Smelling gas - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smelling gas

I've noticed the last few times I've filled up my car, after parking it for awhile, the interior absolutely REEKS of gas. There's also a noticeable gas smell around the back of the car.

First, I don't "top off" the tank, I just let it fill until the pump shuts off on its own. Second, it's normally parked facing uphill in my driveway - it's not as bad if the car is parked on a flat surface, but it's still there.

It's a 99, so it's OBD-2 - and it's not triggering any EVAP system codes. I've also been under the car and there's no signs of a leak, though there is a noticeable gasoline odor near the back. Nothing appears to be damp.

I looked at the FSM, and it looks like the fuel pump has 2 lines going to it, both connected with a section of rubber hose. Am I on the right track in thinking maybe one of those might be leaking? At the moment I'm ruling out the charcoal canister and filler neck, as I'm pretty sure both of those would trigger an evap-related code. Same with the tank itself.

Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2011, 05:10 PM
97AltimGXE

i have the same issue i smell gas on the rear side of where the filler neck is at.. have changed all hoses and clamps... still have no clue

Mod List
Place Racing Intake with k&n filter
SE Sides
Erebuni 905 rear
Falken Ziex ZE-912
98 alty 6 spoke alloy rims
UR Pulley
JDM smoked tail lights
IBI Eyelids
93-94 Grill

* New Pics to come Soon*
Old 09-24-2011, 11:53 PM

I have a gas smell in my interior also, but thats becuz i spilled the gas can for my quad in the trunk lmao.The smell will deff give you a mean headache. I bought some orange citrus air freshener spray and it works and smells good.

Im wondering if its coming from fuel pump hoses like u said. It make sense considering that the smell is inside the car and the fuel pump is under rear seat.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:11 AM

I've never spilled gas in the car, or overfilled it, or anything like that. I've put about 15k miles on it myself (has 148k) since I got it last August, the smell is a very recent development - like in the past month or so.

Also, there's vents in the trunk (behind the bumper cover), so even if the access panel under the back seat isn't letting fumes through, they can enter the car through those vents easily.

I'll try and get around to removing the rear seat sometime this week so I can have a peek at the pump and hoses, I just have very little in the way of free time. That'll give me a chance to tidy up the subwoofer wiring a bit anyway, it's just kind of shoved under the edge of the seat right now.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:22 PM
... don't get caught

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofbean View Post
I've put about 15k miles on it myself (has 148k) since I got it last August, the smell is a very recent development - like in the past month or so.

it's normally parked facing uphill in my driveway

Suggestions?
evaporative loss might explain your summer comment (if I recall) that you're getting the worst gas mileage in the heat of the summer.

... could try parking it facing downhill as a test after next fill.

1997 Altima, 5-speed;
144,000 miles.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:04 AM

The mileage hasn't gone up too much, I filled up today and it averaged out to 25.2. Surprised at that actually, since most of that tank was used to deliver pizza (started my old job at Papa John's this week). Used half of that tank today in about 120 miles though, I'll fill back up after work tomorrow.

However, we're still getting into the (low) 90s here. I'm sure my mileage will go up by a large amount when it's cool enough to drive without the a/c - right now that's a luxury I have to reserve for late night/early morning driving.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:06 AM

i have a 93 Altima. I'm not a mechanic, but i will do what i can with help from friends that are and also reading here. My gas line was leaking under car where gas tank is. hoses were brittle . line and and out.. the ones you see under car, goes up over tank connects to a metal lines, then is rubber again where fuel pump is under rear seat. I replaced both rubber fuel lines (4).. there is another filter on top of tank.. auto zone did not have.. might be dealer item.? No leaks after i did this .
About a month later i noticed i started to smell gas in morning when warming car up. After going somewhere in morning, i looked under car, no leaks and did not smell gas for rest of day... ..
Next time i started car in morning, i looked under car, gas was coming down from above tank down the rubber lines i just changed. i checked again later that day after driving.. no leaks... no sure whats going on.. Car ran good till the other day then car was sluggish like it was missing. i check plugs and one was wet (Oil). Replaced valve cover gaskets and new plugs. no more wet plug but still a little sluggish and it putters.. putt putt putt...
Is it sluggish because of gas pressure maybe?
I know i used 2 original clamps on hoses that i replaced.. that might be it... my next step is to remove seat and check those hoses by from fuel pump when starting in morning..i will follow up with new info after done.

Last edited by ggrreenn; 12-24-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:15 AM
Whats a Speed limit? :P

What condition is the Catback in? Over the summer, I had a lot of gas odour as my catback fell apart and it went away when I fixed it in October (Had the smell in the winter before that, too). You might be having a similar issue.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:43 PM

on my car , when fuel pump build up pressure when you first turn key, before it start, the gas leaks from the rubber fuel line before it connect to metal line that goes over tank.. i re-tighten and still leaks.it only does this on cold starts. i got fuel lines from Autozone. A friend told me to use high pressure fuel line.. that tank is so hard to drop, sit over exhaust pipe. for the sluggish i have one bad fuel injector.. ohm reading was 0..
Old 12-28-2011, 04:11 AM

Wow, talk about digging up an old thread. I should have updated it.

Anyway, surprise surprise, a new gas cap got rid of the smell. And my mileage has gone up considerably - my record before was 26.2 mpg, I hit 29.1 mpg on my last tank (city, even!). I figured a gas cap in that bad of shape would have set off an evap leak code, but it didn't.

I did get an evap code last week - found that the rubber hoses between the tank and charcoal canister were rotten, cracked, etc. Replacing them got rid of the code, though I haven't tackled the hoses on top of the tank yet.

ggrreenn, can you not reach the leaking line from above? If I ever have to drop the tank...
Old 12-29-2011, 06:25 AM

The rubber gas lines you see under your car, goes up along side of tank then connects to metal line that runs along top of tank. then connects to rubber line that connect to fuel pump that you see under rear seat..I am going to drop tank again this week end and replace Autozone fuel line with a better fuel line.Tank will drop at an angle so you don't have to remove muffler. it drops down toward driver side and i was able to change all rubber lines..

Last edited by ggrreenn; 12-29-2011 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:35 PM

29mpg?!? That makes me sick about my own '93....fuel economy is a constant 20mpg in the city! That's with new injectors, fpr, O2, CTS and the usual plugs/wires,etc.

I have an 01 engine/tranny with much shorter gearing (for some reason 2k/2k1 models were epa rated lower than 1st gens according to some research
Fuel Economy of the 2001 Nissan Altima).

Car was running rich but has not thrown a code in the last few days so I'm still waiting for my wife (has the car 99% of the time) to go through a few tanks to verify.

I'm getting around 120-140ish miles for the first 1/2 tank and about 230 total mileage. All city with the car having 4 passengers much of the week.

Stinks....
Old 12-31-2011, 10:09 PM
Whats a Speed limit? :P

Wow... the best mileage I've ever gotten with my 2000 was 26mpg highway/city mixed.

Generally, for city driving, I get 21-23mpg in warmer months and 16-18mpg in winter.

Highway driving, usually around 23-24mpg and 20ish in winter.

Its always been rather mediocre mileage until I replaced the catback a couple months ago. Granted, I have a lead foot. lol
Old 12-31-2011, 10:19 PM
97AltimGXE

hey i get about 220 on a full tank .... is that good or bad? i have a leak somewhere but i cant find it.

Mod List
Place Racing Intake with k&n filter
SE Sides
Erebuni 905 rear
Falken Ziex ZE-912
98 alty 6 spoke alloy rims
UR Pulley
JDM smoked tail lights
IBI Eyelids
93-94 Grill

* New Pics to come Soon*
Old 12-31-2011, 10:42 PM

I'm no expert but from what I have read in the past, the ethanol enriched fuels having less energy (IIRC) than traditional fuel, cause a loss of about 2-3mpg, so that may be part of the problem.

My '93 with the original engine and tranny and before E10 fuels, would average about 24-25mpg in the city and as high as mid 30s on the highway with bolt ons (best was 409miles on one tank from Memphis to New Orleans running AC).

Since then, city is around 19-20.5mpg, and not much better on the interstate due to the much shorter auto gearing (4.08FD) and likely my '93 TCU keeping the revs even higher than they should be....but that's what happens when you experiement in a rush lol....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode