well as excellent pictures as how to go about removing sway bar end links and the ball joint from the steering knuckle. http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/f-q...00-m5-how.html

Last edited by badreligion9265; 02-18-2011 at 01:49 AM.
#8 Old 02-18-2011, 04:49 PM

>> 2 Lower Control Arm Nissan ALTIMA 98-99-00-01 L&R BALL - eBay (item 390184796192 end time Mar-14-11 19:06:01 PDT).

That's the ones I have, but haven't put them on yet. They are cheap OE brand (NOT OEM... made in China and sold at Advanced Auto Parts). I actually ordered a complete kit from that guy for $100 (2 arms, 2 ball joint, 2 inner tie rods, 2 outer, 2 front sway liks). The steel is most certainly not an OEM grade steel, but I do not know how favorably it compares to other aftermarket arms. The bushings seem solid enough.

Just by looking at the all the OE brand parts I have, everything looks FTW, except the ball joints, which are complete garbage. Non-greaseable, with no grease inside, and a very cheezy boot... People rag on the OE brand ball joint to no end on the forums - universally. Possible safety issues aside, if you don't mind 1-3 years of service, then I guess they are ok. Ball joints are not something to go cheap on IMHO.

For me, I plan on pressing out the OE brand ball joint and putting in a deeza instead.
#9 Old 02-18-2011, 05:17 PM

Moog.

#10 Old 02-19-2011, 04:08 AM

(Thread Starter)
update,

Just put in moog inner tie rods and got the alignment done.
went for a life time alignment form firestone for about the price of 2 alignments.

figure that I will deal with the ball joint when it starts making noise and swap it out then.

great news is the alignment and rods not only made it ride smoother but it solved the slight brake pulsing and the front end is not squeaking any more over speed bumps.
#11 Old 02-21-2011, 12:35 AM
98 Altima GLE auto

saw both arms + ball joints for $70 shipped on ebay

'98 altima GLE - DD
'06 STI - toy
#12 Old 02-23-2011, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh god, please do not buy anything off of Ebay. For the love of all that is holy in the world, do not.

I'm guessing you meant your car only has 80k miles on it, so in essence your car hasn't even seen half of the miles that it should. My '99 just rolled past 185k, and all I've replaced under the hood is the passenger side motor mount, valve cover gasket, and an alternator(at 177k, nothing was even wrong with the original alternator I just replaced it for the hell of it).

My point being, your car should last you a substantial amount of time. So don't listen to any of this Ebay nonsense and invest in quality parts from reputable dealers, whom you know you will have no problems with if the time comes for them to honor a warranty on a part you've purchased. All of the big chain stores offer lifetime warranties on a lot of suspension parts, and could care less if they wind up giving you two free control arms 4 years from now just because you bring them back in for the hell of it.

Ebay noise aside, badreligion makes an excellent point in that you should replace both to ensure even wear.

Edit: Don't forget that aside from saving you the work of pressing the ball joints, new arms will include new bushings.

James

1999 GXE - Automatic
2001 SE - Manual
#13 Old 02-23-2011, 11:10 AM

^ +1

I tried to go cheap (Mevotech) and ran into problems. This is where a reputable dealer (Rockauto.com) steps in, takes them back (they even paid for return shipping) and overnights me a set of MOOG (which is what I should have got in the first place) for the same cost as standard shipping.

eBay is great for some stuff, but, IMHO, not for major pieces that could compromise the safety / quality of your car.

#14 Old 02-23-2011, 04:43 PM

(Thread Starter)
yea the car has 80,000 miles and runs strong.

figure it will be with us a while and have decided to stick to quality parts and stay away from ebay cheep parts
#15 Old 02-27-2011, 01:55 AM

re: ebay suspension parts. There seems to be a lot of controversy there. If your application is limited - like mine (don't drive hard, only need it for 8 years), my feeling is that these parts will be fine (everything other than the ball joints that is). I've done extensive research, and most of the people report good results with the arms, tie rods, but really bad results with the ball joints.

I would not use those OE brand ball joints, but the control arms, inner and outer tie rods and sway links look FTW. The outer tie rods are even greasable (albeit a little bit shorter than the OEM ones). I plan on replacing the boot with a better quality one before installing it though.

That said, he has since raised his prices and if I had to do it all over again at the current levels, I would probably go to rockauto. To go MOOG on all those components would have been 3x the cost, with questionable value (aren't moog made in China now too?)

If I can get 8 years out of the arms/bushings and other suspension parts - that's all I need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode