Removing Rear Brake Rotor - 05 Altima SE - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2009, 11:21 PM

Removing Rear Brake Rotor - 05 Altima SE

First time poster, long time lurker Great site...

Looked at the rear brake pads & rotors this weekend on wifey's 05 Altima SE w/ 82k (lots of stop & go) and they need to be replaced. I did the front pads & rotors awhile ago w/ no problems (except for having to BEAT the living snot out of the rotors to get them off, even after soaking w/ tons of PB Blaster); however, it doesn't look easy at all to get the rear rotors off.

I thought I could get the rear rotors off by first removing the rear caliper but there's a bar behind the caliper & it looks like it interferes w/ getting the caliper bolts out. WTF? Am I missing something???

Has anyone removed the rear rotors? How did you do it? Love the Altima but the rocket scientists at Nissan really threw me a curve ball on this one...I'm stumped.

Appreciate any recommendations you've got. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeeskimo View Post
First time poster, long time lurker Great site...

Looked at the rear brake pads & rotors this weekend on wifey's 05 Altima SE w/ 82k (lots of stop & go) and they need to be replaced. I did the front pads & rotors awhile ago w/ no problems (except for having to BEAT the living snot out of the rotors to get them off, even after soaking w/ tons of PB Blaster); however, it doesn't look easy at all to get the rear rotors off.

I thought I could get the rear rotors off by first removing the rear caliper but there's a bar behind the caliper & it looks like it interferes w/ getting the caliper bolts out. WTF? Am I missing something???

Has anyone removed the rear rotors? How did you do it? Love the Altima but the rocket scientists at Nissan really threw me a curve ball on this one...I'm stumped.

Appreciate any recommendations you've got. Thanks!

It has been a while since I changed the rear rotors but I pretty sure is the same way as the one is the front. Removed one screw and slide the caliper up or down and you should be able to access the rotor with no other objects on the way.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:46 PM

Hey Flame1! Thanks for the feedback.

I just got a Haynes manual and saw that the "bar" I referred to that gets in the way of removing 1 of the 2 caliper bolts is called the "radius rod" (whatever) and it was new for the 2005 model year. Yeah for me

I glanced thru the Haynes & it didn't really address the radius rod or what to do with the little bastard (I'd really like to use it to beat some Nissan engineers over the head). Oh well...

Eskimo
Old 04-17-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeeskimo View Post
Hey Flame1! Thanks for the feedback.

I just got a Haynes manual and saw that the "bar" I referred to that gets in the way of removing 1 of the 2 caliper bolts is called the "radius rod" (whatever) and it was new for the 2005 model year. Yeah for me

I glanced thru the Haynes & it didn't really address the radius rod or what to do with the little bastard (I'd really like to use it to beat some Nissan engineers over the head). Oh well...

Eskimo

That might explained why that "bar" wasn't on my 02.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:23 PM
GR

I looked at the ESM for the 05 and it looks to me to have the exact same rear suspension as my 02SE. I didn't think they were any different.
The radius rod that you say is in the way must be moved by placing a jack under the suspension assembly and raising the whole unit high enough so the bolt can clear the radius rod and be removed.
I've had to do this on every 3rd gen I've changed the rear rotors on.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:01 PM
ROLL TIDE

I just put new rotors on the rear of my 02 and didn't have any issues. Remove the caliper bolts, then remove the caliper bracket then prepare yourself to beat the heck out of the rotors to get them to break free from the hub.
Zenn Springs (Front Only)
KYB GR2 Struts/Shocks
20% Tint
Xentec 6000k low beams
Xentec 3000k foglights

http://alabamaltima.shutterfly.com

Old 04-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Ctrl-F Yourself

I have to jack up my rear suspension to get to the lower bolt also. Then i started a thread on why the hell i had to do that. Its balls i know. but thats what has to be done!
DIY LED Tursignals In Mirrors|DIY Projector Retrofit|What You Need to Convert to OEM HID|Nissan Factory Service Manual Here|How To Check/Clear SES Codes HERE|Upgrading The Stock Halogen Headlights|Detailed Description of HID and Angel Eyes

BEST IN CLASS AT 2009 CANAL DAYS CAR SHOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeVQ35 View Post
Your car is like the ugly chick that all the guys look at in disbelief, but she tells all her girlfriends that guys are constantly checking her out.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Bought a Z32 now addicted

i am currently doin this today and came online to see what i had to do to remove the rear rotor but see most ppl sat just beat the hell out of it to separate it from the wheel hub. i just removed my calipers the caliper bracket and drained all brake fluid.

The easy answer to getting the caliper off is just loosen both the two bolts but since the bottom one will not come out push it in out of the way, with out threading it back in just loose pushed in the caliper. Anyway now the easiest thing to do is look at the back of the calipers bracket and u will see two big bolts 19MM that can be removed, once you have taken both of the 19mm bolts off the bracket the caliper and bracket will both be able to come out.

from here i had drained the brake fluid and taken the caliper off the brake line. now i plan on cleaning up the calipers and painting them blue im doing the same to both the front (upgrading to SER brake package) and back as well as putting in SS brake lines....
Old 05-20-2009, 06:21 PM
2010 2.5s Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200hpAltima View Post
I have to jack up my rear suspension to get to the lower bolt also. Then i started a thread on why the hell i had to do that. Its balls i know. but thats what has to be done!
^^^ that is the right way to do it , when you jack up the rear suspension it changes the angle of the radius arm and you can remove the lower bolt .

http://jimsautoeverything.blogspot.com/
Old 05-20-2009, 06:23 PM
2010 2.5s Sedan

here's a tip , never let the caliper hang by the brake hose , use a wire coat hanger , string/rope , another person , whatever you feel comfortable with .
Old 12-01-2011, 08:01 PM

LMAO!!!
i've finally found this. i was like WTF last night on this project. now i can finish.
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Technical and Specific Interest Nissan Discussion > Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.