How long will stock shocks last with lowering springs - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-03-2011, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How long will stock shocks last with lowering springs

I do quite a bit a miles and i've heard that when people lower their car they usually in the long run end up going to coilovers because the stock shocks are shot. Around how many miles would this happen (mostly hwy) if you put on lowering springs (car fairly new).

My question is do i just do springs and deal with the shock issue when it comes...or save up forever to get coilovers. Don't say "go coilovers" cause duh...everybody wants them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-04-2011, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
put tein springs in the altima brand new back in 06. still going strong. i believe theres about 50k+ miles on it

"Sorry Gramps, My Altima's Nicer Than Yours"

"I would like to apologize in advance for being brutally honest!"

MODS:

- Cargo Net retrofitted in the trunk
- 10w HID Converted Dome Lamp
- 8w HID Converted Door Lamps
- Removed OEM FogLight Covers
- Relocated "Special Edition" badge
- Custom Floor Mats with visible "Special Edition" Logo
#3 Old 06-04-2011, 01:46 AM
Winner March 2010 NOTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody17 View Post
I do quite a bit a miles and i've heard that when people lower their car they usually in the long run end up going to coilovers because the stock shocks are shot. Around how many miles would this happen (mostly hwy) if you put on lowering springs (car fairly new).

My question is do i just do springs and deal with the shock issue when it comes...or save up forever to get coilovers. Don't say "go coilovers" cause duh...everybody wants them.
Sounds like you're in the situation I was a couple of years ago. I purchased and installed some Tein S.Techs, on stock struts. I rode with the springs for 1.5 years (40k+ miles) , but the struts failed at about the 8-10 month mark, so I had about half the time on okay struts, and the rest on blown struts. On blown struts the ride was miserable, I could hear them clanking around, and there was no shock absorption at all, it was just like riding on some springs that happened to be mounted to solid steel struts.

When the time finally came to replace the struts, it came time to make a decision. I did not really want to reinstall struts (compressing the springs is a bitch), so I looked around for a set of lightly used coilovers. Turned out I could get some coilovers for ~$500 shipped, while I could get some struts (+install) for about $350. I then saw what I could sell my springs for ($125-$150), so when it came down to it, it was easy for me to jump to coilovers, as they were essentially equal to the cost of new struts (Coilovers: $500-$150=$350. Struts: $350 [parts+install]).

For the time being, it cant hurt to just go with the springs to start out with, the struts will fail sooner or later, highway driving or not (I commuted 50 miles a day ALL highway, and mine still failed). Coilovers maybe better in the long run, but only if you actually care to have adjustable ride height and dampening. If not then springs are just fine.

Hope that helped a bit, feel free to PM me or reply here if you have any more questions.

#4 Old 06-04-2011, 01:59 AM
Altimer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
If you were to install springs, such as the s-tech's, swap out the struts and shocks for some KYB's at the same time and you're all set. Your stock struts and shocks will not last long with a lowered setup. Mine lasted about a year and was unbearable at the end.

Altima traded for Odyssey
Current - 01 HIGHLANDER
#5 Old 06-04-2011, 06:21 AM

(Thread Starter)
so...sounds like go just go with the coilovers. sorry for my lack of knowledge here...my plan was to do eibach springs OR lighty used coilovers. sounds like the consensus is to just go straight to coilovers...

thanks for your thoughts
#6 Old 06-04-2011, 07:36 AM
Winner March 2010 NOTM

Coilovers if you want full adjustability. They don't offer ride comfort, but do offer adjustability and track performance.

#7 Old 06-04-2011, 03:07 PM

(Thread Starter)
lol i drive a hybrid...i'm looking to just get a little more performance and mainly to get rid of the horrible wheel well gap. as far as performance goes..i'm not really going for much.
#8 Old 06-04-2011, 03:17 PM
Winner March 2010 NOTM

Quote:
lol i drive a hybrid...i'm looking to just get a little more performance and mainly to get rid of the horrible wheel well gap. as far as performance goes..i'm not really going for much.
Then you would essentially be wasting the additional $500 that coilovers are going to cost you. In your case, just for looks, go with a new shock/spring combo > coilovers.

#9 Old 06-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Altimer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I've only read once where someone has lowered their hybrid. They purchased Eibach springs then had to install an isolator in the top mount to raise the back end up. Back end sits down way too far because of the heavy batteries.

Altima traded for Odyssey
Current - 01 HIGHLANDER
#10 Old 06-05-2011, 08:03 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hattrick3518 View Post
Then you would essentially be wasting the additional $500 that coilovers are going to cost you. In your case, just for looks, go with a new shock/spring combo > coilovers.
i was thinking this would be the cheapest way...i can get a lightly used set of d2's for $650. not worth it? what do you mean replace the shock/spring combo...eibach springs with what shocks? obviously the performance upgrade by lowering is wanted...but this is a daily driver for me so i need something that will last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike James View Post
I've only read once where someone has lowered their hybrid. They purchased Eibach springs then had to install an isolator in the top mount to raise the back end up. Back end sits down way too far because of the heavy batteries.
a couple of guys have done it...the two ways i've seen are:

- rtking: "Energy Suspension" polyurethane pads: Lowering the Nissan Altima Hybrid : Altima Hybrid

- victore1123 (i believe)- can't find the post but he put like a spring stop or something between two parts of the spring in turn lifting the back.
#11 Old 06-05-2011, 08:25 PM

(Thread Starter)
#12 Old 06-05-2011, 09:03 PM

(Thread Starter)
so, coilovers do not offer as comfy a ride as a set of say, eibachs and new shocks/struts? what am i looking at cost wise for the new shocks and struts?
#13 Old 06-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Winner March 2010 NOTM

Quote:
so, coilovers do not offer as comfy a ride as a set of say, eibachs and new shocks/struts? what am i looking at cost wise for the new shocks and struts?
No, not usually, not those D2's anyways. Look at KYB GR2 shocks and struts. Matched with springs, it shouldn't run you more than $450.

#14 Old 06-06-2011, 02:47 AM

(Thread Starter)
thanks for the info!

does the kyb shock/strut sit lower? why will this work better with the eibach lowering spring vs. the stock one? is it adjustable or something? researching now...

Last edited by Woody17; 06-06-2011 at 03:04 AM.
#15 Old 06-06-2011, 03:06 AM

(Thread Starter)
the kyb catalog explicitly says not for the hybrid:
NISSAN Altima
2010 Sedan (Exc. Hybrid) Right Hand 339146
Left Hand 339147
Base & S Models (Sedan Only) 349075

Any alternatives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Technical and Specific Interest Nissan Discussion > Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode