all season tires???(SER size) - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 02:27 AM
Slo and Low

all season tires???(SER size)

I'm posting this her because its for the SER guys out there that drive the car in the snow. I'm at 20k now and the stockers are at 5 32nds and will need to be replaced at the end of summer. What are you guys using for a ALL season tire??? Looking for a decent milage tire also that doesnt need to be replaced every 20-25k. I live in CT so there is snow. Thanks
98 Maxima-Wifey's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2009, 02:50 AM

all seasons suck, get winter tires for the winter months, and summer tires for the summer. period.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:14 AM

I have to agree with RacinRR.
All seasons are a compromise between summers and winters but don't do great in either situation - they aren't as good as winters and they aren't as good as performance summers. So if you have the $$$, it's best to have two different sets that are the best for both situations.
2007 Audi RS4 | 6 Speed | Premium Package | Sprint Blue | Nappa Silver Leather with Brushed Aluminum trim | 1,000W Pioneer sub & Kenwood amp | 255/30 R19 | 10mm wheel spacers | Post facelift Flat Bottom Steering Wheel |

Audi RS4, 420 HP - 0 to 60 in 4.5s
8 piston brakes from Lambo Galardo
Top Gear track: 1:25.7
Nürburgring: 7:58.0

Sold in 2012 but not forgotten: 2005 6sp SE R, Black on black with red inserts. RacingLine FTSB, 245/40 R18 tires
Old 03-12-2009, 06:34 PM

you made a thread in tire section too, right?

i hate to sound like broken record, but like ^ said, allseasons are no sub for winter tires if youre driving in snow. A/S tires are pretty much just a compromise of overall shitty performance imo. im on LI and I usually run summer tires Apr-Nov then swap to winter wheels. its a good system too b/c it seems like you get more mileage out of both sets =p
Old 03-12-2009, 09:56 PM
SE-Rious

i dont know, never ran 2 different sets, had alot of snow this year and ran 225 40 18 eagle gts all seasonal tires and loved them, didnt get stuck once and drive my SE-R everyday... just my .02

07/08-07/09 traded....06Silver G35 coupe SOLD..

08 TL TYPE S:
On the way to hellaflush

MEGAN COILS l WORK CR KAI 18x8.5 +36 225/40/18 18x9.5 +32 245/40/18

NismolRacinglinelD2lNWPlTenzoRlAT

"if sparks don't fly, your rides too high"....6/11/09.
kevinbp639 "hellaflush approved wheels you are my hero mb23bca"
Old 03-13-2009, 01:16 AM
Slo and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb23bca View Post
i dont know, never ran 2 different sets, had alot of snow this year and ran 225 40 18 eagle gts all seasonal tires and loved them, didnt get stuck once and drive my SE-R everyday... just my .02
Thanks for sticking to the actual thread. I claimed i need a set of ALL SEASON. didnt ask for the dont get them use winter and summer tires. I dont have the money to do that and if i did then this post would have never been here. I would have gotten some blizzaks and some Azenis 615's or BFG's.

the point is im tight on cash and need to start driving the car year round instead of parking it in the garage for the winter.

I do have a set of 17 inch konig's that i could use for winter but i dont have the cash for 8 tires.

with that in mind, for those of you that run ALL SEASON tires on the SER and drive in snow...let me know what you got.

thanks....
Old 03-13-2009, 02:27 AM
SE-Rious

Well your welcome.

I run 225 40 18s eagle gts.. all seasonals...
Old 03-13-2009, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb23bca View Post
Not an SER guy,but i have Bridgestone Potenza G009's All Season and they are awesome in the snow (Lived in NC when i got them and had a bad snow storm a week later) and you can get them in the SER size also. They are also good in the summer too. Had a buddy run Eagle GTS on his SRT-4 and not once did he get stuck in that storm.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05ALTIMASE-R View Post
Thanks for sticking to the actual thread. I claimed i need a set of ALL SEASON. didnt ask for the dont get them use winter and summer tires. I dont have the money to do that and if i did then this post would have never been here. I would have gotten some blizzaks and some Azenis 615's or BFG's.

the point is im tight on cash and need to start driving the car year round instead of parking it in the garage for the winter.

I do have a set of 17 inch konig's that i could use for winter but i dont have the cash for 8 tires.

with that in mind, for those of you that run ALL SEASON tires on the SER and drive in snow...let me know what you got.

thanks....

There are two responses to this.
1. I live in area that averages 14 feet of snow per year. Having all season tires is just not an option if you want to survive the winter without ending up in a ditch or worse. So number one issue is safety.
2. The second issue of cost is not actually as bad as you think - the cost actually works out to roughly the same as owning all seasons for the same period of time, as someone alluded to above. Having 2 sets of tires means you won't have to change them as often since your only putting half the mileage on each set per year. The only difference is you pay up front - but this is a fair trade-off if you consider the safety issue.

Obviously, it's your choice but you asked for opinions and I'm giving you the reasons why I gave those opinions.

Last edited by G35dalf; 03-13-2009 at 03:03 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:30 AM

Another option would be to look into Nokian WR+ or GR2 all-weather tires. Basically, the chic at the tire store told me that all-seasons are "summer" tires that you can, but shouldn't, use all year-round. All-weather tires are winter tires that you can leave on year-round.

I have had the WR+ on for 2 1/2 years with no problem in the snow or on ice. And I think I still have 8/32 left. I just put some WR GR2's on the wife's 4 cyl. Accord this fall and she loves them.

Hopefully this year I'll get some UHP or HP all-seasons (since I can get any season at any time in the year), and eventually fade out the WR+'s for some Hakkapaliittas (straight winter).

Berk V2 w/ Apexi ~ NWP VIAS Plate ~ Racingline FSTB, Grounding Kit, Battery Tie-down, Springs ~ KYB GR2's ~ UR Ultra Sc Pulley ~ BT Under hood and Trunk Lighting
Old 03-13-2009, 05:43 AM

sry but i was trying to steer you the way you need to go. :-/

but fine go get a compromise.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:45 PM

I feel ya on cost. I dont know how you guys can afford a winter and summer set. With that said I also know that some of you are in MI and Canada and HAVE to get winter sets which in turn require you to get summers for summer. Im ghetto right now running with kumho summers on the rear and bridgstone all season on the fronts. I dont think we saw more than a foot of snow this year in St. Louis. If you're getting anymore than a 1' a year then I would try and fork up for a set of winters.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:20 PM

Mine came with coopers zeon sports 225/45 18 all seasons , shit in the snow though.. If i get another set of rims im going to get dedicated snows for my stock rims and summer tires for the new ones. Ive never had any luck with so called " all seasons "
Old 03-13-2009, 05:05 PM
Slo and Low

didnt mean to be rude, but to beable to keep the car(wife wants to sell it) i need to drive it in the snow. right now im going to need tires and i know she wont want to spend 1k plus on 2 sets of tires.

thanks for all the help
Old 03-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Erect Member

got these on my turbo altima and my mazdaspeed 6 and love em - and we have a lot of snow here.
z rated all seasons do not suck and are not a compromise.

even the price is right.

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Technical and Specific Interest Nissan Discussion > Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.