"Stuttering" when braking - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-09-2013, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
"Stuttering" when braking

I"ve tried to describe the following situation to the Nissan Maintenance several times but every time they say there's nothing wrong with my brakes.

For my 2008 Versa, it started within the past year. As I'm braking from almost any speed, lets say above 10 MPH, I feel when I brake a "stuttering" of sorts. Unlike the first few years when I bought the car new, the brakes don't gently, quickly, and quietly work. It feels like something isn't grabbing and/or skipping (throw in any other similar verbs). This happens when I drive by myself and I had a Nissan mechanic with me but I couldn't reproduce the issue.

So, does anyone know of the situation I'm trying to describe and what the cause/solution may be?

I appreciate any good feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-09-2013, 03:08 PM
The Capital's 6th Gen Max

It sounds like warped rotors. But if it was it would do it all the time, so I'm not sure.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome." --(Unkown)
#3 Old 02-09-2013, 04:21 PM

Warped rotors. Anytime I had it happen with my vehicle it was covered under warranty. That is ofcourse if 3/36 still applies.
#4 Old 02-09-2013, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

definitely a warped rotor. when a nissan tech goes for a test drive make sure they heat up the rotor first so they can get your symptom right

05 IS300|5spd
73 240z|4spd

#5 Old 02-22-2013, 06:49 PM

My question to you, do you feel stuttering when you are about 10 or less mphs and do you feel the brake pedal lightly pulsating. Or is it at all speeds. Reason being you might have an ABS sensor not reading properly but still reads enough for the ABS light not to go on. I've found vehicles that have done this and had to replace the sensors.
#6 Old 02-23-2013, 02:53 PM

(Thread Starter)
I do feel the stuttering around 10 mph or less and yes, there's a slight pulsating. I'll get the ABS sensor checked out...THX!!!!
#7 Old 02-23-2013, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

i doubt it is the abs, nissan vehicles are all equipped with a abs self check once the car is started and driven. if the sensor is off, the self check would throw the abs light on signaling a fault

05 IS300|5spd
73 240z|4spd

#8 Old 02-23-2013, 09:40 PM
NOTM - Feb 2010

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
more than likely it is warped rotors like others mentioned. nissans are notorious for having shitty rotors that like to warp way too frequently.

AEM CAI / Aerospeed XCS / NWP Spacers / Custom Y-Pipe / Raactive CF Exhaust + 3 inch piping / 2*Timing Advance / S5 Grill / M3 Roof Spoiler / 6000k Low / 6000k Fog / Oznium Angel Eyes / Tein S-Tech / Racingline FSTB / Nismo-Rays A34 / 235/35/19 Dunlop SP Sport MAXX / RTP Rotors / PBR Pads / SS lines / Redline Tuning Quicklift / LED Lighting
2006 SER - SOLD
2013 EVO X GSR
#9 Old 02-26-2013, 03:20 PM

I have seen sensors go bad, without the ABS light going on. To spot this problem you need a scanner that you can set it in slow graph mode. As you begin to pick up speed you should see each sensor registering the speed you are going equally, and when you apply the brakes to reduce they should all read the same. But I have seen sensors that when you are reducing and let's say you drop the speed to 7 mph, all of a sudden without any wheels locking up, one sensor will drop to 0 mph. That's when your ABS kicks in and the light will still not go on. In other words as long as all the sensors are registering any amount of speed, the light will not go on.
#10 Old 05-24-2013, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd try going with aftermarket drilled or slotted or drilled/slotted rotors and see if that helps curb the stuttering

2009 2.5s with Takeda sri, Stillen front strut brace, 6k HIDs, black matrix depo tails, glossy black roof vinyl, LED drls., Plastidipped oem bumper, BrakeMotive package
----
future mods: lowering springs, Racingline or Stillen rear sway bar, 4 channel amp, catback exhaust, 2JR pulley swap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > Nissan VERSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode