The Nissan Club banner

07 Altima Mirror whistle.....

7K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  rolyasmatt 
#1 ·
Does anyone else have this problem.... I have a 07 Altima 2.5S and I took it in today for it's first oil change and to see about a whistling mirror on the drivers side.... I had a feeling I would get the answer I got, it's normal... BS if it was then both sides would do it... They claimed to driver an 08 and it did the same thing. It is just an annoyance but wanted to see if anyone else had the problem.... Thanks
Mark

#2 ·
Its only when you have the window open right? I get it too and it annoys me sometimes. I think its just wind passing through the silver trim on the side or something since it starts near the mirror but i dont know, i didnt think it was a huge deal but if you find out what it is, let us know. No whistle is better then any whistle. but i figured it was wind since when you slow down, its gone.

#3 ·
Yes there is a whistle there. I notice it, but my wife doesn't. She's one to drive around all summer with the windows up and AC one, where I like my windows down for fresh toxic city air. If you put your hand in teh little dip between the mirror and window there is no more whistle.

If it bothers you alot you could find some simple black body moulding at any automotive store and simply mount a small peice o it on the top back edge of the mirror to reduce or remove the annoying whistle. Or buy aftermarket mirrors.

IMO, I just turn the radio up.

#4 ·
I go windows down because i like fresh air. Forget filters, clean air is for wusses.

#5 ·
Yeah I noticed the whistle right away. I guess you get use to it. Actually I don't really notice it anymore. Man:banghead: thanks for reminding me!

#7 ·
Whistling fixed from last year

The following is a copy and paste from the last year thread reference to the same problem that I had with the driver side mirror. From last year after the dealer replaced the whole mirror assy. the whistling vanished. I hope this can help you.:)

My Altima 2.5 has the whistling problem and I notice that the noise increase when I lower my driver window. I spend some time checking from where is coming the noise using masking tape around the window and mirror and I found my problem.

The shell cover attached to the back of the mirror use a few snap tabs to keep it in place. The lower tab is broken, making the shell to be loose at the lower part. The wind around the mirror find the way to go between the mirror and the shell exiting to the from of the mirror creating the whistling noise.

I just put a piece of tape at the lower part keeping tightened together both the mirror and the shell. Now the problem is fixed temporarily. No more whistling.

I say temporarily, because I don't want to be driving a new car with a piece of tape hanging from my mirror all the time.

I took my car to the dealer and the service department agree to replace the whole mirror assembly and not just the shell. Because is very easy to break the snap tabs even from the factory sometime are coming already broken. Of course, everything is going to be cover under the warranty.

Tomorrow I am going to take my car to the dealer to replace the mirror asembly. The part was in back order, because the mirror with the shell has to mach the color of the car.

The following link is a buletin from nissan about the replacement of the mirror shell, it applies to a diferent model, but is the same idea in the 07 Altima.

nissanhelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/2005/NTB05-038.htm

#8 ·
Whistling fixed from last year

The following is a copy and paste from the last year thread reference to the same problem that I had with the driver side mirror. From last year after the dealer replaced the whole mirror assy. the whistling vanished. I hope this can help you.:)

My Altima 2.5 has the whistling problem and I notice that the noise increase when I lower my driver window. I spend some time checking from where is coming the noise using masking tape around the window and mirror and I found my problem.

The shell cover attached to the back of the mirror use a few snap tabs to keep it in place. The lower tab is broken, making the shell to be loose at the lower part. The wind around the mirror find the way to go between the mirror and the shell exiting to the from of the mirror creating the whistling noise.

I just put a piece of tape at the lower part keeping tightened together both the mirror and the shell. Now the problem is fixed temporarily. No more whistling.

I say temporarily, because I don't want to be driving a new car with a piece of tape hanging from my mirror all the time.

I took my car to the dealer and the service department agree to replace the whole mirror assembly and not just the shell. Because is very easy to break the snap tabs even from the factory sometime are coming already broken. Of course, everything is going to be cover under the warranty.

Tomorrow I am going to take my car to the dealer to replace the mirror asembly. The part was in back order, because the mirror with the shell has to mach the color of the car.

The following link is a buletin from nissan about the replacement of the mirror shell, it applies to a diferent model, but is the same idea in the 07 Altima.

nissanhelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/2005/NTB05-038.htm

#10 ·
Just got back from the dealer a little while ago.

They tested my side mirror and they said the whistling noise is prolly from the molding on the mirror when it was made. So it wasn't a good "aero design."

He said hes heard of it before with others.

The Answer:

He ordered me a new side mirror all under warranty. Should be in next week.

Good luck!

#12 ·
Whistling noise FIXED!!!

I had been suffering from the horrendous whistling noise coming from the side view mirrors and they FINALLY figured it out.
Nissan had to replace the entire mirror and I was told that they needed to add/replace a "cap" in the mirror. If you mention this to service they should know what this is.

Hope this helps!

#13 ·
My Car Whistles Too...

I got my car a few weeks ago... right now it has less than 800 miles on it. I noticed the whistling the first time I took it out on the highway. It does get louder with the windows down... but if you listen really carefully, when it's quiet out on the road, you can still hear it with the window up.

I brought my car in on Monday (6/09/08) and did a test run with one of the garage guys. He heard it, so Nissan had me leave my car with them. They held my car all day Monday, and all day Tuesday, and all day Wednesday. They apparently tried a number of different things (including reseating the door), but nothing worked... although they did manage to put on about 100 miles to my car.

On Thursday, they called to tell me they have diagnosed the problem to be the outside mirrors... but Nissan HQ still doesn't quite know how to fix it. They said HQ is aware of the issue, and knows the simply replacing the mirrors won't fix the problem, so they're "working on it." They then told me they would call me back in a week or two with a remedy... just as soon as Nissan HQ tells them what to do.

Now, after reading what the other folks have written, this strikes me as odd. If replacing the mirrors worked for everyone else, why did they tell me specifically that replacing the mirrors WOULDN'T help? Either I'm getting lied to, or all of the new mirrors have the same issue.

Either way, for now I'm just going to ignore it... and see what Nissan has to say. But if I don't hear back by the beginning of next week, I'm going to start making phone calls.

I bought a car, damnit... not a flute!

#14 ·
I got my car a few weeks ago... right now it has less than 800 miles on it. I noticed the whistling the first time I took it out on the highway. It does get louder with the windows down... but if you listen really carefully, when it's quiet out on the road, you can still hear it with the window up.

I brought my car in on Monday (6/09/08) and did a test run with one of the garage guys. He heard it, so Nissan had me leave my car with them. They held my car all day Monday, and all day Tuesday, and all day Wednesday. They apparently tried a number of different things (including reseating the door), but nothing worked... although they did manage to put on about 100 miles to my car.

On Thursday, they called to tell me they have diagnosed the problem to be the outside mirrors... but Nissan HQ still doesn't quite know how to fix it. They said HQ is aware of the issue, and knows the simply replacing the mirrors won't fix the problem, so they're "working on it." They then told me they would call me back in a week or two with a remedy... just as soon as Nissan HQ tells them what to do.

Now, after reading what the other folks have written, this strikes me as odd. If replacing the mirrors worked for everyone else, why did they tell me specifically that replacing the mirrors WOULDN'T help? Either I'm getting lied to, or all of the new mirrors have the same issue.

Either way, for now I'm just going to ignore it... and see what Nissan has to say. But if I don't hear back by the beginning of next week, I'm going to start making phone calls.

I bought a car, damnit... not a flute!

I had the same problem with my car. I took it in to one place and they replaced the mirror. Didn't do anything. 40+ MPG it still whistled.

I took it to a different place because I moved and told them of the whistling noise. They told me that they didn't replace the mirror but put some sort of "cap" in the mirror to seal it. But whatever they did it worked and it was all covered under warranty.

I'm pretty sure my first Nissan dealer told me there was a Nissan "bulletin" about the whistling issue, so it shouldn't be anything new to a dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.