Transponder Key Help - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 03:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Transponder Key Help

My sister has a 2007 Versa that she has lost a key and only has one. I just found out the dealer wants $106 for a key blank and another $80 to program the key. Is there a way to turn OFF the transponder feature or disable, maybe with a scan tool or diconnect something. I have seen keys on ebay for around $7.99 to $24. The local locksmiths want $180 to program...is there a way to program the key with the car...Ford had a way on one of there late 90's car where you could program a blank key with a good key and the car ( i am NOT talking about the key fob... i am talking about a key with a chip) THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2008, 10:11 AM

I think that there is a way to program the key with a good one as well, but don't hold me to that. I also know that if you happen to have a Home Depot in your area, they will sell you the blank, cut the key, and then program it also for $60 bucks. The price isn't great, but it's much better than sending your only good key to who knows where to get it cut and programmed, or paying the dealership prices. Good luck.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:14 AM

I was wondering why all the locksmiths said don't go to Home Depot. I asked why and they said they won't cut the key right after someone else programs it, or some othe BS. They never said that Home Depot could program the key also...$60 is ok for me. It's better than paying close to $200. THANK YOU
Old 05-14-2009, 06:55 PM

Homedepot can program transponders??
Old 06-06-2009, 09:19 AM

yes, yes they can. At the key kiosk.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:05 AM

Wonder if thats just USA? I'm in Canada. I'll have to look into that.

I managed to find a local locksmith with a Consult II so I got my ebay key cut and programmed $45.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:26 AM
Slave to the Wife

i recently lost a key, and i need to replace it real soon so i plan on getting the flip out key from eBay.so i was wondering if you can program the key yourself so i searched the web and found this page.
here is the link Smartkey programming

I reject your reality and substitute my own
03 ALTIMA=POLISHED PEWTER
LIMO TINT=APC FOGS
DARK FORCE TECHNOLOGYS 3" COLDAIRINTAKE
MAGNAFLOW MUFFLER\TIP=SATISFIED CERAMIC PADS
30"MAGNAPACK=2.5" PIPING
SSAUTOCHROME XS HEADERS=CROSS DRILLED ROTORS. coming soon
MY RIDE
altimas.net

Last edited by doevil98; 07-25-2009 at 12:27 AM. Reason: i fudged up on the spelling
Old 07-25-2009, 07:33 PM

ONLY dealer's can register keys. It requires submitting a pin number from your body control module to nissan corperate to get a nissan anti theft code. Even then it requires a consult II or III scan tool to register the key. And I have seen it done, don't know how but people have bypassed the security system. But the system is hardwired into your engine control module and your body control module.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:23 PM

Transponder keys are not programmable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
I think that there is a way to program the key with a good one as well, but don't hold me to that. I also know that if you happen to have a Home Depot in your area, they will sell you the blank, cut the key, and then program it also for $60 bucks. The price isn't great, but it's much better than sending your only good key to who knows where to get it cut and programmed, or paying the dealership prices. Good luck.
The transponder inside a car key has a fixed reply that it transmits back to the car when querried. When you "program a key" you are actually doing nothing to the key, but you are telling the car to accept the reply it gets from that transponder key as a valid reply. Nothing actually happens to the key itself. Because of this, it is impossible for Home Depot to actually "program a key" unless they have some special hardware that will rewrite the internals of a key to reply differently. Since the transponder chip is programmed before it is put into the keys, I don't think Home Depot has that technology to do that (sorry Home Depot). Home Depot sells only Non-transponder type car keys (dumb keys). Great for unlocking trunks and doors, and turning on the accessories, but not for starting the car. Maybe they are starting to carry electronic house keys, so maybe that is what they told you about.
They also cannot program the car to accept a second key without having the car and a programming computer (Dealer or Locksmith item costing several thousand dollars) since the programming takes place on the car not the key.

When the dealer or locksmith programs your car to accept a second key with the computer (when you have none or only 1 available), there is a delay imposed by the car computer (I think it is 10 - 15 minutes depending on the vechicle). This LONG delay supposedly stops someone from making a physical copy of your key and then quickly programming it into your car to get a working copy of your ignition key (possibly without your knowledge). I guess they feel if you already have 2 working keys in your posession you must be the owner, so it's OK to accept another key code more quickly. You can program a third key (up to 5 total) yourself, if you have 2 already programmed keys. The exact procedure varies between car companies, models and model years, but the general procedure goes like this...

1) Have 2 working keys, and close all doors (some models).
2) Insert key A into the ignition
3) Turn ignition to the ON position (don't start the car) and wait for some amount of time (normally 1 - 5 seconds or so).
4) Turn the ignition back to the OFF position and wait for some amount of time (again, normally 1 - 5 seconds or so).
5) Possibly repeat step 3 and 4 up to 4 more times (depending on model).
6) Remove key A and insert Key B into the ignition.
7) Repeat steps 3,4 and 5 with key B.
8) Remove key B and insert the unprogrammed Key C and turn the ignition to ON (again don't start the car yet).
9) Wait for some amount of time
10) On some models start the car with new key C, but doing this on some others will terminate the programming sequence a this key.
10) If a Key D (or E) is required , repeat steps 8, 9 and 10 with Key D (or E).

If you already have 3 keys programmed, and you try to program 3 more, the key that was used longest ago will be removed and replaced by the last key programmed.

Hopefully this will help everyone.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:49 AM

What is the final answer?

Is Home Depot definitely out? They were not able to help me with my Altima key (and I need one real bad).

Sounds like no Consult II is required but somebody says that was the way to go?

The RLKnecht method sounds intriguing.

I have 2 good Versa keys, where would a get the third key (key C in the example)?

Would I go to ebay and search for unprogrammed Nissan Versa key, would I get one at the dealer? How much is a "blank" key that I will allow me to use this method and where would I get it cut?

I need to know where to get a key C and where to get it cut.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLKnecht View Post
The transponder inside a car key has a fixed reply that it transmits back to the car when querried. When you "program a key" you are actually doing nothing to the key, but you are telling the car to accept the reply it gets from that transponder key as a valid reply. Nothing actually happens to the key itself. Because of this, it is impossible for Home Depot to actually "program a key" unless they have some special hardware that will rewrite the internals of a key to reply differently. Since the transponder chip is programmed before it is put into the keys, I don't think Home Depot has that technology to do that (sorry Home Depot). Home Depot sells only Non-transponder type car keys (dumb keys). Great for unlocking trunks and doors, and turning on the accessories, but not for starting the car. Maybe they are starting to carry electronic house keys, so maybe that is what they told you about.
They also cannot program the car to accept a second key without having the car and a programming computer (Dealer or Locksmith item costing several thousand dollars) since the programming takes place on the car not the key.

When the dealer or locksmith programs your car to accept a second key with the computer (when you have none or only 1 available), there is a delay imposed by the car computer (I think it is 10 - 15 minutes depending on the vechicle). This LONG delay supposedly stops someone from making a physical copy of your key and then quickly programming it into your car to get a working copy of your ignition key (possibly without your knowledge). I guess they feel if you already have 2 working keys in your posession you must be the owner, so it's OK to accept another key code more quickly. You can program a third key (up to 5 total) yourself, if you have 2 already programmed keys. The exact procedure varies between car companies, models and model years, but the general procedure goes like this...

3) Turn ignition to the ON position (don't start the car) and wait for some amount of time (normally 1 - 5 seconds or so).
4) Turn the ignition back to the OFF position and wait for some amount of time (again, normally 1 - 5 seconds or so).
8) Remove key B and insert the unprogrammed Key C and turn the ignition to ON (again don't start the car yet).
10) On some models start the car with new key C, but doing this on some others will terminate the programming sequence a this key.

If you already have 3 keys programmed, and you try to program 3 more, the key that was used longest ago will be removed and replaced by the last key programmed.

I was wondering... Has anyone ever tried this?? I really wanna try these switchblade keys
Old 02-12-2011, 07:59 AM

hey all i know im posting a little later than every one just wanted to shed a little light on the subject... first off, i work for home depot and we absolutely do not program cars for transponder keys, and the switchblade keys from ebay do work as i just got one myself however, my uncle is a nissan mechanic and there is NO way to program nissan cars by your self they do require a nissan computer or a tko bcm communicator. contrary to prior belief autozone and checker cannot do it either all they have are OBD II computers and OBD and BCM are 2 very different computers very sorry to say that a pro is the only who can do it. you can usually find a good locksmith most nissan dealerships have a rather large fee not to mention its a 1 hour minimum which comes to around 95 bucks have fun and good luck! its most definitely a very expensive thing to lose
Old 04-11-2011, 11:55 PM

Gotta be careful about what you buy on ebay but yeah, I bought two switchblade keys off ebay and never had a problem.....except with the dealer who didn't like that I didn't buy their $300 version from them and told me they couldn't program it and it was the wrong key for my car. Took the SAME key to a locksmith with Consult II....he cut and programmed without a problem.

If you have two keys for your car already and are looking to program a 3rd you can program the keys yourself by following RLKs instructions.

If you only have 1 key and need more programmed then you need to find someone with a Consult to program the 2nd key for you (now you have two keys and can program 3rd yourself). Some locksmiths have the Consult computers so call around.....and they'll be hella cheaper than the dealer.

PS I did ask home depot in Canada if they cut car keys and they looked at me like I was on crack. So no, home depot in Canada does also NOT cut car keys.

Last edited by normaltype; 04-12-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLKnecht View Post

RLKnecht is on the right track here, but it the procedure differs widely from vehicle to vehicle and not all vehicles have the ability to have a new key programmed for them without very specific and expensive equipment. Nissan unfortunately is one of these, they do not offer a way for the end user to program the vehicle to take a specific key. However, if you have a working key you should be able to find a locksmith who can 'clone' the existing key for you. Most of the blanks on ebay are pre-programmed and cannot be written to, but the locksmith should be able to come up with a new blank and cut it for you. Don't expect to pay less than $40 for a cloned key, however. The read/write blanks are not cheap and the equipment to clone a key is even less so. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I hope I was able to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > Nissan VERSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode