Popping/crackling noise from upper wheel/strout area - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Popping/crackling noise from upper wheel/strout area

Recently I was going around 50mph and had to slam my breaks completely and turn hard to the left and my car dipped in the front hard from the force and I missed the car thank God but now I hear a popping/cracking noise when turning the wheel left or right or going over bumps and its loud from the upper front wheel area/strout area.Took to Nissan and they said absolutely positive i damaged my strouts and about 5 other places said this also was probably what happened.Getting ready to put back on factory springs and take it in but has anyone else had this poblem eventually with that noise and what was the outcome?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 05:07 AM
Registered Boozer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That has never happened to me hard braking never broke my struts with the eibachs or also with the oem springs i never really gave enough brake to bottom the struts out but I'm on coils now and since I've installed the bbk I've done some hard braking to bed in the pads but nothing strong enough to nose dive the coils completely just heavy braking and no noises to speak of you should upgrade to kybs

;
?
Old 01-25-2012, 07:56 AM

I can't imagine hard braking and turning damaging anything unless you actually hit a curb or something. I also don't under stand how the struts can be damaged without doing damage to a lot of other suspension parts.

I would jack the car up and tighten down all the various mounting bolts. I suppose it is possible something was coming loose before the hard braking and turn, and then it caused something to slip. Also check the rubber bushings on the lower A arms. They could have been going bad and the extra force pushed them over the edge.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:45 PM

if your car is under 36k miles just take it in for warranty work

2011 3.5sr
powder coated ''19 g35 rays, dvd indash, subs, etc
Old 01-26-2012, 12:00 AM

Turns out I had my Eibach lowering springs put on a week and a half ago and started making that crazy noises and what not when turning the steering wheel and going ove rbumps some times.Well...Eibach has an error in some of there pro-kit 6386.140. They say in the instructions to put the springs right side up with there name on it.Well if you do that on this spring its wrong.They put there name upside down on it.So thats what was causing the noise.The installers went based on that and The part that swivels and is plastic that sits on top of the spring was forced so tight to fit that it couldnt rotate right when turning the steering wheel.The plastic swivel piece is suppose to just rest comfortable on top of the spring when putting it all back together.That would mean the opposite side of the spring was the right way.The shorter side in diameter of the spring sits on the bottom toward the ground and the the little larger end of the spring sits on top toward the sky.They even said they made a mistake and wants me to get the actual serial number on the spring so they can fix it.So now the noise is gone.Not sure if all the springs are like that from this model.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Technical and Specific Interest Nissan Discussion > Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode