1996 Altima GXE--How to replace Intake Manifold Gasket - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-06-2011, 01:05 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
1996 Altima GXE--How to replace Intake Manifold Gasket

1) When the car warms up the whole car shakes, until I give it gas. Rough Idle.

2) I did the vacuum leak test with carb cleaner and the problem goes away so I have a vacuum leak.

I just need to know how to replace the Intake Manifold Gasket? I am sure this is the cause. Plugs and wires are new.

Thanks!

FYI: Car has over 200K miles on it.
johnfrisco13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 12-06-2011, 01:12 AM
Carbon Meet Amber
 
StanzaDescendant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Coventry, Rhode Island
Posts: 4,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 34 Times in 33 Posts
iTrader: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco13 View Post
1) When the car warms up the whole car shakes, until I give it gas. Rough Idle.

2) I did the vacuum leak test with carb cleaner and the problem goes away so I have a vacuum leak.

I just need to know how to replace the Intake Manifold Gasket? I am sure this is the cause. Plugs and wires are new.

Thanks!

FYI: Car has over 200K miles on it.
Good luck with this. This gasket is not for the inexperienced. Although it is a $15 gasket, it will take hours to do and can be very frustrating. May I suggest examining the PCV system, any and all vacuum lines, and replacing the knock sensor while you have it all disassembled. There are however a few walkthrough's and DIY's in the FAQ.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cthunder
The more you mod your car the moodier it gets.
FX-R Projector Retro v3.0
ES Fog Retro v2.0
DIY Trunk/Chassis Bracing
StanzaDescendant is offline  
#3 Old 12-06-2011, 01:22 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanzaDescendant View Post
Good luck with this. This gasket is not for the inexperienced. Although it is a $15 gasket, it will take hours to do and can be very frustrating. May I suggest examining the PCV system, any and all vacuum lines, and replacing the knock sensor while you have it all disassembled. There are however a few walkthrough's and DIY's in the FAQ.
Thanks. Can you please provide me a direct link for DIY's for the 1996 Altima Manifold Gasket Intake Gasket Replacement?
johnfrisco13 is offline  
#4 Old 12-06-2011, 01:32 AM
Stop Being Cheap.
 
BeeCee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Jerz
Posts: 5,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 29 Times in 16 Posts
iTrader: 2 reviews
They are all in the FAQ forum:

F.A.Q 1993-2001 - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum


Best way to go about it is get yourself a Haynes manual, and just get in and do it.

The biggest key factors are, taking your time, organzation, having the right tools, and did I mention taking your time?



The Alt.
1999 Nissan Altima GXE

SHIFT_Into Drive!



Member's Ride Thread

The Garage

Parts FOR SALE!
BeeCee is online now  
#5 Old 12-06-2011, 01:48 AM
Carbon Meet Amber
 
StanzaDescendant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Coventry, Rhode Island
Posts: 4,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 34 Times in 33 Posts
iTrader: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeCee View Post
They are all in the FAQ forum:

F.A.Q 1993-2001 - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum


Best way to go about it is get yourself a Haynes manual, and just get in and do it.

The biggest key factors are, taking your time, organzation, having the right tools, and did I mention taking your time?
+1.

Take your time. Just remember, if you rush it and damage the gasket or mess up somewhere along the way you won't know until the job is done and everything is back together. And believe me, you will NOT want to pull it all back apart if something is messed up.

Take plenty of reference pictures, separate nuts and bolts and label them, hell even go to a junkyard and practice on a junker if you feel the need to.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cthunder
The more you mod your car the moodier it gets.
FX-R Projector Retro v3.0
ES Fog Retro v2.0
DIY Trunk/Chassis Bracing
StanzaDescendant is offline  
#6 Old 12-06-2011, 02:38 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Denton TX
Posts: 617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanzaDescendant View Post
May I suggest examining the PCV system, any and all vacuum lines, and replacing the knock sensor while you have it all disassembled.
The knock sensor is actually really easy to replace from below the car; about 30 minutes of work. Still, "while it's apart" is a good time to do it.

There's a seller on ebay that has knock sensors for $15. Haven't had an issue with the one I got from him, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the $170 courtesyparts.com wanted.
lifeofbean is offline  
#7 Old 12-06-2011, 02:54 AM
Carbon Meet Amber
 
StanzaDescendant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Coventry, Rhode Island
Posts: 4,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 34 Times in 33 Posts
iTrader: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofbean View Post
The knock sensor is actually really easy to replace from below the car; about 30 minutes of work. Still, "while it's apart" is a good time to do it.

There's a seller on ebay that has knock sensors for $15. Haven't had an issue with the one I got from him, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the $170 courtesyparts.com wanted.
Speak for yourself on that, lol. There's a reason why I have a spare sensor and harness, And it's not for when the one in there goes bad.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cthunder
The more you mod your car the moodier it gets.
FX-R Projector Retro v3.0
ES Fog Retro v2.0
DIY Trunk/Chassis Bracing
StanzaDescendant is offline  
#8 Old 12-06-2011, 03:03 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Denton TX
Posts: 617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Well it only took me about 35 minutes anyway. Front of the car on jackstands, flashlight shining down between #2 and #3 intake runners so that I could see what I was doing, either a 10mm or 12mm wrench, and a small flathead screwdriver. Though I do have kinda small arms...

And some clean boxers for when I dropped the wrench and it bounced off the cable to the starter. Not a fan of sparks inches from my face.



Last edited by lifeofbean; 12-06-2011 at 03:06 AM.
lifeofbean is offline  
#9 Old 12-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Stop Being Cheap.
 
BeeCee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Jerz
Posts: 5,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 29 Times in 16 Posts
iTrader: 2 reviews
Yea, I've been saying for the longest the KS can be done from under the car with no problem.



The Alt.
1999 Nissan Altima GXE

SHIFT_Into Drive!



Member's Ride Thread

The Garage

Parts FOR SALE!
BeeCee is online now  
#10 Old 12-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Carbon Meet Amber
 
StanzaDescendant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Coventry, Rhode Island
Posts: 4,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 34 Times in 33 Posts
iTrader: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeCee View Post
Yea, I've been saying for the longest the KS can be done from under the car with no problem.
Oh, I know it can be done from underneath. I'm just stating that it can be done easier with the IM out of the way, and you'll have the peace of mind knowing that the KS is new.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cthunder
The more you mod your car the moodier it gets.
FX-R Projector Retro v3.0
ES Fog Retro v2.0
DIY Trunk/Chassis Bracing
StanzaDescendant is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


<

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome