The Nissan Club banner

Timing belt

1K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  vorley 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 Nissan Altima with 172.000 km on it at this time. I was told that it is time to change the timing belt. Is this a must do in order to save the engine? Can someone in the forum give me an Ide what the cost would be.
Vorley:|

#3 ·
Brandon

Unfortunately I posted this before with a timing chain, as well as a power brakes. I made the mistake of calling my Nissan Altima a 2012. It is not a 2012. It is a 2002. I was corrected both times at my local mechanics place that I do not have power brakes. And by checking this again I have a power belt,both were checked. Again I will have it looked at by someone at a repair shop. Can anyone tell me what the approximate cost would be in the event of a chain,or the price of a belt. Interesting comment about the stretched chain. I am going to have both checked by a professional.

Vorley

#4 ·
Bradon

Unfortunately I posted this before with a timing chain, as well as a power brakes. I made the mistake of calling my Nissan Altima a 2012. It is not a 2012. It is a 2002. I was corrected both times at my local mechanics place that I do not have power brakes. And by checking this again I have a power belt,both were checked. Again I will have it looked at by someone at a repair shop. Can anyone tell me what the approximate cost would be in the event of a chain,or the price of a belt. Interesting comment about the stretched chain. I am going to have both checked by a professional.

Correction Timing Belt

Vorley

#7 ·
lol, he has a 2.5 I4, therefore he does have a timing BELT. The cost of this job at the stealership should be between $500-$800. Hope this helps

#10 ·
Maybe I was thinking of the water pump being driven by a belt? Ok, lol maybe it is a timing chain (yes it is) the cost should be about the same but closer to the high side. lol

Reactions: Sideways the Seven
#11 ·
Just a reply to all that are of interest.

I called my dealer. Apparently the 2002 Altima have both. The Altima 4 door sedan 2.5 that is.It depends when it was produced,and where.The 6 cylinder all have the chain. That is what I was told. I will know for sure when I get this belt i.e chain replaced soon

Vorley

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.