Code 1446 and gas filling problem...HELP! - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Code 1446 and gas filling problem...HELP!

My '00 GLE is throwing the P1446 code and when I'm trying to fill up the tank, the pump shuts off every gallon or less.

I've changed the Canister Vent Valve (originally I incorrectly said it was the purge solenoid)($100) because the old one was intermittent when testing it (the valve would work once then not again for like 10 seconds). I drove it for a couple days and then it threw the code again. I've taken the canister down and nothing came out of it but I didn't do much with it. I blew out the water separator and there was foam that came out of it, was that incorrectly done? Could the canister be bad? This is a Texas car, so I'm doubting the filler neck is rusted out (it doesn't look bad).

What else can I check?

Thanks for any help!

Kyle

EDIT - I replaced the Canister Vent Valve, the one attached to the charcoal canister.

Last edited by agkyle; 02-26-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2011, 01:44 AM
... don't get caught

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

1997 Altima, 5-speed;
144,000 miles.

Last edited by UhOh; 03-07-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:23 AM
2600 lbs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The vent control valve is stuck closed. I honestly don't know the exact location of this on your car, but that is the cause of your issue.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:02 PM

Is the vent control valve the one in the tank? I guess I'd need to drop the tank to check that?

The only problem is here in Dallas to pass inspection there can't be any codes being thrown and I am also trying to sell this car. It might be in my head but I think the gas mileage goes down quite a bit when the light is on, too. Does this run in a "limp" mode when that code is thrown? Or is that just me?
Old 02-26-2011, 03:25 PM

Maybe I got the wrong name for the part I replaced. I replaced the Canister Vent Valve, the one attached to the charcoal canister. I was thinking they called that a purge solenoid, but I guess not.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:56 PM
2600 lbs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Do you have a way to clear codes yourself? If so, try riding around with the gas cap loose, it may throw another code, but if you can erase it then you don't have to worry. You can determine from this if you gas tank is properly venting/creating vacuum, if the other code goes away.

It seems you may have already replaced the vent valve....if you are throwing a code for it, is it possible you put it in backwards? I'm not familiar with them on this car, so I'm not sure if they can be reversed.

I'm still not sure about the foam coming out of the water separator.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:56 PM

Yeah, I'm working at my family's shop and we're using a snap-on computer scanner. I've reset the code everytime it shows up.

I refueled today and after 2 gallons it squirted gas out everywhere. Slowed the pump down to the lowest and it stopped only once.

Are the "water separator" and the "refueling control valve" the same thing? We use ALLDATA repair software here and it shows those as being different components but they look the same. I might have blown the foam out of the "refueling control valve". The foam was like a deteriorated filter inside the component.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:01 PM

Here's a pic of what I'm looking at now. This looks like I was probably NOT messing with the "refueling control valve" because the thing I messed with was down by the canister behind the tire.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:36 PM

Ok, so I tried driving with the gas cap loose. Loose enough to smell gas when getting out of the car and it took 3 days and getting up to 70mph to make the light come on this time. Same code, 1446.

Then when I tightened the cap back up after clearing the code, it came back in the same day. UGH! What would cause that light to CONTINUALLY come on?!? Is the gas cap actually bad??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode