2002 Altima POS - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum
View Poll Results: Have you had a problem with your 2.5L motor?
Yes 2 33.33%
No 4 66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-30-2009, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Angry 2002 Altima POS

Just introducing myself and complaining about my POS Altima (I WILL NEVER BUY NISSAN AGAIN!). I have had more problems and sunk more money in this car than any other car in my life! 2002 - 2006 Altima/Sentra R/350Z with the 2.5L motors all need to be taken in front of NNA Headquarters and blown up!
These a**holes knew there was a problem with the pre-cat way back in 2003 and have been ducking & dodging / covering up since then.

Class action lawsuit now! @ Nissan Excessive Oil Usage - Fazio | Micheletti LLP

Nissan =
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-31-2009, 06:15 AM

i work at nissan and the converter is under warrently to 130,000 km's or 8 years... so when we get a code for the o2/converter we order a new engine and converter for it...
#3 Old 10-31-2009, 02:41 PM
Goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDowler View Post
Just introducing myself and complaining about my POS Altima (I WILL NEVER BUY NISSAN AGAIN!). I have had more problems and sunk more money in this car than any other car in my life! 2002 - 2006 Altima/Sentra R/350Z with the 2.5L motors all need to be taken in front of NNA Headquarters and blown up!
These a**holes knew there was a problem with the pre-cat way back in 2003 and have been ducking & dodging / covering up since then.

Class action lawsuit now! @ Nissan Excessive Oil Usage - Fazio | Micheletti LLP

Nissan =
wow you're dumb

04 Nissan Altima SE
Modifications: eRacings Front Fascia + Sport Accolade Mesh Grille + Fiberglass Eyelids + 18in gunmetal Drag DR-19's on 225/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT's + Paint Matched Window Pillars + M3 Rear Window Spoiler + SER Tails + Debadged Trunk + 20% Tint
Performance: Injen WAI Conversion
ICE: Alpine 9884 H/U with Ipod + 1400w Power Acoustik Amp + 2 12" subs + Cool White LED Full Interior Swap + Cool White Footwell LEDS with Switch + Cool White Plate Bulbs
#4 Old 10-31-2009, 02:57 PM

I don't know what you are talking about? the 2002 Altima is a great car!

On Site Fleet Repair - www.abaronsite.com
Truck Fleet Maintenance - www.truckfleetmaintenance.com
Truck Fleet Service - www.truckfleetservice.com
#5 Old 10-31-2009, 04:56 PM

i believe that link u posted is for the 3.5L motor.. it doesnt mention the sentra SER... and i dont think a 350z comes with a 2.5L, lol
#6 Old 10-31-2009, 05:40 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithd View Post
i work at nissan and the converter is under warrently to 130,000 km's or 8 years... so when we get a code for the o2/converter we order a new engine and converter for it...
My first cat blew at 63,000 and the dealership wanted $1200 to replace it, no warranty coverage, they said that it was only covered up to 60k (Mossy Nissan El Cajon, Ca). I had the converter replaced (independent shop) and then 10k miles later the motor blew because the original cat had sucked particles into the motor. Don't try and tell me I don't know what I am talking about, google "nissan oil consumption" or "nissan pre-cat failure" and you will see. Also, in 2006 they (Nissan) recalled 100k Altima's to replace the motors (they even replaced motors on cars that were on the lot). The exhaust manifold/pre-cat was designed wrong from the factory in 2002 and was the same design until '06. But, the recall only covered 2006 models and not '02 - '05's. Check here Nissan QR engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia under; Manufacturing, design, and assembly flaws.
#7 Old 10-31-2009, 05:48 PM

didnt say u didnt know what u were talking about, i was just stateing that it should be under warrenty, if u look at US laws a converter is under warrently for 80,000 miles or 8 years, and in canada its 130,000 km's and 8 years

http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt

just scroll down to section A

i dont have to google oil consumption, i know about it, im a mechanic at nissan, i just know that nissan is very reasonable about this (at the dealership im at anyway) they have no problem ordering a new engine

Last edited by keithd; 10-31-2009 at 05:51 PM.
#8 Old 10-31-2009, 05:50 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneviavision View Post
I don't know what you are talking about? the 2002 Altima is a great car!
NO, actually they suck!
#9 Old 10-31-2009, 06:04 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
didnt say u didnt know what u were talking about, i was just stateing that it should be under warrenty, if u look at US laws a converter is under warrently for 80,000 miles or 8 years, and in canada its 130,000 km's and 8 years

http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt

just scroll down to section A

i dont have to google oil consumption, i know about it, im a mechanic at nissan, i just know that nissan is very reasonable about this (at the dealership im at anyway) they have no problem ordering a new engine
Yeah, well I didn't know that until after I had replaced the cat & then the motor (I was actually stupid enough to believe the service manager at Nissan). When my motor blew I contacted NNA Headquarters to complain that the dealership wanted to charge me $5900 for a new motor. They said to wait for a few days and a regional rep would call me, I waited and got a call from the rep saying that they would not cover anything. The car had under 80k when the motor blew (the cat blew at 63k), so I guess for the people that are going to your dealership it's good for them. But your dealership must be the one in a million that actually stands behind anything, I know from all the forums/blogs that there are few and far between that have actually got anything from Nissan.
#10 Old 10-31-2009, 08:09 PM
Goose

Quote:
i believe that link u posted is for the 3.5L motor.. it doesnt mention the sentra SER... and i dont think a 350z comes with a 2.5L, lol
ty! and to the OP who PMed me to ask why i called him dumb: that is why

04 Nissan Altima SE
Modifications: eRacings Front Fascia + Sport Accolade Mesh Grille + Fiberglass Eyelids + 18in gunmetal Drag DR-19's on 225/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT's + Paint Matched Window Pillars + M3 Rear Window Spoiler + SER Tails + Debadged Trunk + 20% Tint
Performance: Injen WAI Conversion
ICE: Alpine 9884 H/U with Ipod + 1400w Power Acoustik Amp + 2 12" subs + Cool White LED Full Interior Swap + Cool White Footwell LEDS with Switch + Cool White Plate Bulbs
#11 Old 10-31-2009, 11:32 PM

(Thread Starter)
Actually, my car has a 2.5L (QR25DE)

Vehicle applications:

2002-2006 Nissan Sentra SE-R 165hp & SE-R Spec V 175hp
2007-present Nissan Sentra SE-R 175hp & SE-R Spec V 200hp
2002-present Nissan Altima 2.5, 2.5S, 2.5SL 175hp, Hybrid 158hp
+ many other vehicles.

Manufacturing, design, and assembly flaws
The QR25DE sold in the United States has been subject to a significant number of problems in its short lifetime. A variety of mechanical flaws have led to numerous technical service bulletins, recalls, repairs, and outright engine replacements.

Vehicles with the QR25DE may ingest material from a damaged pre-catalyst resulting in increased oil consumption.
Power valve screws in the intake manifold may become loose and result in unstable idling or power loss.
In June 2006, it came to Nissan's attention that approximately 85,000 Altimas and 2,000 Sentra SE-Rs equipped with the QR25DE and built between January and May 2006 may experience unusually high oil consumption. This can lead to premature engine failure and possibly a fire. While Nissan investigates the problem, owners of the affected vehicles are being advised to check their oil frequently (every 700 mi (1,100 km) [1127 km]), and dealers have been instructed to place the affected vehicles on sales hold.

The reason I mentioned the 350Z (which has a 3.5L motor) is because they also have oil consumption issues. Not to mention Maxima, G35 & Altima's w/ 3.5L oil consumption update - MY350Z.COM Forums Oil Consumption - Nissanhelp.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan Enthusiast General Forums > New Member Forum - Introduce Yourself!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode