Squealing noise while driving: I'M GOING CRAZY! - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-23-2009, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Squealing noise while driving: I'M GOING CRAZY!

I have been going crazy trying to figure out the source of a metallic squeal coming from the right front wheel for weeks now. Itís the same sound you hear when your brakes squeal however the sound is persistent with no brakes applied and gets louder and more aggressive with speed. I initially thought it had something to do with the steering but the sound doesnít discriminate, I could turn the wheel any direction and itís still there. It only goes away when I apply the brakes and comes back when not applied. It doesnít happen all the time, only when the vehicle is hot (driven for at least 10km +).

Recent work done to the car:
1. New Front Cross drilled rotors/Ceramic Brake Pads
2. Drivers side inner tie rod replaced
3. 2 New Front tires

I do about 80% of my own mechanical work on my car, only when itís very complicated do I make visits to Stealerships. I'm no professional, just a guy that enjoys saving money lol.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, or heard anything like it? My car is a 2005 2.5s (Auto Trans). Any advice will be appreciated! I'm buying beer for the one who figures this crap out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-23-2009, 05:37 PM
14 NAS SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
im experiencing a similar issue-- i had the front rotors and pads replaced about 7 months ago--

super, are you also getting a squealing noise when you go in reverse?

-Carlos-

2014 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL

Old Cars

2010 Nissan Altima 2.5
2003 Nissan Altima 2.5s
1994 Honda Accord
#3 Old 10-23-2009, 05:41 PM
BT
Super Modder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Is sounds like a caliper may be sticking, and the pads are dragging on the rotor. When the brakes are fully in use, the sound would have a tendency to go away.

Other option could be a wheel bearing, but that would tend to make noise all the time. If this all started after the recent brake job, then I would be suspect of that first.

Frankensteined 2002/3/4 3.5SL
QR to VQ swap

Other Pics
My NC Garage
My Feedback Thread...
#4 Old 10-23-2009, 06:01 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bt2580 View Post
Is sounds like a caliper may be sticking, and the pads are dragging on the rotor. When the brakes are fully in use, the sound would have a tendency to go away.

Other option could be a wheel bearing, but that would tend to make noise all the time. If this all started after the recent brake job, then I would be suspect of that first.
Yeah i had a feeling it had something to do with the brakes. My suspicion is the rear brakes maybe warn and sticking, i'm sure i did the front correctly, but who knows.

So if the calipiers are sticking, what do i do? Buy new ones and install them?

P.S: Why was post "moved" and to where ?lol
#5 Old 10-24-2009, 08:49 PM
2010 2.5s Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkid667 View Post
So if the calipiers are sticking, what do i do? Buy new ones and install them?

P.S: Why was post "moved" and to where ?lol
you can use high-temp grease to grease the caliper slides , also check to make sure the pads can properly slide in the caliper bracket .

did you reuse all of the original shims and clips ?

what rotors and pads do you have ?

p.s. it got moved to the tires , wheels , brake and suspension section .
#6 Old 10-31-2009, 12:31 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serviiciio View Post
im experiencing a similar issue-- i had the front rotors and pads replaced about 7 months ago--

super, are you also getting a squealing noise when you go in reverse?
Yes, i was getting the squealing noise when going into reverse.

Problem Solved.

When the car was put on hoist and lifted up it became apparent the problem was a stuck/sticking brake caliper in the rear passenger side tire. All the mechanic did to diagnose the problem was try and rotate the tires, all of them spun freely except one. He mentioned to me that the caliper was in working order and the problem was a " stuck pin" that was causing the metallic sequel. We decided to remove and rebuild both the brake Calipers; 1hr later and only $60, the problem was solved.

Just for fun; no wait, to make myself feel better i called up the Nissan dealership and asked how much it would cost rebuild 2 rear brake Calipers, they quoted at $310 after taxes. I laughed continuously at the service rep for literally 30 seconds at which time he hung up lol. I finished off a successful day with a cold beer.
#7 Old 10-31-2009, 01:20 AM
BT
Super Modder

Garage
Quote:
I have been going crazy trying to figure out the source of a metallic squeal coming from the right front wheel for weeks now. Itís the same sound you hear when your brakes squeal however the sound is persistent with no brakes applied and gets louder and more aggressive with speed. I initially thought it had something to do with the steering but the sound doesnít discriminate, I could turn the wheel any direction and itís still there. It only goes away when I apply the brakes and comes back when not applied. It doesnít happen all the time, only when the vehicle is hot (driven for at least 10km +).

Recent work done to the car:
1. New Front Cross drilled rotors/Ceramic Brake Pads
2. Drivers side inner tie rod replaced
3. 2 New Front tires

I do about 80% of my own mechanical work on my car, only when itís very complicated do I make visits to Stealerships. I'm no professional, just a guy that enjoys saving money lol.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, or heard anything like it? My car is a 2005 2.5s (Auto Trans). Any advice will be appreciated! I'm buying beer for the one who figures this crap out!
So, where's my beer???

QR to VQ swap

Other Pics
My NC Garage
My Feedback Thread...
#8 Old 10-31-2009, 11:02 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bt2580 View Post
So, where's my beer???
Ohh, how could i forget!

Seeing as we don't live in the same state, when i go over to the bar tonight i'll by a extra drink, walk over to the sexiest girl i see, hand her the beer and let know it's from "bt2580" and then hand her a picture of your car. I'll bet that'll probably turn her on, later on i'll send your her digits.
#9 Old 11-01-2009, 01:25 AM
BT
Super Modder

Garage
Quote:
Ohh, how could i forget!

Seeing as we don't live in the same state, when i go over to the bar tonight i'll by a extra drink, walk over to the sexiest girl i see, hand her the beer and let know it's from "bt2580" and then hand her a picture of your car. I'll bet that'll probably turn her on, later on i'll send your her digits.
Somehow...I don't think my wife would see the humor in that. LOL

QR to VQ swap

Other Pics
My NC Garage
My Feedback Thread...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Technical and Specific Interest Nissan Discussion > Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode