High fuel consumption - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-01-2012, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
High fuel consumption

Hi to all,just a newbie here. have a question bout my car.its a 95 altima gxe with 208,000 km. it was given to us a gift.the car is immaculately clean. goes and runs smooth. but i recently measured my fuel consumption by putting fuel till the pump goes auto stop then reset my trip odometer to zero. then when i used all the fuel and the reserved light went on i immediately filled it up again to full till auto stop and saw my trip odometer that i have driven it for only 320 kms and filled it up again with 50 liters of fuel. if i did it right then my consupmtion is 1 liter to only 6kms! thats quite high. the car is running smooth,also has power,idling is perfect,seems nothing wrong with it.any insights about this brothers? thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-01-2012, 07:14 PM
... don't get caught

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
my '97 is the same generation. The tanks have an air pocket in the top that I estimate @ 7 - 9 liters.
Your problem may be due to uneven fill levels, due to this air pocket.

After pump clicks off you can rock the car and you'll hear air bubbles burping out.
with care I can add ~ 4 liters after pump clicks off, and
even more if car is tilted to side at an uneven station.

1997 Altima, 5-speed;
144,000 miles.

Last edited by UhOh; 11-01-2012 at 07:22 PM.
#3 Old 11-01-2012, 07:29 PM

(Thread Starter)
ok sir, youre saying that i have to jiggle the car to squeeze and fill up more fuel?then if that would be the case,then i maybe having a much more worse fuel mileage in which i didnt only have to fill up 50 liters?maybe 55 or more,then my consumption would drop to a lower than 6km per liter. oh i forgot to include i have an auto tranny and tuned it up and changed the oil with the filter,running on 30 psi on all 4 winter tires, od on all the time,not too heavy on the pedal coz just got mky license here in canada.just flew in here from the philippines.dont want to commti my first encounter with the cops here,hehehe.

Last edited by I AM LEGEND; 11-01-2012 at 07:31 PM.
#4 Old 11-01-2012, 07:33 PM
... don't get caught

saying inconsistent fill level on one tank may be the cause of the bad calculation result.
give it a try for a few tanks...nothing to lose as I see it.

1997 Altima, 5-speed;
144,000 miles.
#5 Old 11-01-2012, 07:39 PM

(Thread Starter)
yup, will do that.but when i was int the philippines, that consumption is good for a ford expedition! lol! i was shocked.normally it would be acceptable if i go at at least 10kms/liter.
#6 Old 11-03-2012, 08:03 AM

A bad oxygen sensor could contribute to bad mileage. A thermostat that's stuck open could easily be causing that too; cold engines run rich as shit.

Also, never ever top off a full tank. You'll destroy the EVAP system in a hurry doing that.
#7 Old 11-04-2012, 02:22 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofbean View Post
A bad oxygen sensor could contribute to bad mileage. A thermostat that's stuck open could easily be causing that too; cold engines run rich as shit.

Also, never ever top off a full tank. You'll destroy the EVAP system in a hurry doing that.
Thanks for the insights. I want to know if a failure in the o2 sensor or egr or a ot so good themostat that it will be always be late in engaging so the car might stay a little cold? I have been reading the threads and posts and just to give you guys an example. i read tha tone guy here gets only 18mpg, so to convert it, hes getting 7.6km/liter whereas i can only manage to get 6km/liter. it seems im driving a 6cyl even worse.the car is going fine,smooth and no quirks. also read to maybe up the psi, did that and bumped the 4 to 35 from the 30s. but as i drive on the freeweay, i noticed that the car wanders, cant stay in his lane without constant steering corrections.abd felt unstable not to say rides a littler bit hard.im gonna lower it to 33 and observe what happens. to those of you who are viewing this though not participating, i will update this thread from time to time. maybe in a couple3 of days coz i just filled the tank full last friday. trip meter is on the 1ookms and fuel gauge is a little lower or to the right of the full (F) mark.
#8 Old 11-04-2012, 06:43 PM

In my experience, the shorter the distance driven will result in lower fuel economy. Maybe I am wrong and need to work on my own car, but I went from 24 mpg on a 10 mile one way trip to 15 on a 1.5 mile one way trip. 10 days ago you filled up and in those 10 days you've gone 100km. Average of 10km per day I would expect a worse MPG.

Anyone know better than I so maybe I can get my own MPG up?

1999 Nissan Altima GXE
1995 GMC Vandura 2500 Hightop Conversion
#9 Old 11-06-2012, 01:30 AM
... don't get caught

Quote:
On most fill-ups I've been putting in an extra 3 or 4 liters, tank space achieved by - rocking,
after initial pump click-off, for the last 40,000 miles with no ill effects as far as I can see.

I'm trying to achieve that full tank, which is frustrated by the apparent design of our fuel tanks.

But, other than getting reliable fuel mpg, there is no advantage to consistently maxing the fuel in a tank.
So, having thought that through, I think I'll just let it be from now on ...

1997 Altima, 5-speed;
144,000 miles.
#10 Old 11-08-2012, 05:19 AM
U13, yo.

So is 24 mpg average for our cars? (95 alti here)

#11 Old 11-08-2012, 06:25 AM

The official EPA rating for my 99 manual is 21/24/28 (city/mixed/highway).

I average around 24-25 commuting (which, for me, is mostly 45 mph city streets), best so far is 27 on a tank that was 50% all highway, the rest mixed commuter type stuff. Summer drops to about 22 in mixed driving, I guess the combination of 100+ temps (air isn't as dense at those temps, and high underhood temps), plus the a/c being cranked up all the time. I'm still running the a/c during the day, but only until the sun goes down. Hopefully this weekend's cold front will bring an end to the ~80 degree days.

80.. in November.

Keep in mind I have a 2000 gearbox - the final drive is a bit shorter, which seems to bump me up by about 200-250 rpm at highway speeds (compared to the original gearbox). I think I'm doing pretty good with this mileage, especially at 165k.
#12 Old 11-08-2012, 06:30 AM
U13, yo.

Yeah, Miami here, and I'm at 165k as well. At least it cools down in the evenings now for me thanks to the sea breeze...

#13 Old 11-08-2012, 06:36 AM

I'm sitting right at 335 miles on this tank, low fuel light has been on for about 15 of those. Gonna guess this tank is about 23-24, almost all city.

Time to find out if there's really 2 gallons left when the light comes on like the manual claims, my new radiator wiped me out until Friday.
#14 Old 11-08-2012, 10:41 AM
... don't get caught

Quote:
Time to find out if there's really 2 gallons left when the light comes on like the manual claims...
We've 2.7 gals left according to my experience ...
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/gen...some-pics.html

1997 Altima, 5-speed;
144,000 miles.
#15 Old 11-08-2012, 10:14 PM

I should have a V8 with the crappy mileage I'm getting...'93 auto with 2000 4.08 FD gearing and mismatched TCU means an extra 250 rpm on top of the standard gearing. At 70mph I'm around 3100rpm!!

I'm only getting about 20 all city (well my wife driving very non aggressively) and maybe 22mpg 50/50 mixed city/hwy...this tranny is killing me and no time to figure out how to rewire the tcu...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode