Stalls While Idling Only if Engine is Warm Only - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-22-2011, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Angry Stalls While Idling Only if Engine is Warm Only

My altima stalls randomly while idling, say at a stop or red light. I then have to wait a few minutes before it starts again. The starter is one year old and sounds good. My RPMs are very stready at ~750 RPMs while idling. At random, the engine will just shut off/stall. I have a check engine light on which is giving the knock sensor failure message. I have had this for about four years and have ignored it. Except for the stalling, the car runs great. If I give it gas, it will not stall. I replaced the distributor cap, rotor, plugs, wires, air filter, crank sensor (I had an error code for that) and cleaned the EGR valve. I noticed a small wear hole in the rectangular electronic's? box on the side of the MAF sensor. It is the small box with the harness plugged into it. However, I don't think a faulty MAF would cause the engine to just shut off the way my car does, considering that it idles smooth. When I unplug the MAF sensor, it idles rough so it seems to be doing its job. I think I am going to seal the small wear hole in this housing to keep moisture out. One other thing, the stalls do not start until after at least 10 to 15 minutes. Any thought on what else I can try?

Thanks!!!

One other thing, I let the car idle in my driveway today and it stopped running after about 15 minutes. It was idling smooth and then I heard a solenoid-like click and the car turned off. Once it has warmed up, it will stall every few minutes in the same way. The RPMs are at 750 and then there is an electronic click and the engine turns off. Any thoughts? When I tried it re-start it, I could not get ignition. I waited ten minutes and then it started fine again!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-23-2011, 03:04 AM
The Don.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It's most likely a bad distributor.

'94 Nissan Altima SE, 5spd.
Erebuni 905, Turboing, Hotshot CAI, UR Pulley, Calum ECU,
HUD & ATC retrofitted, DEPO lamps, NGK Ignition wires.
ITEMS FOR SALE
#3 Old 04-27-2011, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
JSerrano know what he is talking about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jserrano View Post
It's most likely a bad distributor.
It was the distributor. The car is running great now with a Hitachi salvage distributor. Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode