Replaced TPS, still have accel. hesitation - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Replaced TPS, still have accel. hesitation

Hi,
I bought a '01 Altima GXE at an auction. I've replaced wires/plugs/distributor,rotor/valve cover gasket/fuel filter<--unnecessary.
When i 1st got it the car had a severe hesitation accelerating. Everything I've done has helped bit by bit. I cleaned the EGR valve, the sensor had lots of carbon on it. I replaced all vacuum hoses visible. I also changed oil and filter.
The car has 212,000+ miles.

I brought the car to a mechanic and he told me my Throttle Position Sensor was bad, so i replaced it. He also said my catalytic converter was clogged. I removed it today only to find it wasn't. I am soaking it in strong Dawn water anyway.

I tested the intake manifold gasket for leaks especially around the furthest right cylinder (standing in front of the car) Nothing happened when i sprayed starter fluid around each intake. I have read on the internet that every 2001 had a problem with the intake manifold gasket. And i doubt the owner before me changed it, considering the condition when i got it.

Do u think its the intake manifold gasket causing me acceleration hesitation? It is accelerating in spurts. Thanks -RacerX309

Last edited by RacerX309; 03-19-2012 at 05:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
need a lil more info, ill try to help. Does it idle fine? When you experience this, is it at certain speeds or it doesnt matter? Have you tried checking for vacume leaks. You need to find out what is causing it, otherwise your just going to be throwing parts onto it to find out the fix could have been like a $10 part and you sunk a lot more to find out

2009 Altima coupe 2.5 6spd; my babe!

Amsoil synthetics, LED lights, illuminated kickplates, WC Lathewerks shift knob, Racing Line STS/TB kit/strut bar/RSB/ front & rear end links/ first 4th gen 2.5 with racing Line springs, first 4th gen to swap 7th gen maxima brakes (on 16" wheels).
-Plans for now/future:restored old school wheels in progress/ quad projector retrofit in progress.

Best 1/4 mile; 15.598@88.3MPH factory stock to the tires.

DD/work ride; 2000 Nissan Xterra 4WD V6 5spd
-Damn thing has a taste for blood and all my time, bringing him back to life= taking my money
Old 03-19-2012, 06:05 AM

Hey Wade, nice ride!
It idles perfect in Park, but when i put it in drive it shakes like crazy, my dad thinks thats because a motor mount is broke because when watching the engine it jumps when put into drive. It has hesitation at all speeds under acceleration. But when I get to speed, say 50 or 70 it purrs. It used to knock occasionally when cruising but i replaced the TPS friday and it hasn't done it yet. I found the how-to on replacing the manifold gasket and i can do it myself. Just not sure if thats the problem.
Thanks, -RacerX309
Old 03-19-2012, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX309 View Post
Hey Wade, nice ride!
It idles perfect in Park, but when i put it in drive it shakes like crazy, my dad thinks thats because a motor mount is broke because when watching the engine it jumps when put into drive. It has hesitation at all speeds under acceleration. But when I get to speed, say 50 or 70 it purrs. It used to knock occasionally when cruising but i replaced the TPS friday and it hasn't done it yet. I found the how-to on replacing the manifold gasket and i can do it myself. Just not sure if thats the problem.
Thanks, -RacerX309
Thanks for the compliment
I doubt the TPS was bad, if it was bad you would get a hesitation at certain speeds, the motor mounts may be bad, but they wont cause that problem. To really find out it would have to be hooked to a diagnostic scan tool to help troubleshoot it.

2009 Altima coupe 2.5 6spd; my babe!

Amsoil synthetics, LED lights, illuminated kickplates, WC Lathewerks shift knob, Racing Line STS/TB kit/strut bar/RSB/ front & rear end links/ first 4th gen 2.5 with racing Line springs, first 4th gen to swap 7th gen maxima brakes (on 16" wheels).
-Plans for now/future:restored old school wheels in progress/ quad projector retrofit in progress.

Best 1/4 mile; 15.598@88.3MPH factory stock to the tires.

DD/work ride; 2000 Nissan Xterra 4WD V6 5spd
-Damn thing has a taste for blood and all my time, bringing him back to life= taking my money

Last edited by Wade01; 03-19-2012 at 06:23 AM. Reason: addition
Old 03-21-2012, 01:58 AM

I tried carb cleaner around the intake manifold gasket. I have read on the internet that every 2001 has the manifold gasket go out between 60-80k miles. Mine has 212,000+ and i really believe my gasket leaking is causing my rough idle and hesitation when accelerating, it accelerates in spurts.
Which hose would i hook up a smoke machine to? or does anyone have any advice.
Thanks.

Last edited by RacerX309; 03-21-2012 at 02:04 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:14 AM

You need to make absolutely sure there are no leaks between the MAF and the throttle body.

The MAF is the big sensor that sits next to the air filter. There's a resonator that clips to the bottom of the intake duct, and there's also a hose running from the valve cover to the intake duct. And make sure the intake duct is securely attached to the throttle body.

The hose from the valve cover to the intake gets brittle over time - mine was split in half when I got my car. And bulk hose really won't work for it, you need to get an OEM molded hose ($15 at Courtesyparts.com... ouch). No need to replace it unless it's cracked.

If there's any leaks between the MAF and throttle body, the engine computer goes "WTF DUDE".
Old 03-30-2012, 03:54 PM

Just another thought, since you replaced the TPS, are you sure the voltage is within spec. IIRC, most set it around .5v or so...

Also, have you checked your timing?
Old 04-08-2012, 04:15 AM
The name says it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade01 View Post
Thanks for the compliment
I doubt the TPS was bad, if it was bad you would get a hesitation at certain speeds, the motor mounts may be bad, but they wont cause that problem. To really find out it would have to be hooked to a diagnostic scan tool to help troubleshoot it.
not trying to jack this thread but if his tps was bad would he have hesitation at certain speeds or certain rpms?

- Header back exhaust (obx 4-2-1 header, High flow catback by magnaflow)
- UR Flywheel
- UR Pulley
- Centerforce DF clutch
- Short throw shifter
- Injen short ram air intake setup
- MSD Ignition (6al)
- MSD Ignition coil (Blaster SS)
- 9mm spark plug wires
- Grounding kit
- Kyb gr-2 struts
- Eibach Pro kit springs
- Suspension Techniques sway bar
- Front strut brace
Old 04-08-2012, 12:43 PM

A MAF sensor itself can cause some pretty bad hesitation if it goes out. It's also not limited to a certain RPM like a TPS.

You can try disconnecting the MAF sensor and seeing if the hesitation is still there though you'll be limited to 2500RPM's. Swapping in an OEM junkyard one (what I did) or testing it with a multimeter would be the other options.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode