99 Altima fuel pump removal - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-01-2012, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
99 Altima fuel pump removal

Everything I've read or been told says there should be clips on either side of the pump housing that I need to depress to release the fuel pump from the shoe. I don't see them, I can't feel them either. Of course, my pump setup looks different than the one in the Haynes manual. Pic of mine is attached.

I figured out how to release the float on the left. Any help with the pump removal would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	99 alt fuel pump.jpg
Views:	3256
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	33447  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-02-2012, 01:55 AM

I just went through that dilemma over the weekend swapping in a Walbo in my 98. Second gen fuel pump assembly changed but wasn't reflected in the Haynes manual or the FSM.

Found out the Sentra (B14 I think) share a similar setup as 2nd gen Altimas and used this write up to get me through:

roastedpavement.com- Walbro Fuel Pump Install

Basically, tab on the bottom and slide toward the front of the car. Pull out the pump and assembly all together.

Last edited by Alti-G; 04-02-2012 at 02:03 AM.
#3 Old 04-03-2012, 05:03 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Alti-G, that's good info, I'll look for the tab on the bottom of the pump holder
#4 Old 04-04-2012, 04:15 PM

Yeah, actually another member recently posted about his 97 IIRC that had the redesigned pump....I could see how the 2nd gen redesign might require some changes due to possible fuel tank redesign,etc (if that even happened) but kindof weird that it was on the '97 chassis as well...at least in that one case...

Fixing to change the pump in my '93 when I get time and those clips were a pain the last time I had to do it....
#5 Old 04-04-2012, 11:25 PM

I remember reading through that thread, don't know why Nissan does those little changes just before a new generation. Might have to see if my 97 is part of that freak group.

Should be quicker next time around at least. Haven't swapped out a first gen pump though, so can't say much. 2nd gen was pretty cake though, haha.

Last edited by Alti-G; 04-04-2012 at 11:28 PM.
#6 Old 04-19-2012, 05:05 PM

(Thread Starter)
Swapped out my fuel pump this weekend. You need to remove the fuel gauge assy first. It is snapped into place to the left of the pump. It has its own tab to release it.
As for the pump itself, it was real easy once knew where to find the tabs. You don't actually see them looking down into the tank, but if you feel around under the housing you'll find them, gently pull up and then just slide the pump toward the front of the car.

My worst fear was of pressing or pulling the clips too hard in the wrong direction and breaking them. So I searched images on ebay for pump/sending units for my year/model and found one where I could really see where the clips were and how they functioned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode