Maxima brake swap on my 4th Gen - Page 3 - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 05:18 AM

even if you didnt go through the metal it seems like you have shaved the metal too thin. i dont think you should be using shaved down brake components. sanded smooth is alright. they have a certain thickness for a reason. shaving them that thin may cause failure and and accident. IMO. just wait to get bigger rims so you wont have the clearance issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Mistakes happen. Get bigger wheels

Sent from a free Android app, screw an iPhone

PM me for Overlay or Projector Retrofits

Old 03-29-2012, 11:32 AM
May '12 NOTM winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow_4_u View Post
Mistakes happen. Get bigger wheels

Sent from a free Android app, screw an iPhone
Good suggestion shawn.Wade I agree I think you should be patient and get larger wheels!

PM me for projector retrofits, halos and more!
My retro thread http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/ult...07-altima.html
Complete projector retrofits http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/ult...retrofits.html
DIY Strut replacement for 2007-2012 Altima http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/f-q...ima-sedan.html
DIY Rear Shock replacement 2007-2012 Altima http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/f-q...ima-sedan.html
Wiring stillen header on a 2.5 http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/200...a-cel-fix.html
Old 03-29-2012, 03:34 PM
BoSs DoN bIG WaVeY

+1 on what shawn said get bigger wheels....
Old 03-29-2012, 04:07 PM

Yah, I'll figure out what I want to do, Safety is important to me, thats why i wanted to do this. In time I will get back into finishing it. Thanks for fallowing my thread guys, one day I will bring this back from the dead lol.

2009 Altima coupe 2.5 6spd; my babe!

Amsoil synthetics, LED lights, illuminated kickplates, WC Lathewerks shift knob, Racing Line STS/TB kit/strut bar/RSB/ front & rear end links/ first 4th gen 2.5 with racing Line springs, first 4th gen to swap 7th gen maxima brakes (on 16" wheels).
-Plans for now/future:restored old school wheels in progress/ quad projector retrofit in progress.

Best 1/4 mile; 15.598@88.3MPH factory stock to the tires.

DD/work ride; 2000 Nissan Xterra 4WD V6 5spd
-Damn thing has a taste for blood and all my time, bringing him back to life= taking my money
Old 03-29-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade01 View Post
Yah, I'll figure out what I want to do, Safety is important to me, thats why i wanted to do this. In time I will get back into finishing it. Thanks for fallowing my thread guys, one day I will bring this back from the dead lol.
just take your time do it right and be safe
Old 03-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
He who has never failed, has never tried! He who succeeds, had to try first.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:07 PM
May '12 NOTM winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade01 View Post
Rome wasn't built in one day!
Old 03-29-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inspiration View Post
Rome wasn't built in one day!
Nope lol. Stuff like this happens when you try something different . Oh well...
Old 08-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Wade, here is my .02 cents worth here for you and anyone else that will listen. You can reduce your cost on this project by building what I call a "hybrid" caliper. You NEED the caliper bracket from the 2009 Maxima, BUT you can actually use the caliper from a 6th gen Maxima, or better yet, the Altima SER. The SER caliper has a nice flat face that is a good deal more attractive. They both also use the same 12.6" vented rotor. The SER calipers are still more expensive, however the 6th gen Maxima calipers can be bought for alot less. Again, you need the caliper bracket as the SER/ 6th gen Maxima bracket willl not fit your mounting locations on the knuckle. Besides the 4th gen Altima and the 7th gen Maxima have vastly superior designs on the caliper brackets. Pistons size is the same for all vehicles I have spoke of, its the brackets that are the difference.

Wheels/Suspension: 5Zigen 19x8 Pro Racers-Falken F452 245/35/19 Tires-Eibach Sportline Springs
Visual: S5 Grille-20% Tint-M3 Window lip Spoiler-LED Cluster/Switches-TWM Weighted Shift Knob
Performance: C-man Headers-C-man 3" Y-Pipe-Magnaflow Exhaust-PNP'd Heads w/Ferra Valves-RevUp Oil Pump-Pulley-JWT C9 Cams-Haltech Platinum ECU-Fujita5 CAI-Weisco Pistons-ARP Head Studs
Audio: Kenwood DNX-9140-ZED Leviathan-Focal Speakers-Sound Deadened-XBox-270Amp Alt
Old 08-01-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DZC View Post
Wade, here is my .02 cents worth here for you and anyone else that will listen. You can reduce your cost on this project by building what I call a "hybrid" caliper. You NEED the caliper bracket from the 2009 Maxima, BUT you can actually use the caliper from a 6th gen Maxima, or better yet, the Altima SER. The SER caliper has a nice flat face that is a good deal more attractive. They both also use the same 12.6" vented rotor. The SER calipers are still more expensive, however the 6th gen Maxima calipers can be bought for alot less. Again, you need the caliper bracket as the SER/ 6th gen Maxima bracket willl not fit your mounting locations on the knuckle. Besides the 4th gen Altima and the 7th gen Maxima have vastly superior designs on the caliper brackets. Pistons size is the same for all vehicles I have spoke of, its the brackets that are the difference.
Thanks for the suggestion ! But that would mean I have to buy 4 calipers instead of 2 if I get you right . I am really budget restricted . Unless you would be willing to donate the calipers lol :P??? I am actually re-starting this project now though and getting the parts as I have enough saved ! I figured a solution for one of the clearance issues ! I am buying everything in the next day or so.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Sometimes you can buy each of the parts separate and get a nice price for each....just have to be resourceful. , besides the only 6th gen calipers I have are the ones I powder coated Copper Metallic, and you dont wanna go grinding on them! lol

This is the part you would need from a 6th gen Maxima....

Last edited by 4DZC; 08-01-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DZC View Post
Sometimes you can buy each of the parts separate and get a nice price for each....just have to be resourceful. , besides the only 6th gen calipers I have are the ones I powder coated Copper Metallic, and you dont wanna go grinding on them! lol
LOL!! I couldnt do that to your calipers . Would really like to have you powder coat mine though ! Ill look into your suggestion though, but idk if the pads would sit correctly !
Old 08-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Pads should be exactly the same...iirc ONLY the bracket is different, and the major difference is the location of the mounting holes in the brackets...They are further out than the earlier 6th gen Max/SER. As far as powder coating, in due time, im sure. We'll talk later.....

Last edited by 4DZC; 08-03-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:12 PM

Some progress pics ! Getting this thing done!!

Got the rotors and had to see how they looked! N I LOVE IT!!!

Installed;

Stock;

Rotor to wheel gap went from 1.25" +- to .75"+-. I love how they fill in the wheel, Now I have to wait for the new calipers, paint, and a few other things! GRRRR.. lol

What do you guys think??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Technical and Specific Interest Nissan Discussion > Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.