Need Router Suggestion - Page 3 - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 Old 09-26-2012, 03:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yeah i only have UP to 3mb im still not sure if i have the cox power boost or not

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 09-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Ctrl-F Yourself

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ouch! I did a speed test last night. Got 15 down and .9 up...hmmm

E-Racings Front|Tint|Tsudo Catback|Verde 18's|Woodgrain Dash Kit|Tinted Tails|Vinyl Behind Mirrors| Too Much to List!
DIY LED Tursignals In Mirrors|DIY Projector Retrofit|What You Need to Convert to OEM HID|Nissan Factory Service Manual Here|How To Check/Clear SES Codes HERE|Upgrading The Stock Halogen Headlights|Detailed Description of HID and Angel Eyes

BEST IN CLASS AT 2009 CANAL DAYS CAR SHOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeVQ35 View Post
Your car is like the ugly chick that all the guys look at in disbelief, but she tells all her girlfriends that guys are constantly checking her out.
#33 Old 09-26-2012, 01:06 PM
'09 2.5S | '12 370Z NISMO

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I had bought a Belkin N150 wireless router... set it all up with custom passwords for the admin account and to connect. Tried logging in about 5 minutes later with the admin password and it wouldn't accept the password. Reset it using a paper clip and went through and set the router up again. Did the same thing about 5 minutes after the second set up, except this time it locked me out completely - it wouldn't reset or let me log in. Returned it and bought a Netgear. Haven't had any issues - I've had a Netgear N300 (one of the original that was released) for a while now and I haven't had any problems.

2009 Altima 2.5S Sedan
[Takeda SRI] [Stillen Catback]
[BE by Breyton GTS-AV (18x8)] [General G-MAX 235/45/R18]
[Infinity Reference 3.5" & 6.5"] [Rockford Fosgate 6x9" & Amp]
2002 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD -- Sold
2013 Nissan Murano S AWD
2012 Nissan 370Z NISMO
#34 Old 11-20-2012, 04:08 PM
A d m i n

(Thread Starter)
OK so TWC (time warner) is telling me I must purchase one of the following:
. . . . is this true? . . .

Turbo, Extreme and Ultimate Service Plans

Vendor Model
Motorola SBG6580
Motorola SB6141
Netgear CMD31T
Motorola SB6121
Zoom 5341J

Lite, Basic and Standard Service Plans

Vendor Model
Motorola SBG6580
Motorola SB6141
Motorola SB5101
Motorola SB5101U
Motorola SBG901
Netgear CMD31T
Motorola SB6121
Zoom 5341J

Anyone know if I can purchase one not on their list - after I purchase they say I have to call them with the modem ID number (MAC) so it will work.

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5S SB
2002 Honda Odyssey EXL GG
#35 Old 11-20-2012, 11:07 PM

some motorola cable modems only support a max download speed like mine only supports up to 30mbps, so I would have to go with one similar to your turbo/extreme list.

Only time they need your modem ID is if there's something wrong with the line. The cable guy had to call in with my modem ID since it was working initially when I had signed up and within a week, it wouldn't connect. Turned out the rg6 cable just needed to be replaced

2009 2.5s with Takeda sri, Stillen front strut brace, 6k HIDs, black matrix depo tails, glossy black roof vinyl, LED drls., Plastidipped oem bumper, BrakeMotive package
----
future mods: lowering springs, Racingline or Stillen rear sway bar, 4 channel amp, catback exhaust, 2JR pulley swap
#36 Old 11-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Ctrl-F Yourself

Habs,

What TWC wants you to do is buy their all in one modem/router. If you can get another cable modem ONLY then you can run any router you please

E-Racings Front|Tint|Tsudo Catback|Verde 18's|Woodgrain Dash Kit|Tinted Tails|Vinyl Behind Mirrors| Too Much to List!
DIY LED Tursignals In Mirrors|DIY Projector Retrofit|What You Need to Convert to OEM HID|Nissan Factory Service Manual Here|How To Check/Clear SES Codes HERE|Upgrading The Stock Halogen Headlights|Detailed Description of HID and Angel Eyes

Quote:
Your car is like the ugly chick that all the guys look at in disbelief, but she tells all her girlfriends that guys are constantly checking her out.
#37 Old 11-20-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200hpAltima View Post
Habs,

What TWC wants you to do is buy their all in one modem/router. If you can get another cable modem ONLY then you can run any router you please
+1 to this...they just want more money from you. AT&T uses those crappy 2Wire dsl modem/gateways. Even with a firmware flash, those POS dsl modem/gateways would still lose connection or their wifi area would only be about 5 feet!

2009 2.5s with Takeda sri, Stillen front strut brace, 6k HIDs, black matrix depo tails, glossy black roof vinyl, LED drls., Plastidipped oem bumper, BrakeMotive package
----
future mods: lowering springs, Racingline or Stillen rear sway bar, 4 channel amp, catback exhaust, 2JR pulley swap
#38 Old 11-21-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs11 View Post
Anyone know if I can purchase one not on their list - after I purchase they say I have to call them with the modem ID number (MAC) so it will work.
you can. two things to consider first, what speed service you're subscribing and what speed modem caps at. you don't want to subscribe to 100mbit service and have a modem with 38mbit cap.

2007 infiniti fx35, 2008 mercury mariner hybrid
nissan factory shop manuals
#39 Old 11-21-2012, 12:50 PM
A d m i n

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Habs,

When I started this thread I was in the market for a new wireless router. Now that TWC is going to charge a lease fee for their modem I figured I would buy a new wireless router/modem combo.

Xeene - yea I woiuld get something that far exceeds what I currently in case speeds get faster on their own (ha ha) or I decide to upgrade to a faster package. Currently I have a basic/standard road runner package from TWC and it suits me fine.

#40 Old 11-21-2012, 02:14 PM
Ctrl-F Yourself

That works. For some odd reason, I am a huge fan of keeping the router and modem separate. But there is no reason for that madness. Just OCD I guess lol

Quote:
#41 Old 11-22-2012, 06:05 PM
LOL AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeene View Post
too many? do they know that single router can support 255 devices?
In theory. But the reality is that home-grade hardware will rarely not choke long before you get to that many IP addresses. It also largely depends on model, brand etc but if you are in the game of setting up a network and you know you're going to get close to a crapload of devices, better stick with enterprise-grade hardware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMA2.5SL View Post
lol, I love it when my internet isn't working so I call and the first thing they always ask is for me to power down the modem and all that BS and I am already tried all of that crap. You think I would just call you people for the fun of it?
You should work in a call center environment sometimes. It's not easy for the person on the other end, trust me. They have a script and they have to go through it. If they do not, they get nicked for it come review time.
Quote:
That works. For some odd reason, I am a huge fan of keeping the router and modem separate. But there is no reason for that madness. Just OCD I guess lol
Because it sucks replacing a perfectly good router just because the modem chipset crapped out?
Had this happen to me more than once.

My snail eats rice

synthetic oil drained every 500 miles cause I'm rich | uranium-core sparkplugs | McRae sticker 10hp edition | titanium piston springs | Motul syn blinker fluid | timing advanced 6* Celsius | SE-R tail lights | trunk mount intercooler | oil catchcan with exhaust dumpvalve (see smoke in sigpic) | CLICK to see my turbo

Last edited by fishbone; 11-22-2012 at 06:08 PM.
#42 Old 11-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Ctrl-F Yourself

^ That is more than true . Or I have my router shit the bed and my modem still work haha

Quote:
#43 Old 11-28-2012, 11:22 PM
A d m i n

(Thread Starter)
I am going to keep router and modem separate for now. A friend that works at TWC strongly suggested I use their modem due to updates they push out and the very likely event that I get one that works today and at some unknown point in the future will not work - unfortunately he indicated it happens a lot more than people would expect.

#44 Old 11-29-2012, 12:28 AM
Ctrl-F Yourself

^ I just went though this with TWC. They pushed a new firmware to my modem/router that came corrupted and bricked my modem/router for a day while they tried to sort it out. It's not sunshine and butterflies anywhere you go with this IMHO

Quote:
#45 Old 11-29-2012, 12:16 PM
A d m i n

(Thread Starter)
^ i never expect sunshine and butterflies - we live in CRAPCHESTER !! although during some very light snow yesterday the sun did come out - love sun and snow at the same time.

now when i get time i need to order a router online. . . . .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Entertainment Forums > OFF TOPIC !!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode