LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 09-08-2016, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2007 pathfinder radio problems

Hello,

My son has an 07 pathfinder and he noticed a few weeks ago that the radio was not turning off when he turned the car off, the display would stay lit. And it killed the battery one night. Sometimes it would turn off, but then it would come back on. I eventually removed the fuse so it wouldn't drain the battery. But he noticed yesterday that the radio came on again for a short time ~30 seconds and then went off.
This is the stock radio that came with it and nothing has been changed. I initially was thinking that there was something internal in the radio with the display not turning off, but now I'm not sure.

Does anyone have any ideas what to check or have seen this before?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-08-2016, 07:45 PM
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Perhaps the 'always on' power feed to the radio is somehow shorting to the 'igntion power' feed? If so, this is likely going on inside the radio unit...so you might want to source another used HU one and swap them out. I don't think a harness short could cause this...but would need to check the FSM to see what else would get 'back powered'...and I suspect the list is long enough to blow the radio fuse 10x over.

Nissan OEM HIDs with Morimoto bulbs/harness, RacingLine FStB & RSwB @ 200%, ETI LED Fogs,
BBK: PowerStop Powder Coated Calipers: M45 Front/Stock Rears w/StopTech slotted sport rotors
BOSE Headunit w/USB & BT (2012 update), Dunlop Signature HP (summer) / Blizzak WS80 (winter)

Altima FSMs & Useful posts: Bose Upgrade / Alternator / Bad Ground / Rear Brakes / TPMS Reset /
/ Spurious ABS / Audio Power / ABS Diag / Steering Lock
post #3 of 5 Old 09-15-2016, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the response. Since then the radio came back on and killed the battery. I've already pulled the fuse under the hood, does anyone know if there is another fuse for the radio? or have a link to a diagram anywhere?

Thanks,

post #4 of 5 Old 09-15-2016, 02:55 PM
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poseyj View Post
Thanks for the response. Since then the radio came back on and killed the battery. I've already pulled the fuse under the hood, does anyone know if there is another fuse for the radio? or have a link to a diagram anywhere?

Thanks,
Have a look at page AV-12 or thereabouts

Nissan OEM HIDs with Morimoto bulbs/harness, RacingLine FStB & RSwB @ 200%, ETI LED Fogs,
BBK: PowerStop Powder Coated Calipers: M45 Front/Stock Rears w/StopTech slotted sport rotors
BOSE Headunit w/USB & BT (2012 update), Dunlop Signature HP (summer) / Blizzak WS80 (winter)

Altima FSMs & Useful posts: Bose Upgrade / Alternator / Bad Ground / Rear Brakes / TPMS Reset /
/ Spurious ABS / Audio Power / ABS Diag / Steering Lock
post #5 of 5 Old 09-16-2016, 12:52 PM
MRR
2010 2.5 SL

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Have any other aftemarket things been done? It's not too unlikely that an "always on" was tied to an "ignition" line somewhere. My dad's boat suffered from this same problem due to a previous owner's creative wiring.

Actually, in thinking about that radio, I was surprised at how it worked.
"Always on" is fed to that radio with a thick wire.
A very thin (or was until I rewired it with 12 gauge marine wire) "ignition" wire tells the radio when to actually draw full power from "always on" for more than just retaining memory.

Assuming your stereo works the same, it thinks the ignition is on. Either externally because the "ignition" wire is hot (get a multimeter to check) or internally due to some other oddness.

Whatever the reason, I suggest using a multimeter to see if "ignition" is incorrectly hot at all times. If it is, then the car is most likely* your problem. If it isn't, then the stereo is your problem

*I suppose it's possible that a crossed connection in the stereo could make the "ignition" wire hot, but I find that unlikely.
The Following User Says Thank You to MRR For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > Nissan Trucks & Off Road Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode