wheel speed sensor specs?? - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 09:58 PM

wheel speed sensor specs??

Would anyone happen to know the electrical resistance value of the front wheel speed sensors? They only have 2 wires and I am assuming that they are just a passive coil.

The repair manual describes connecting them to a Nissan specific diagnostic tool after using the Nissan specific Consult tool. I have neither diagnostic tool, but do have a voltmeter.

I am trying to track down an ABS light problem.

Jim
2007 Altima 2.5SL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2011, 12:45 AM
Altima FTW

Just take your multimeter, put it on ohms setting, and measure the resistance of the sensor. Compare the results you get to the OEM specs.

2007 2.5S Radiant Silver
Depo Black & Clear Headlights_Depo Chrome LED Tails_V-LED Parking Lights_Stealth Bulb Turns_DDM 6000k HID_V-LED 6000k Interior/License Plate_OEM Color-Matched Grille_17" Konig Incident Wheels_Fujita SRI_OEM Spoiler_De-badged_Tinted Windows_Kenwood KDC-MP442U_Polk MM651_Infinity Reference 9612i_JL 10W1v2-4_Eclipse EA4100 & 3122 Amps_Monster Wiring
Old 04-04-2011, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTw1st View Post
Just take your multimeter, put it on ohms setting, and measure the resistance of the sensor. Compare the results you get to the OEM specs.
That is my question: what are the OEM specs.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Altima FTW

Ah, I checked the service manual couldn't find any resistance values. I'll check All Data today when I go to class and see if I can find anything in there for you.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTw1st View Post
Ah, I checked the service manual couldn't find any resistance values. I'll check All Data today when I go to class and see if I can find anything in there for you.

Thanks.

I removed the front wheel speed sensors and cleaned the sensor housing and the pocket hole where they are inserted. I am not sure how much all of the "crust/crud" that I removed affects the sensor output signal, but I am pretty sure that it does not help.

I also measured the electrical resistance of the two front sensors but I am not confident in my measurement. One was around 5 megaohms and the other was about 2 megaohms. Both seem high for just a coil of wire. I am doubtful that they both went bad simultaneously, but stranger things have happened.

When I tried to remove the rear passenger side wheel speed sensor, the bolt head sheared right off the bolt !!!! Now I have to deal with this problem, but for the short term I just removed the sensor and tied it onto itself. I tried removing the rear drivers side wheel sensor bolt and it felt like it was going to shear off too. At that point I just stopped for the day. Thus, right now the joke is on me.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Altima FTW

All Data failed me as well, gave me all the info except the resistance value. I did find part numbers though the front sensor is 47910JA000 and rear is 47900JB10A. Hope that aids you in your search, I did a quick google with those numbers but couldn't find anything, maybe you can.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:17 PM

I have discovered that the wheel speed sensors are not passive: there is a 8V supply on one of the two wires. Thus, measuring the resistance across the two sensor wires should be a useless measurement.

I also sheared the bolt head off of the right rear wheel speed sensor even after I took several precautions to avoid doing this. Now I have two broken bolts to remove ... yeah!

Nissan calls out for a battery operated Nissan brand "black box" to diagnose the wheel speed sensor functionality. You connect the sensor to the "black box" and it supplies 8 V (probably more like 9V based on battery voltages) and it has an LED that should flash as you rotate the wheel. I could view the sensor output myself if I had an oscilloscope, but unfortunately I do not have one.

The most that I can probably do at this point (without Nissan specific diagnostic tools) is probably just check to make sure that the sensor supply voltage is correct. First though, I have to remove the broken mounting bolts on the rear sensors. I have had multiple Altima bolts shear and break during routine removal - much more than on any other vehicle I have owned.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:03 PM

Based on what you have found out, it sounds like the sensor is a standard proximity sensor. This means that it operates like a on/off switch.
If this is true, you should be able to put a small light bulb or LED in series with the system. Spin the wheel and the light should flash on/off.

2007 FX35
Autumn Copper
Old 04-06-2011, 06:58 PM

I found some additional data on the black box: J-45741 ABS ACTIVE WHEEL SENSOR CHECKER. According to the documentation that I found, the $529 box does indeed just use a 9V battery and the wheel speed sensor output is supposed to be a 0 to 1.5 V square wave. I'll have to create something that operates in this range.

Having the harness adapter would be nice, but there are at least 8 different ones to choose from, and they are about $60 each. I'll work on making something myself.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:21 AM
2600 lbs

Does the ABS light come on when you start the car? Or does it not come on when you start it, but come on immediately as soon as you start to move the car? This can be a helpful clue as to whether or not it's a wheel speed sensor issue, or something else in the ABS system.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allblackedout111 View Post
Does the ABS light come on when you start the car? Or does it not come on when you start it, but come on immediately as soon as you start to move the car? This can be a helpful clue as to whether or not it's a wheel speed sensor issue, or something else in the ABS system.

The ABS light comes on when the car is started.

Originally, the ABS light would come on intermittently, but the TPMS light was also activating. Thus, I figured the two were related. However, after I inflated the tires properly, the ABS light was still intermittent for about a day, and then it has been solid ever since.

Last night, I was able to borrow an aftermarket (non-Nissan) diagnostic tool that connects to the OBD connector and this particular tool showed codes for the rear sensors. We cleared the codes and then restarted the vehicle. Checked the codes again, and the rear sensor code occured again. Thus, my next move will probably be to replace the rear sensors.

The rear wheel speed sensors are not individual sensors like the front ones; they are purchased as a set in a single electrical harness. Just checking online, the front sensors are $24 each whereas the rear set is $133. The rear will be more difficult to change as well since the electrical harness snakes around the back end, and the connector is not as easy to access.

The wheel speed sensor bolts are pretty much stuck in the aluminum housing as well. My short term solution will be to just drill out the broken bolts and then use a bolt and nut to hold the sensors in place. The next stage after that will be to install some Helicoils.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:35 PM

So, it has been about 5 months since my original post. Winter will be here soon enough and I would like to have the ABS working correctly for the snowy conditions. Thus, I am going to tackle the project this weekend.

As far as the rear ABS wheel speed sensor: a) one Internet retailer stated that the OEM sensor/harness [that contained both rear wheel sensors in a single harness] had been superceded by three parts [a harness and 2 individual sensors] that totaled about $200, b) the dealer where I bought the car was able to get an OEM sensor/harness that is just like the one on the car for $161. Congrats to my local dealer.

As far as the OEM sensor bolt heads shearing off, back in April, I simply stuck the sensors back in their holes and used body mulding tape to keep them attached. My intended fix is to use a $45 Helicoil kit from NAPA and $15 worth of drill bits. I will probably use more than enough anti-seize compound on the replacement sensor bolts.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:32 PM

Well, the project to install Helicoils for the M6 rear wheels speed sensor mounting bolts went south pretty quickly. As I was drilling a pilot hole on the right rear, the drill bit broke off in the hole. I decided to just stop and walk away from that project because it was probably just going to get worse.

I installed the rear sensors/wiring harness and the ABS light is no longer illuminated, so that is a good thing. The sensors are attached to the knuckles right now with body moulding tape. This is an okay short term solution, but I would not consider it a long term solution.

I could replace both of the knuckles, but that is an expensive way to fix the threads. I could also drill and tap another small hole in the knuckle, and make a simple bracket to hold the wheel speed sensor in place. The knuckles are about $300, so I am leaning towards fabricating my own simple bracket out of some simple bar stock that I already own. I will also plan on using lots of anti-sieze compound on the new bolts so that they can actually be removed at a later date.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:39 AM

where do the front sensors go after they disappear under the plastic wheel cover?
Old 05-24-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega13 View Post
where do the front sensors go after they disappear under the plastic wheel cover?
They should not go too far before there is a connection. I have not traced them past the connection though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Technical and Specific Interest Nissan Discussion > Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.