How often do tires have to be used/how long can they sit around before they go bad? - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-07-2006, 06:53 PM
IONO_g20_nao!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How often do tires have to be used/how long can they sit around before they go bad?

Okay, well, I've decided on my next car to go a little further with the driving...

Basically I'm going to keep rims with good tires in the trunk. How often do I have to ride on them before there are problems? I know if you leave tires on rims and never ride on them, the tires can go bad, but how often do you have to ride on them to keep them usable?

Also what are the dangers of having slightly larger tires in front, and also having tires that are much better? Basically Ultra High Performance All Seasons/Summers in the front and having just regular High Performance or even Passenger rated tires in the back?

Basically I'd switch them up before going mountain/canyon running.

Thanks!

*RIP* 1998 Nissan Altima GXE *RIP*
Tokico Struts + H&R Springs + 2k/2k1 Nissan FSTB
Suspension Techniques RSB + Taz's Rear Endlinks
JDM Airfreshener + Sweet Pioneer HU + Tints
And... an Oldsmobile exhaust tip found at the junkyard...

2002 Infiniti G20 Sport Edition
JWT Pop-Charger / Remus Exhaust / Ground Wires
Carbing FSTB / Carbing RSTB
Custom Front Lip / Custom CF Eyelids

KA SR

Last edited by IONO_1998_GXE; 07-07-2006 at 06:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-13-2006, 05:33 AM
I Am My Altima's Bitch

Hmmm, well the biggest threat to a tire is sunlight, so keeping them out of it is a big start. The next is oxygen, and that's harder to avoid. Running tires allows them to flex, and in doing so, they release oils and waxes that protect them from these elements. I would not want to go more than 6 months or so without at least putting a few miles on them.

Now as for "keeping them in the trunk"... what's up with that. Do you really want to waste gas hauling around spare tires. I'd just plan times that you are going to use them, and then take them out for those times.

Anyway, all this talk reminds me that I need to throw my OEM rims/tires on and put a few miles on them for this exact reason.

Crystal Blue 2003 Nissan Altima 3.5SE 5-Speed

#3 Old 07-13-2006, 09:09 PM
RLR is here

yeah don't carry extra rims and tires with you. Do you know how much weight that would be? A lot. It'll slow you down.

As for tires and their lasting natures, tires do need to be driven on in order to maintain their composition. I would at least take out said spare tires and drive on them at least once a month. Keeping them in nice, cool environments like a garage and out of light is good too. Air them up too when you can to make sure they don't uninflate.

As for general longevity, obviously most 45-50K tires will last probably a couple of years of good life if you don't drive that 45/50K out of them first without having to worry about the physical compositions going awry. Tires with different compositions like Summer Performance tires will not last as long due to softer compositions. So, basically, get out and drive, and hope for a year and a half depending on your driving habits. Any good 200+/- treadwear tire should only last you a year of spirited driving anyway
#4 Old 07-14-2006, 10:12 PM

National Rubber Manufacturers Association says 7 years is the longest a tire should be in service once it is on a car no matter the mileage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Technical and Specific Interest Nissan Discussion > Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode