the versa CVT engine: worth it? - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2009, 12:12 AM

Question the versa CVT engine: worth it?

i'm looking at an 09 versa and i wonder if the CVT transmission is worth going for. i was reading some of your experiences and it seems that there could be more problems than if i just went with a regular automatic. thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj83 View Post
i'm looking at an 09 versa and i wonder if the CVT transmission is worth going for. i was reading some of your experiences and it seems that there could be more problems than if i just went with a regular automatic. thoughts?
I've had no problem with my CVT and love it. If you're looking to fix it up or street racing, etc, then I wouldn't recommend it. But if you're looking for just a daily driver type vehicle, then I would recommend it. Some people on here, might tell you different though.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:18 PM
2nd Gen Boy

Overall it's a good transmission.. It's very different in that it's 100% smooth and their is no shifting, but I'm sure it will hold up.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
2006 Ford Fusion SE V6 - OEM Spoiler - 18" Konig Wheels

Proud Husband of an EMT-I/Firefighter
Old 04-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Returning Member

You should get it. It's pretty fast because you don't get a drop in RPM unlike conventional auto trannsmission. When you punch the accelerator on a CVT equipped Versa, Sentra, or Altima, the RPM will rise to where the engine makes the most power, let’s say 5,000 RPM, and it stays there while the vehicle accelerates. Some people are put off by CVTs because it almost feels as if there’s something wrong with the car. Kind of like the transmission is slipping, even though everything is fine. After a couple of runs around the block, that initial feeling disappears.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Stupid question. Seems that you already have an opinion.
Quote:
Old 04-07-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DRZ View Post
Stupid question. Seems that you already have an opinion.
come on....there is no such thing as a stupid question. you sound like some of my students

I got to drive an 08 max w/ cvt and I liked it. it was very responsive to throttle input from a roll for above listed reasons. I think I would prefer it over my 5at.....

would like to thank birdturd for the nice chop
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgen2.5s View Post
So if you want it to look like an octopus is fu*king your engine then go for it and add 20 ground wires.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Returning Member

If he's worried about the CVT transmission, I think he should hear both sides to it. What got me hooked was the idea that the CVT provides more useable power, better fuel economy, and a smoother driving experience than a traditional automatic.

Advantages:

"Engines do not develop constant power at all speeds; they have specific speeds where torque (pulling power), horsepower (speed power) or fuel efficiency are at their highest levels. Because there are no gears to tie a given road speed directly to a given engine speed, the CVT can vary the engine speed as needed to access maximum power as well as maximum fuel efficiency. This allows the CVT to provide quicker acceleration than a conventional automatic or manual transmission while delivering superior fuel economy."

Courtesy of the wonderful world of NissanClub review, compilation.

Disadvantages:

"The CVT's biggest problem has been user acceptance. Because the CVT allows the engine to rev at any speed, the noises coming from under the hood sound odd to ears accustomed to conventional manual and automatic transmissions. The gradual changes in engine note sound like a sliding transmission or a slipping clutch -- signs of trouble with a conventional transmission, but perfectly normal for a CVT. Flooring an automatic car brings a lurch and a sudden burst of power, whereas CVTs provide a smooth, rapid increase to maximum power. To some drivers this makes the car feel slower, when in fact a CVT will generally out-accelerate an automatic.

Automakers have gone to great lengths to make the CVT feel more like a conventional transmission. Most CVTs are set up to creep forward when the driver takes his or her foot off the brake. This provides a similar feel to a conventional automatic, and serves as an indicator that the car is in gear. Other CVTs offer a "manual" mode that simulates manual gear changes.

Because early automotive CVTs were limited as to how much horsepower they could handle, there has been some concern about the long-term reliability of the CVT. Advanced technology has made the CVT much more robust. Nissan has more than a million CVTs in service around the world and uses them in powerful cars such as the 290 horsepower Maxima, and says their long-term reliability is comparable to conventional transmissions."

Still, in the right situation, CVT's advantages outweigh its disadvantages. Less complexity and fewer moving parts theoretically mean fewer things to go wrong and maintain.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Lol, Oh REALLY!? Re read below! lol Supid question.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_turner_02 View Post
come on....there is no such thing as a stupid question. you sound like some of my students

I got to drive an 08 max w/ cvt and I liked it. it was very responsive to throttle input from a roll for above listed reasons. I think I would prefer it over my 5at.....
Old 04-07-2009, 10:04 PM

thanks relaying your experiences with the CVT for me, very helpful!
Old 04-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Returning Member

Don't get discouraged. There's always a first. CVT is not entirely new anyways. It has been used since the early 1990's and so far, has a pretty good track record. Another reason why you may not see that many problems with CVTs is that not a whole lot of car manufacturer will put them in their cars. So the numbers can be a little deceiving. Then again, Nissan's put millions of CVTs out. If there were big problems, we would know of them by now. Especially if problems arise on the more powerful Murano and Maximas. CVTs aren't perfect. You hear of a lot of regular auto tranny have breakdowns too. Hybrid cars generally tend to use a CVT transmission. I know Honda uses them for sure.

CVTs are equally efficient going up hills too. There is no "gear hunting," because the CVT cycles down to a so-called "gear" (for the sake of comparison to gears) ratio that's best for the driving conditions. Did I mention there's no gearbox in CVT tranny? A regular tranny shifts back and forth trying to find the right gear. With CVT, the car will go up a hill more smoothly. The freeway ramp that I go onto every morning is proof enough. It's literally a hill and my car (equipped with CVT transmission) accelerates very quickly. I find myself tapping on the brakes or let go the accerlator just so the car in front of me can pick up speed, LOL!!! The thrill.......
Old 06-02-2011, 04:55 PM

the cool thing I've noticed with the cvt like the previous threads is that there is no oomph or jolt that you feel with other automatic transmissions when changing gears. I like how it's very smooth. But if you're going to add a turbo or other engine mods, the cvt can be a hindrance or difficult to add boost. For daily driving, I think the cvt is very appealing and it's very efficient especially on a Versa

2009 2.5s with Takeda sri, Stillen front strut brace, 6k HIDs, black matrix depo tails, glossy black roof vinyl, LED drls., Plastidipped oem bumper, BrakeMotive package
----
future mods: lowering springs, Racingline or Stillen rear sway bar, 4 channel amp, catback exhaust, 2JR pulley swap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > Nissan VERSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.