Extremely poor acceleration, please help!! - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-16-2011, 02:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Extremely poor acceleration, please help!!

[SOLVED (see post 27)]

Hello Everyone,
To start off, I'm not too familiar with mechanics of cars, I just got my first car about 6 months ago,its a 1999 altima and lately its been having acceleration problems. When I press on the gas the car moves extremely slow and has trouble picking up speed when accelerating from a complete stop (red light, stop sign). It will go at about 10mph and slowly reach 20 in ten seconds. It eventually picks up speed once the RPMs finally reach 3k.

I changed the Spark plugs and the spark plug wires, and the problem persists.
I went to AutoZone and told them the Check Engine light was on (although it never came on) and they hooked it up and I got 3 codes.

P1400 - EGRC Solenoid Valve
P0446 - Evaporative emission control system vent control
P0325 - Knock Sensor

Could one of these be the acceleration problem? I believe it might be the p1400. Also what exactly are the other problems and how do I go about fixing them?

I have no idea how to fix or replace these parts myself, and will be taking it to a mechanic. Would anyone be able to tell me which parts I would need to purchase to bring to the mechanic? Or if theres any guides online that would help me through it, I would really appreciate all the help I can get.
Also anyone have an estimate on how much this would cost me?

Last edited by bdarknessb; 03-12-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-16-2011, 02:33 AM
Motivated

97+ altima im assuming

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3151091
02 Maxima
I'd rather be whacking Tango's
#3 Old 02-16-2011, 02:54 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormzusmc View Post
97+ altima im assuming
#4 Old 02-16-2011, 06:16 AM
Vitamin L30

I don't think any of those would cause your problem: The car appears to be stuck in third. Does it go fast backwards?

1999 Altima GXE 4AT.
eBay strutbar, LI A-arm brace, Racing Beat rear endlinks, rear disc brakes
ES A-arm bushings, ES RPL bushings, ES swaybar bushings, Megan Racing coilovers
RLR Motor Mounts, Speedline wheels
#5 Old 02-16-2011, 06:52 AM
2600 lbs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA11R View Post
I don't think any of those would cause your problem: The car appears to be stuck in third. Does it go fast backwards?
Forgive my ignorance towards 2nd gens, but to add to this^:

Do 2nd gens have an OD light on the cluster? If they do, I assume it would flash if the transmission had a trouble code, like the 1st gens? It should throw a code if it was stuck in limp-in mode (stuck in 3rd), but it may not, as it could be mechanically stuck in 3rd gear, but electronically it see's it shifting through all gears. If that makes sense...

Based on those codes, the egr solenoid valve being stuck "open" could cause an issue like yours, but if it was stuck open the car should idle roughly. However I still wouldn't completely rule that out yet.

As far as the EVAP vent control code, that could be linked to a few issues. I'll just say that it's possible it could be causing your issue. Just a shot in the dark here, loosen your gas cap and go for a drive and see if the problem persists. This could throw another code, but won't affect anything once you put the gas cap back on. And you have to have the codes cleared at some point anyway, so what's an extra one?

Does the problem get worse as you drive? Or is just always the same thing from when you start to when you shut it off? When you described the problem, I assume you were referring to WOT from a stop?

#6 Old 02-16-2011, 07:11 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allblackedout111 View Post
Forgive my ignorance towards 2nd gens, but to add to this^:

Do 2nd gens have an OD light on the cluster? If they do, I assume it would flash if the transmission had a trouble code, like the 1st gens? It should throw a code if it was stuck in limp-in mode (stuck in 3rd), but it may not, as it could be mechanically stuck in 3rd gear, but electronically it see's it shifting through all gears. If that makes sense...

Based on those codes, the egr solenoid valve being stuck "open" could cause an issue like yours, but if it was stuck open the car should idle roughly. However I still wouldn't completely rule that out yet.

As far as the EVAP vent control code, that could be linked to a few issues. I'll just say that it's possible it could be causing your issue. Just a shot in the dark here, loosen your gas cap and go for a drive and see if the problem persists. This could throw another code, but won't affect anything once you put the gas cap back on. And you have to have the codes cleared at some point anyway, so what's an extra one?

Does the problem get worse as you drive? Or is just always the same thing from when you start to when you shut it off? When you described the problem, I assume you were referring to WOT from a stop?
The Problem doesn't seem to get worse, but rather gets a little better when the car has been driving after 20 mins or so. And as for it being stuck in 3rd gear, I think i can slightly feel the gear shift? it just takes really long to reach 3k RPMs.
#7 Old 02-16-2011, 07:27 AM
Vitamin L30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdarknessb View Post
The Problem doesn't seem to get worse, but rather gets a little better when the car has been driving after 20 mins or so. And as for it being stuck in 3rd gear, I think i can slightly feel the gear shift? it just takes really long to reach 3k RPMs.
As in, you see it lose a couple hundred revs? That's the torque converter's clutch kicking in. The car is almost definitely stuck in too high a gear. The question is, which one? i.e. How many mph do you get out of, say, 3000 RPM?

And seriously, does it go fast in reverse? If so, BAM. Trans is broke.

1999 Altima GXE 4AT.
eBay strutbar, LI A-arm brace, Racing Beat rear endlinks, rear disc brakes
ES A-arm bushings, ES RPL bushings, ES swaybar bushings, Megan Racing coilovers
RLR Motor Mounts, Speedline wheels
#8 Old 02-16-2011, 07:51 AM
2600 lbs

Have you tried the manual 1st and 2nd gear?
#9 Old 02-17-2011, 03:23 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Have you tried the manual 1st and 2nd gear?
Just tried it, and when starting from a complete stop in 1st or 2nd its the same struggle to pick up speed.

I also tried moving from drive to 2nd at 10mph 20mph, and also 30mph and when i move it into 2nd i feel the shift and feels like the car is being held back.

Last edited by bdarknessb; 02-17-2011 at 03:32 AM.
#10 Old 02-17-2011, 03:27 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA11R View Post
As in, you see it lose a couple hundred revs? That's the torque converter's clutch kicking in. The car is almost definitely stuck in too high a gear. The question is, which one? i.e. How many mph do you get out of, say, 3000 RPM?

And seriously, does it go fast in reverse? If so, BAM. Trans is broke.
once it moves from 2000 to 3000rmps, the speed picks up from 15-20 to about 30, also drove it on the highway and speed goes 50 to 60 without any problem at 2500-3000 rpms.

As for going in reverse, it feels the same as it always did, not too fast.

Last edited by bdarknessb; 02-17-2011 at 03:33 AM.
#11 Old 02-17-2011, 06:27 AM
2600 lbs

Seems like the transmission is not the issue. The fact it's so slow, you may be barely even feeling the shifts, especially if the transmission is in good shape.

Does the car idle roughly? Any stalling or hint of stalling (like the revs dip extremely low)?

Did you try what I said about the gas cap?
#12 Old 02-17-2011, 05:48 PM
NW Night Riders

i had a problem somewhat similar to that one but for me it started out like that then decided it didn't want to go at all and, if i put it in nuetral it went forward like when it's in drive and your foot's not on the brake. my problem i soon found out was that my transmission fluid was way too low and locked up some of the gears. perhaps your's is becoming the same? try topping off the tranny fluid anyway, can't hurt.

Selling my OEM 1st Gen fog light set up. 75 dollars.
#13 Old 02-17-2011, 07:15 PM
The Don.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If the problem doesn't end being the transmission then my guess would be something to do with the MAF or an exhaust restriction.

'94 Nissan Altima SE, 5spd.
Erebuni 905, Turboing, Hotshot CAI, UR Pulley, Calum ECU,
HUD & ATC retrofitted, DEPO lamps, NGK Ignition wires.
ITEMS FOR SALE
#14 Old 02-18-2011, 03:31 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Seems like the transmission is not the issue. The fact it's so slow, you may be barely even feeling the shifts, especially if the transmission is in good shape.

Does the car idle roughly? Any stalling or hint of stalling (like the revs dip extremely low)?

Did you try what I said about the gas cap?
Tried the gas cap loosened today and same issue. The car idles as it always did, not rough and hasnt stalled yet and doesnt feel like it will. Another thing I noticed since changing my spark plugs is that when i start the car, it wont always properly start up. For example, sometime it'll just crank and other it'll feel like.. its about to start then it goes down and then picks up and the car starts. I dont know if this is related to my current issue.

Another thing, once the car is nicely heated after being driven for about 15-20 mins, it works much better but not completely.

Lastly, today after driving the car for about 20 mins or so, I parked in front of my house and opened the hood and I noticed the container where the coolant liquid goes, was bubbling. I opened it up and saw bubbles but no steam or anything, is this normal?
#15 Old 02-18-2011, 06:30 AM
2600 lbs

That is not normal. That means your cooling system is not keeping pressure, which makes it boil at a much lower temperature. Usually It's the radiator cap that is faulty. If you haven't gotten any coolant drips under the car, and you don't appear to be losing coolant, then it's most likely the cap.

Going along with what Jserrano said, you can check for an exhaust restriction with a vacuum gauge. See if you can borrow or rent one. If you hook it up and the gauge starts off with a normal good reading (20 or so) but then slowly dips lower and lower as the engine runs, that may mean you have an exhaust restriction.

Do you have a haynes manual? They are always good to have, especially if you plan on keeping the car for a while. If you have one, you can look up MAF testing procedures.

On a side note, what happens if you just put it in park and rev the engine? Does it pick up instantly, or does it lag?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode