The Nissan Club banner

Transmission Problem?

32K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  mistahx420 
#1 ·
Nissan Murano SL 2003 72,000 miles

Driving on highway at 70 mph. Suddenly I start losing power. I press the gas pedal, engine rpm meter revs up but no gain in speed. I pull to the side of the road. "Service Engine Soon" light comes on. I wait for five minutes and try to accelerate. Speed goes to the 30 mph at the most. I limp along the feeder road at low speed. There is a whining sound as I try to accelerate, something like a bad fuel pump. After about 20 miles, the car is back to normal speed pick-up, running at 70 mph. The engine light stays on. No other light on nor does engine temperature go up.
Next day took the car to dealer. Service guy calls and says there are four service codes and they point to "transmission replacement" that will cost $5,800.00. I yank the car out of the shop to take it to a my breliable neighborhood garage. I haven't been there yet. The dealer turned off the service light though the problem has not been fixed.
On the way back from the dealer, drove the car for 40 miles on highway at 70 mph without a problem.
IS THERE REALLY A PROBLEM? SHOULD I GET A SECOND MECHANIC TO LOOK AT IT? OR WAS THE PROBLEM TEMPORARY AND HAS GONE AWAY, SOMETHING IN THE HYDRAULIC SYSTEM OR STICKY PART? ANY SUGGESTION?

#2 ·
If there is any chance that it is going to come back, which it sounds like there is, I would take it someplace that specializes in Transmissions. If it happens again, take it someplace else. If you ever have a time when the Service Engine Soon light comes on and you take it to the dealer, make sure that they don't reset the light unless they do the work. That way if you want to get a second opinion the other mechanic can look up the code. (Or YOU can!)

#4 ·
Very few people on here have Murano's, though a fair number of us (me included) have the 07 Altima with it. At this point, I would call your service guy back and ask him what the codes were that they pulled when you brought it in, because if they cleared them and didn't record them, then I would run away scared. But get the codes from them, and then you can look up the codes online, ask about them here, or call a local mechanic to see what they think of the codes.

#5 ·
Got the codes

gtcompscientist,
Thank you for your prompt response.

The car is still running fine. Goes through the speed range to 80 mph without a whimper.

The service codes were:
P0746 Solenoid A function code
P1700 C/U function
P1574 ASCD speed sensor
P0720 Vehicle speed sensor

Do these codes give any clue? I don't know where to find the meaning of the codes or how to connect the dots.

#7 ·
If you want to check where the wires like the Speed Sensor stuff is going, to see if it has anything to do with the CVT, like the dealer is implying, check my sig for your Factory Service Manual. I should have it. I don't know much about the specific codes, but somebody else here may.

#8 ·
these transmissions go bad internally, the seal start to leak and things begin to burn out. its a common problem in the murano. and you could take it to a transmission shop, but the trans is really not rebuildable. since its a cvt trans it doesnt have normal gear drive, but chain drive on a few seperate gears. unless you know of a place that specializes in cvt transmissions, they will mess it up more than they will help you out.

too bad your not under warranty, cuz the price they quoted you is pretty much what it would cost to replace the unit. trust me, your not the first guy i have seen that has to dish out that much money to replace a trans because your not under warranty.

#9 ·
... Anything I can do to make sure that I burn out my CVT about 1000 miles before my warranty runs out? ;) It'd be nice to have a new one if they are going to burn out.

#11 ·
gtcompscientist said:
... Anything I can do to make sure that I burn out my CVT about 1000 miles before my warranty runs out? ;) It'd be nice to have a new one if they are going to burn out.
1 litre(pint) of engine oil will do just fine.
add and wait about 1 yr....
remember to inssure your CAA is up to date
other good additions are.
carbon dust (talc)
saw dust
ultra fine metal shavings etc etc etc

remove almost all fluid, drive for 3 hours or until bang type noise.
re-install fluid.
call dealer.

hope to the good lord you dont get caught.
:nutkick:

#12 ·
I had a lot of faith in Nissan products, having driven a Nissan jeep in the Sahara desert.
After the Murano incident, no more Nissan product for me and I am going to advise my friends not to touch a Nissan product.
if Nissan is trying to make CVT popular, they need to either make it reliable or offer extended warranty on it.

#13 ·
hey what did you end up doing here? i have a 2011 nissan murno with a code p0744 torque converter clutch solenoid circuit intermittent. Drives fine so far thank God. Multiple places say you have to replace the tranny. No under any extended warranty but I did take to the dealership multiple times due to a whining noise when accelerating up over 70 mph. They said it was fine. Any advice? Should i ride it out till I see more major problems but will this cause more problems in the cooland or engine or safety risks?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.