Need Router Suggestion - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 12:16 PM
A d m i n

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need Router Suggestion

All hey you tech geeks (I say that lovingly)

I want to replace my current wireless router because 1-2 times a month i need to unplug it and plug it back in for it to reestablish itsself. It's got to be 10+ years old - not really sure.

I do not need to download HD movies but I do accasionally stream a live sports broadcast (a few times a year).

Not sure it matters but I run the following from it:

1 hard wired old pc
1 laptop gets lots use
5 ipods
1 printer

Not a heavy user. I want whatever security is currently out there to be EASY to use - my current uses WEP.. i'm sure there is somethign even better now.

I like affordable stuff as wel!!

THanks in advance

2003 Nissan Altima 2.5S SB
2002 Honda Odyssey EXL GG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Why not just replace your modem and wireless router with a new modem with built in wireless. I just bought a Motorola SBG6500 cable modem, not sure if your using DSL or cable, and I love it! I have my main PC hard wired via ethernet cable, both Xbox 360's and both PS3's hard wired AND wireless...and of course my laptop wireless. Getting 25Mbps download speed and 3.4Mbps upload. Prior to this we had AT&T DSL. Sucks comparison wise because the DSAL was 3Mbps download speed and 1Mbps upload. Netflix and Hulu stream effortlessly now.

Wheels/Suspension: 5Zigen 19x8 Pro Racers-Falken F452 245/35/19 Tires-Eibach Sportline Springs
Visual: S5 Grille-20% Tint-M3 Window lip Spoiler-LED Cluster/Switches-TWM Weighted Shift Knob
Performance: C-man Headers-C-man 3" Y-Pipe-Magnaflow Exhaust-PNP'd Heads w/Ferra Valves-RevUp Oil Pump-Pulley-JWT C9 Cams-Haltech Platinum ECU-Fujita5 CAI-Weisco Pistons-ARP Head Studs
Audio: Kenwood DNX-9140-ZED Leviathan-Focal Speakers-Sound Deadened-XBox-270Amp Alt

Last edited by 4DZC; 09-21-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:43 PM
A d m i n

thaks 4d - i have a modem from time warner. i'm not really sure if it matters if i do not use theirs or not

Old 09-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Ctrl-F Yourself

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey Habs. Is the wireless router from time warner as well? I replace my wireless router/modem combo at least once a year. They have the shittiest equipment there.

If I were to buy a wireless router right now, I would probably buy ANY linksys. They have fantastic routers. I have a d-link that I used at college and I had to reset that about every 2 days. D-Links are okay. NetGear is really chincy.

I also would NOT switch to an all in one modem/router. We will never see the kinds of speeds that 4DRZ is seeing. I just doesn't exist here. It is my firm belief that you should have as many replaceable parts as possible between the wall and the computer. Makes diagnosis and replacement easier and cheaper.

Just my $.02

E-Racings Front|Tint|Tsudo Catback|Verde 18's|Woodgrain Dash Kit|Tinted Tails|Vinyl Behind Mirrors| Too Much to List!
DIY LED Tursignals In Mirrors|DIY Projector Retrofit|What You Need to Convert to OEM HID|Nissan Factory Service Manual Here|How To Check/Clear SES Codes HERE|Upgrading The Stock Halogen Headlights|Detailed Description of HID and Angel Eyes

BEST IN CLASS AT 2009 CANAL DAYS CAR SHOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeVQ35 View Post
Your car is like the ugly chick that all the guys look at in disbelief, but she tells all her girlfriends that guys are constantly checking her out.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:03 PM
A d m i n

the wirless router is my own - time warner provided the modem. once complained to RW abotu having to unplug allt he time and they trested and said it's my wirless and not there modem (which it could be).

also have printer issues 1 or 2 times a month and since it's wiurless i'm pretty sure my wireless router is just crap.

i can not stress enough i need easy!!!!

Old 09-21-2012, 02:55 PM
Shaving My Shoulders

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
At work we have ATT, they provided our DSL modem AND wireless router. At home we have Comcast, they have provided our cable modem, and wireless router (not to mention all the HDMI cables I want for my devices).

Work and home providers have done so inclusive of our service (no add-on). At home have 20Mb/s ethernet, and still get 15 or so wirelessly. Hell I just bought a new Smart TV, and it's on the other side of our home, on a different floor and we stream with no problem with the free router from Comcast.

Your provider should be able to supply some shit for you dude, give it a try.

|2005 3.5SE|HEAVILY MODDED |
Old 09-21-2012, 03:42 PM

i use NETGEAR Wireless-N Router WNR2000 at home. has similar to your usage: 1 wired htpc, 2 laptops, 1 wireless desktop, 1 wireless printer, 2 smartphones.

had it for about a year and have yet had to touch it since initial setup.

2007 infiniti fx35, 2008 mercury mariner hybrid
nissan factory shop manuals
Old 09-21-2012, 04:08 PM

I currently have Comcast and using their modem. I have a ll 3 services and am just keeping the internet. I bought my own modem to avoid the $7 charge. I have an Asus RT-N56U upstairs and using Etherent over Power Line adapter to connect my Asus RT-N16. So far the signal/speeds have been great. I am hooking up a hard drive to create an FTP. So I will have 4 computers, 2 tablets, 2 printers and my tv connected. If you like Linksys.

Buy Cisco Linksys Refurb E900 Wireless Router - Specials Free Shipping

Add code HSDISH5 for another 5% to make it an even better deal. Or here is another.

Wireless Daily Deal, 1 Sale A Day
Old 09-21-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueis300 View Post
I currently have Comcast and using their modem. I have a ll 3 services and am just keeping the internet. I bought my own modem to avoid the $7 charge. I have an Asus RT-N56U upstairs and using Etherent over Power Line adapter to connect my Asus RT-N16. So far the signal/speeds have been great. I am hooking up a hard drive to create an FTP. So I will have 4 computers, 2 tablets, 2 printers and my tv connected. If you like Linksys.

Buy Cisco Linksys Refurb E900 Wireless Router - Specials Free Shipping

Add code HSDISH5 for another 5% to make it an even better deal. Or here is another.

Wireless Daily Deal, 1 Sale A Day
Newegg.com - ASUS RT-N56U Wireless Router Dual Band N600 Multimedia Ultra Slim Gigabit 802.11a/b/g/n support USB Storage, Print and Media Server (top performance review at smallnetbuilder.com)

After trying 10 or so routers, this was the best one. Many actually wouldn't allow throughput as high as I subscribe to from my cable company (50Mbps). This one does. Had it for over a year with no problems.

Works like a champ, made by a great company with excellent customer service.

Best router since the wrt-54g (which I'm using as a repeater), imo.

Needing to reboot your router could very well be the modem or ISP's fault. When I used AT&T DSL, I always had the problem. I got around it by using a garden timer to reboot the modem daily when no one was home. I even had it to not reboot on my days off =P.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Wow! thats impressive Knowah! I just didnt want to spend for the faster speed. They offer as fast as 105Mbps, but for nearly $200.00/month, meh, i'll pass.

Wheels/Suspension: 5Zigen 19x8 Pro Racers-Falken F452 245/35/19 Tires-Eibach Sportline Springs
Visual: S5 Grille-20% Tint-M3 Window lip Spoiler-LED Cluster/Switches-TWM Weighted Shift Knob
Performance: C-man Headers-C-man 3" Y-Pipe-Magnaflow Exhaust-PNP'd Heads w/Ferra Valves-RevUp Oil Pump-Pulley-JWT C9 Cams-Haltech Platinum ECU-Fujita5 CAI-Weisco Pistons-ARP Head Studs
Audio: Kenwood DNX-9140-ZED Leviathan-Focal Speakers-Sound Deadened-XBox-270Amp Alt
Old 09-21-2012, 05:41 PM

ive always liked the Belkin routers ive bought. the one i have now is 5yrs old ZERO issues with it. and it looks nice. all black with blue lights

Old 09-21-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DZC View Post
Wow! thats impressive Knowah! I just didnt want to spend for the faster speed. They offer as fast as 105Mbps, but for nearly $200.00/month, meh, i'll pass.

50 fits me perfectly for the moment and it's the highest my company offers. When I move, I may look into U Verse or FiOS and see what speeds I can get for a decent price.

50 allows me to game without a hiccup while the gf is streaming netflix/gaming as well.

And I never have to worry about torrents dragging it down to the point of causing lag during gaming. On my DSL (I think it was 5 or 10 mbps) I would definitely have to cancel any downloads if I wanted to game online.

I wish they offered faster uplink as well, but it is what it is.

edit: the speed test in my sig on the right is actually the day I hooked up the suggested router. I forgot that I had my landline test in there =P.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowah View Post
50 fits me perfectly for the moment and it's the highest my company offers. When I move, I may look into U Verse or FiOS and see what speeds I can get for a decent price.

50 allows me to game without a hiccup while the gf is streaming netflix/gaming as well.

And I never have to worry about torrents dragging it down to the point of causing lag during gaming. On my DSL (I think it was 5 or 10 mbps) I would definitely have to cancel any downloads if I wanted to game online.

I wish they offered faster uplink as well, but it is what it is.

edit: the speed test in my sig on the right is actually the day I hooked up the suggested router. I forgot that I had my landline test in there =P.
Only internet options I really have is ATT with less than 6 meg down. Im gonna end up paying $62.99 for internet with Comcast 20 meg.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:10 PM
Common sense advocate

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I currently have a Belkin router and it's awesome. I would highly recommend it.

Based on personal experience, don't buy D-Link or Motorola. D-Link you'll be calling India for tech support every day to reconfigure it, or you will have to power cycle it every time you turn on your computer. The Motorola will only last about 2 years before it dies.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:34 PM
Ctrl-F Yourself

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
^ He speaks the truth about D-Link

E-Racings Front|Tint|Tsudo Catback|Verde 18's|Woodgrain Dash Kit|Tinted Tails|Vinyl Behind Mirrors| Too Much to List!
DIY LED Tursignals In Mirrors|DIY Projector Retrofit|What You Need to Convert to OEM HID|Nissan Factory Service Manual Here|How To Check/Clear SES Codes HERE|Upgrading The Stock Halogen Headlights|Detailed Description of HID and Angel Eyes

BEST IN CLASS AT 2009 CANAL DAYS CAR SHOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeVQ35 View Post
Your car is like the ugly chick that all the guys look at in disbelief, but she tells all her girlfriends that guys are constantly checking her out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Entertainment Forums > OFF TOPIC !!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode