Battery keeps dying.. - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-06-2012, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Battery keeps dying..

I've got a Nissan Altima 1997. The other day it shut off while I was driving. First the headlights got real dim, the airbag light flashed on and off, the rpms started to drop, and then the engine just shut off while I was driving. I was able to jump the battery but it shut off on me again while i was driving. I brought the battery to autozone and they told me it was a bad battery so I bought a new one. Installed the new battery and everything was fine for a couple of days.

Tried starting it one day and it wouldn't start. I jumped it but ran into the same problems as before. I did a visual check on the alternator and the drivebelt seems just fine. It's in good condition and it has no problems rotating. I checked all the fuses and they're fine too. I can't get my car to a mechanic because frankly I don't have enough money to get a tow truck. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-06-2012, 11:55 PM
Carbon Meet Amber

By any chance were the battery/brake lights on prior to all this starting?

Is the alternator an original OEM piece or is it aftermarket? How many miles are on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthunder
The more you mod your car the moodier it gets.
FX-R Projector Retro v3.0
ES Fog Retro v2.0
DIY Trunk/Chassis Bracing
#3 Old 02-07-2012, 12:11 AM

(Thread Starter)
I just remember the air bag light going on and off just before all the lights on the dashboard started flickering and the engine dying.

The car has 185,000 miles and I received it when it had 165,000. Since receiving the car the alternator hasn't been changed so I couldn't tell you if it's a replacement. From the looks of it though it seems like the original alternator.
#4 Old 02-07-2012, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Alternator...I can nearly 100% guarantee it!

Wheels/Suspension: 5Zigen 19x8 Pro Racers-Falken F452 245/35/19 Tires-Eibach Sportline Springs
Visual: S5 Grille-20% Tint-M3 Window lip Spoiler-LED Cluster/Switches-TWM Weighted Shift Knob
Performance: C-man Headers-C-man 3" Y-Pipe-Magnaflow Exhaust-PNP'd Heads w/Ferra Valves-RevUp Oil Pump-Pulley-JWT C9 Cams-Haltech Platinum ECU-Fujita5 CAI-Weisco Pistons-ARP Head Studs
Audio: Kenwood DNX-9140-ZED Leviathan-Focal Speakers-Sound Deadened-XBox-270Amp Alt
#5 Old 02-07-2012, 12:24 AM

(Thread Starter)
I can't get it to a mechanic right now so could I test it out the alternator myself? What would I need exactly?
#6 Old 02-07-2012, 12:31 AM
Carbon Meet Amber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpark View Post
I can't get it to a mechanic right now so could I test it out the alternator myself? What would I need exactly?
If you can get it off the car and get to an AutoZone or Pep Boys they both do bench testing on alternators.

Quote:
ES Fog Retro v2.0
#7 Old 02-07-2012, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Replace it. The fact the car died while driving indicates the alt is at fault....more then likely the internal voltage regulator. While the car is running, the alt provides ALL power, not the battery. The battery is placed in a "charging" state. If i were you i would call around to some auto parts stores locally and price them out. Shouldnt be more then about $150.00 if that. Easy to install as well. Can you even start the car now, if the battery is dead? Do you have a multimeter to check the battery voltage BEFORE you try to start the car? If you do, check the battery voltage at the terminals first....record the voltage. If charged it should be between 11.3-12.5 volts.....If you can start the car, check the voltage again at the battery terminals, and record the reading. It should read between 13.5 on the low side to 14.0...maybe as high as 14.4. If the reading is above 14.4 or below 13.5 there is a problem. The alt needs to be at or near 14.XX volts in order to overcome the resistence of the 12 volt battery in order to recharge it AND power the car's electrical needs while doing so. Me thinks its the alt.

Wheels/Suspension: 5Zigen 19x8 Pro Racers-Falken F452 245/35/19 Tires-Eibach Sportline Springs
Visual: S5 Grille-20% Tint-M3 Window lip Spoiler-LED Cluster/Switches-TWM Weighted Shift Knob
Performance: C-man Headers-C-man 3" Y-Pipe-Magnaflow Exhaust-PNP'd Heads w/Ferra Valves-RevUp Oil Pump-Pulley-JWT C9 Cams-Haltech Platinum ECU-Fujita5 CAI-Weisco Pistons-ARP Head Studs
Audio: Kenwood DNX-9140-ZED Leviathan-Focal Speakers-Sound Deadened-XBox-270Amp Alt
#8 Old 02-07-2012, 01:40 AM

(Thread Starter)
I must've jumped the battery about 10 times so far. Everytime i jump it, the car starts up and runs for a couple of minutes and then dies out again.
#9 Old 02-07-2012, 01:46 AM
Carbon Meet Amber

Quote:
I must've jumped the battery about 10 times so far. Everytime i jump it, the car starts up and runs for a couple of minutes and then dies out again.
Definitely an alternator issue then.

Quote:
ES Fog Retro v2.0
#10 Old 02-07-2012, 01:48 AM
Super Moderator

This is the definition of insanity. (Doing the samething over and over expecting something different to happen). I know this is frustrating, but if the battery is drained that low that you have to jump it to start the car, AND then it dies shortly after, the alternator is all that it can be. Again, if the alternator is healthy, once you get the battery jumped and the car started, it will continue to run. However if the alternator is not healthy, no matter how many times you jump the car, it will not stay running. You need to replace the alt.
Quote:

#11 Old 02-07-2012, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry, I know this is frustrating as hell. Can you get a new alt now?

#12 Old 02-07-2012, 01:49 AM
... don't get caught

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yep, sounds like alternator. Mine went out ~ 115,000 miles. Take it out, then to auto parts store for testing. I go to NAPA, but they're more $ for better quality parts.

beyond that, and it's not the biggest of your problems, but try soon to fully recharge the new battery using a ~6-8 amp charger, if you or your neighbor has one (I'd knock on doors even - if your short money).
Batteries, especially new ones can take full discharges (like what you've done) a couple or more times, then it starts to show on their lifetime duration. But the longer they're down in charge, the worse it is.

Any auto parts store, Sears, Harbor Freight Tools, Walmart has new chargers. $30?. Simple directions,
but read before hooking up if first time. Can last a lifetime. Sorry don't know your car knowledge; no insult intended

1997 Altima, 5-speed;
144,000 miles.

Last edited by UhOh; 02-07-2012 at 01:53 AM.
#13 Old 02-07-2012, 02:03 AM

(Thread Starter)
Yea the reason I jumped it so many times was to get the car home. Everytime I jumped it I would get about 5 blocks before it went out on me. I suppose the next step will be to take out the alternator so that I can bring it to an autoparts store for testing. I appreciate all the help guys.
#14 Old 02-07-2012, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

Best of luck to you.

#15 Old 02-07-2012, 02:08 AM

(Thread Starter)
do you need any special tools to take out the alternator?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode