99 I30 NATS & ECU issues - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-18-2011, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
99 I30 NATS & ECU issues

Hey all.. Looking to collect some info on NATS and ECU for 99 Infiniti I30.

Car started.. ran for 5 seconds, and then engine slowly shut off. Tried to start the car again. Gave er gas, engine ran for about 3 seconds before shutting off. After that, engine would crank, but not start. Had it towed to mechanic. they said I needed to replace the NATS and ECU. quoting me 2500 for everything.

I decided to take the car back home and start doing some research on my own. I did a self diagnostic of the ECU once I got home and pulled 2 trouble codes from the "Check Engine Soon" light/flashing sequence. 1402 and 1401 (EGR Function (Open) & EGR Temperature Sensor) - Which seems to be correlated to engine coil failures (Which I have has 2 coils replaced in the last 2 years) - but that's a side story for now..

Question #1 - If I am pulling trouble codes from the ECU is there still a chance that my ECU is bad/fried? Seems odd that I would be able to retrieve codes, but the mechanic says my ECU is bad?

Question #2 - If my ECU is OK.. what other things should I be checking in order to get my car running again. The immobilizer unit on the car is preventing the car from starting. I've tried the Key in on position for 1 second. 5 seconds off/repeat. Still no luck.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-19-2011, 02:41 PM
The Don.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Though I'm a regular the Altima section, I might be able to lend a hand with this.

First off, if there is a problem with NATS then the security light will stay ON during the time the ignition switch set to the ON position. The NATS is part ignition key and part ECU. By that I mean that the ignition key(s) are registered inside the ECU so that only those key(s) can start and run the engine. The ECU is probably not bad in your case. Its probably just the keys that needs to be programmed into the ECU. The dealerships have the NATS programmer to do that. When a service center quotes you that high a price for this level of work, what they're really saying is, "I don't want to work on this issue. Unless you pay dearly for it."

Its possible to have an EGR open function code and not be able to start or run the engine. The typical way to determine if this is the problem is to disable it. That is, block off or disable the exhaust gases from reaching the intake. I'm not familiar with your engine but you should be able to find resources online on how to accomplish this.

When you do the ignition key re-initialization routine, do it this way; set ignition key to ON and wait 5 seconds. Then set ignition key to OFF and wait 5 seconds. Finally, repeat those two steps one more time.

Good luck and hope this helps.

'94 Nissan Altima SE, 5spd.
Erebuni 905, Turboing, Hotshot CAI, UR Pulley, Calum ECU,
HUD & ATC retrofitted, DEPO lamps, NGK Ignition wires.
ITEMS FOR SALE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan Enthusiast General Forums > Nissan - Infiniti General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode