Torquing wheels nuts - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-02-2012, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Torquing wheels nuts

I just changed out my winter tires myself and I am wondering if it is absolutely necessary to torque the wheel nuts as it says in the nissan manual. I usually get this done with my oil change at the dealership but I decided to do that myself as well and have no idea if the dealership would do this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-02-2012, 09:34 PM

i don't use a torque wrench for my lugs. i just make them nice and tight.

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5s
#3 Old 04-02-2012, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Torqueing the wheels would be a very good idea. You can do it by hand but, you dont know if they'r tight enough, or too tight. Also, it keeps the wheels pressure on the hub equal, helping to prevent the wheel from wobbling (wont feel it) and also keeps the rotor perfectly flat, preventing the rotor from warping. I always torque my wheels, I'd never use an air-impact gun or anything like that to put them back on, but to take them off it's fine.

2009 Altima coupe 2.5 6spd; my babe!

Amsoil synthetics, LED lights, illuminated kickplates, WC Lathewerks shift knob, Racing Line STS/TB kit/strut bar/RSB/ front & rear end links/ first 4th gen 2.5 with racing Line springs, first 4th gen to swap 7th gen maxima brakes (on 16" wheels).
-Plans for now/future:restored old school wheels in progress/ quad projector retrofit in progress.

Best 1/4 mile; 15.598@88.3MPH factory stock to the tires.

DD/work ride; 2000 Nissan Xterra 4WD V6 5spd
-Damn thing has a taste for blood and all my time, bringing him back to life= taking my money
#4 Old 04-02-2012, 10:14 PM
June '12 NOTM winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade01 View Post
Torqueing the wheels would be a very good idea. You can do it by hand but, you dont know if they'r tight enough, or too tight. Also, it keeps the wheels pressure on the hub equal, helping to prevent the wheel from wobbling (wont feel it) and also keeps the rotor perfectly flat, preventing the rotor from warping. I always torque my wheels, I'd never use an air-impact gun or anything like that to put them back on, but to take them off it's fine.
Why would you not ever use an impact gun? I use mine and set the compressor at the pressure that I want to torque my lugs and go to town.... But I deff. use it to take the rims off in winter...

-=>>Black Nissan Alti. 3.5SE <<=-
My Quad Retrofit!
#5 Old 04-02-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluys View Post
Why would you not ever use an impact gun? I use mine and set the compressor at the pressure that I want to torque my lugs and go to town.... But I deff. use it to take the rims off in winter...
impact guns are not accurate on how tight they make the lugnuts, even with adjusting the air pressure. The only way to properly/accurately tighten the wheels or anything that should be torqued is with a torque wrench. I have like 4 of them lol. but 2 are specialized. Torquing is really for longevity, things/parts will last longer when done right imo

Amsoil synthetics, LED lights, illuminated kickplates, WC Lathewerks shift knob, Racing Line STS/TB kit/strut bar/RSB/ front & rear end links/ first 4th gen 2.5 with racing Line springs, first 4th gen to swap 7th gen maxima brakes (on 16" wheels).
-Plans for now/future:restored old school wheels in progress/ quad projector retrofit in progress.

-Damn thing has a taste for blood and all my time, bringing him back to life= taking my money
#6 Old 04-02-2012, 10:28 PM

well since you have 4 torque wrenches... you wanna give me one for free? lol
mine is very old

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5s
#7 Old 04-02-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black2.5alti View Post
well since you have 4 torque wrenches... you wanna give me one for free? lol
mine is very old
LMAO!! Might have one to spare in my garage! But your not getting my Snap-on one lol. But idk about free lol, cheap though

#8 Old 04-02-2012, 10:37 PM

what kind do you have in your garage? i was looking at one of those brand new digital craftsman torque wrenches. i wonder how reliable they are though

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5s
#9 Old 04-02-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black2.5alti View Post
what kind do you have in your garage? i was looking at one of those brand new digital craftsman torque wrenches. i wonder how reliable they are though
Took a quick look, I got a goodie ! Not the digital one but...

It's a little old, but I dont think it was ever used lol. lmk, we can work something out unless someone else sees this n beats u to it . Open to trades or a lil cash plus shipping, it's just collecting dust , I'm sure someone could use it! The important thing with torque wrenches is "their" accuracy (believe it or not they are not 100% accurate). My click Snap-on is +- 2% I think, My good ones are 1% I believe. I dont think craftsman is as accurate, but they'r not bad.

#10 Old 04-02-2012, 11:00 PM

alright i'll get back to you on it tomorrow. i'll pm you if i want it (which i most likely will). pm me your zip code, so i can see what the estimated shipping would be

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5s
#11 Old 04-03-2012, 12:27 AM

I torque the lugs on my 03 to 90ftlbs

03 Altima S.E 3.5
Mods...Lots.
#12 Old 04-03-2012, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade01 View Post
torqueing the wheels would be a very good idea. You can do it by hand but, you dont know if they'r tight enough, or too tight. Also, it keeps the wheels pressure on the hub equal, helping to prevent the wheel from wobbling (wont feel it) and also keeps the rotor perfectly flat, preventing the rotor from warping. I always torque my wheels, i'd never use an air-impact gun or anything like that to put them back on, but to take them off it's fine.
exactly
#13 Old 04-04-2012, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustafa View Post
I just changed out my winter tires myself and I am wondering if it is absolutely necessary to torque the wheel nuts as it says in the nissan manual. I usually get this done with my oil change at the dealership but I decided to do that myself as well and have no idea if the dealership would do this.
it is absolutely necessary to torque wheels. over tightening isnt the way to go, just make sure they are at atleast 80 ft/lbs. any less and they could loosen up and cause an accident, any more (like alot more) than u risk stretching the studs.

2010 Infiniti G37 Moonlight white19" AVANT GARDE|EIBACH|NEXUS7|DEBADGED
2011 Nissan Altima Super black19" GENcoupe trk|EIBACH|KENWOOD|DEBADGED**GONE
#14 Old 04-05-2012, 03:05 AM

do mine 90lbs as well.....torque wrench is a very handy tool!! and don't forget to retorque between 100-150kms after as well...
#15 Old 04-06-2012, 04:04 AM

if you do seasonal changes you may want to look into a torque stick. its engineered to flex a predetermined amount to cause your impact to slip at the designed torque. I use a 80 ft/lb on my old civic and it always reads 79 ft/lbs on my torque wrench as i always double check it. It works really well, just don't forget to thread the lug nuts on by hand the first couple threads to avoid cross threading, then go to town like a nascar pit crew lol. This is what they look like, can be bought for about $10 each, and come in most common torque ratings.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Technical and Specific Interest Nissan Discussion > Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode