The Nissan Club banner

Vehicle died on highway and throws 2 codes

2K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  RetiredGuns 
#1 ·
My Daughter drives a '99 Altima and today it died going down the tollway at 70mph. It gave no prior indication of trouble. It cranks but that's it. The 2 codes are P0325 & P0340 - knock sensor and cam sensor. I can see the cam sensor doing this, but am wondering about the knock sensor. Can one set off another? I'm a decent mechanic, but don't like throwing parts at the car. I'll get a better idea tomorrow, just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem.
Thanks
Steve

#2 ·
The knock sensor isn't your issue.

The knock sensor code (P0325) ONLY comes on when paired with another code.

In broader terms, the P0325 isn't a trouble code that comes up by itself. It won't show up until another code is thrown that trigger's the Check Engine Light, and then P0325 acompany's what ever the other code is, in your case it's the P0340.

The cam sensor is your issue.

#6 ·
Well, went home at lunch popped the distro cap and took off the oil filler cap to see cams. Had my Boss watch and when I turned it over, neither the rotor shaft or cams move. I'm thinking at a minimum the top chain is broken. Oh boy....

#9 ·
Well Fellas, as unlikely is it is to break a chain, here's the proof. There is no lower chain on the sprocket. Obviously why the cams don't turn, etc..

I am a pretty good driveway mechanic, but don't have the time to pull this thing apart. The valves are all closed which is good (thank goodness for auto trans) Any idea what a shop might charge to put a new chain on?

On the good note, I can't believe how clean this 165k motor looks on the top.

#16 ·
1st for me hearing of this ever. Altima, maxima, 300z, 350z, pathfinder, armada, etc... only chain guides totally breaking off and ridiculous chatter but engines still run. WTF! I just hit 187 yesterday. I wonder if that was a replacement chain?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.