The Nissan Club banner

99 Altima shuts off while driving?

9K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Elo 
#1 ·
I replaced the distributor about 2 months ago after we had a no start. It worked once we poured gasoline str8 into the intake. Now, twice, it's happened where driving along, all of a sudden it's dead? Luckily, it started up again & we weren't on the highway when this happened. My dad took it to a mechanic & he says (after scanning it) that it needs a disty & a cam position sensor. Not sure why a disty (probably scamming)?
I was thinking this is fuel related. I read a post or 2 about the same CPS & also possibly a maf or egr valve?
Any help is appreciated, thanks

#2 ·
A sudden intermittent stop I'd guess is electrical. If can't pin it down, I'd go to Nissan dealer.
maybe join the CAA first and pick a membership category to include the tow distance to the Nissan dealership.

#4 ·
theres not gonna be any codes, its your ignition transistor, that little chip that sits over your maf sensor that says PRW-2 or something, when it goes bad (extremely rare occurance) it over heats and cuts power to your distributor, thus shutting the car off instantly. car turns off, you freak out, pull over, by which time chip has cooled down a bit, you crank it and it starts up again. and you drive off with a confused look on your face.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.