The Nissan Club banner

Brake "Pop" Sound and Pedal

11K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  jeffreywilfong 
#1 ·
'09 Altima

During yesterday's afternoon commute, I began to feel a 'pop' in the brake pedal as I released it, and this morning I started hearing a 'pop' sound as well. This happens about 90% of the time I release the brake pedal. When this happens, the brakes become sensitive as well.

I checked my brake fluid level and it's fine.

I couldn't find anything online about this specific problem, but in my search, I saw some people were having problems with their MC or fluid leaking into their brake booster - or that their brake booster needed to be replaced.

Does anyone have experience with this 'pop' sound/feel? Anybody know definitely what's wrong?

I'll probably be taking it to the shop soon...

Thanks,

#2 ·
Certainly an odd sound to come from brakes.
The best idea is to have the car checked out by a trusted mechanic.
Hopefully, he will quickly find and repair the problem.
Please let us know what solves the problem.

There was a Nissan service bulletin issued for a too sensitive brake issue for 2010 and 2011 models--though this might not be the issue with your car, since the TSB applies to cars built since June 2010.

NTB10-153

2010 – 2011 ALTIMA AND MAXIMA;
BRAKES FEEL MORE SENSITIVE THAN EXPECTED

APPLIED VEHICLES: 2010 – 2011 Altima Sedan & Coupe (L32 & CL32)

2010 – 2011 Maxima (A35)

APPLIED VINs: 2010 Altima built after: 1N4(*)L2(***)AC 173905 (Smyrna)
or 1N4(*)L2(***)AN 527905 (Canton)

2011 Altima built before: 1N4(*)L2(***)BC 105774 (Smyrna)
or 1N4(*)L2(***)BN 407818 (Canton)

2010 Maxima built after: 1N4AA5AP(*)AC 862521

2011 Maxima built before: 1N4AA5AP(*)BC 807780

APPLIED DATE Vehicles built between June 9, 2010 and September 21, 2010

IF YOU CONFIRM

The brakes feel more sensitive than expected with light to moderate brake application,

and/or

Towards the end of bringing the vehicle to a stop (last few feet), the vehicle stops
SLIGHTLY quicker than expected.

ACTION

Replace the Brake Booster Assembly

#4 ·
My money is on master cylinder...but could be something as simple as a novel failure for our under-powered brake light switches.

#5 ·
Unfortunately it's exactly what I was afraid of - the master cylinder is leaking into the brake booster and both need to be replaced. The first mechanic quoted me $921 for parts, a flush, and 3 hours of labor. I have an appointment with Nissan next Saturday to see if this would be repaired under the TSB.

#6 ·
Hmm, RockAuto has the master cylinder (Centric) and brake booster (Cardone) for about $100/ea so say $250 shipped w/taxes. 3 hours of labour 'bout $300. That'd be my play, order the parts, pay a reputable mechanic to install them. If the independents won't touch parts (they didn't just make $300 on) then usually my Nissan dealer will install aftermarket parts (that don't violate emission laws) at the shop rate. Call around to make sure you have someone who will install 'customer supplied parts'.

#8 ·
Booster #534940 is the same across all variants, but you didn't specify engine size, transmission type and whether you have VDC or not...so the master cylinder I cannot comment on.

#10 ·
So CENTRIC Part # 13042417, or if VDC CENTRIC Part # 13042418.

#12 ·
A couple weeks ago I took it into my local Nissan dealer, and after performing some sort of leak test on the MC (I assume they pressure tested it), they determined it was leaking and replaced it for free under something they called an "unannounced recall."

I still have the "pop" feeling in the pedal and the sensitive braking, so I'll have to eventually replace the booster if I want to get rid of that nuisance. For now I've adapted to it, so I'm not in a rush to fix it.

Thanks for the replies, and I hope this post helps anyone who might have the same problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.