Coolant Additives - Page 2 - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 11:53 PM
LOL AWD

290 is cooking ATF at that point.
Get a tranny cooler and possibly switch to a high quality CVT-approved synthetic.

synthetic oil drained every 500 miles cause I'm rich | uranium-core sparkplugs | McRae sticker 10hp edition | titanium piston springs | Motul syn blinker fluid | timing advanced 6* Celsius | SE-R tail lights | trunk mount intercooler | oil catchcan with exhaust dumpvalve (see smoke in sigpic) | CLICK to see my turbo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 11:59 PM

my car actually does have its own cvt fluid cooler unlike the altima. thats why im concerned. its mounted in front the radiator on the bumper cover side so i dont see why its not working. but the monkeys at nissan cant do anything without the corporate guy's assessment and approval.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:20 AM
LOL AWD

What brand/size cooled do you have?
Old 11-13-2012, 12:21 AM

not sure it came with the car. ill try to take a look tomorrow when i do my springs
Old 11-13-2012, 12:25 AM
LOL AWD

Also worth mentioning tranny coolers obviously don't work too well in stop-go traffic, just like any other radiator.
The reason I suggested an aftermarket synthetic fluid is two-fold: synthetic holds up better and also sheds heat easier/faster.

How did you measure the ATF temp?
And I wanted to clarify, you have an aftermarket ATF cooler installed?

Last edited by fishbone; 11-13-2012 at 02:29 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:12 AM

My Bullydog is a monitor gauge too. i have the engine coolant, trans temp and a few other things currently being monitored. i can pick from like a dozen different things total to monitor. even the battery voltage and MAF

and to be clear the SER comes from the factory with a trans cooler unlike the altima i had. the altimas cvt, like most traditional auto transmissions, ran a line to the bottom of the radiator

outside temp was 54degrees
this is idling at my gfs house 25 miles away from my house. it was slowly rising as i was waiting. it hit this peak by the time she got in the car

and as soon as i put it in D and was driving off.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:00 AM
LOL AWD

Couple points. There are at least two trans sensors. One in the pan and the other in the torque converter output. The one in the pan is usually steady temp and does not variate a lot. The one in the torque converter output will always be higher and will usually vary a lot.
I have a suspicion the BD is reporting a bad reading OR reading the converter output ... useless.
Go to the dealer and have them hook up their diagnostic tool so at least you know you are not working with faulty data.
I mean Jesus Christ 275 is simply atrocious idling in a cool evening and with a trans cooler. In fact I am inclined to say impossible. I've run my LGT hard in 90 degree weather and the ATF temp never even kissed 220*F
The SER Altima shares a fairly similar auto trans.
Also, if that intake temp reading is accurate as well ... I will never again complain about mine

Last edited by fishbone; 11-13-2012 at 04:16 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:16 AM

yeah im looking at it like this. even if BD is off/inaccurate. it cant be THAT off. its pretty spot-on on everything else it monitors.

there are three things that are all related and making believe my CVT is overheating.

1. when it reaches atleast 240 and up the car runs like shit. the cvt has a fail safe mode that kicks in if it detects its temp is going too high.
2. ive smelled burning fluid several times
3.when i first start up the car its pretty close to the outside air temp and then it takes awhile to get up to these extreme temps
Old 11-13-2012, 04:32 AM
LOL AWD

Then it's likely monitoring the temp at converter output and not the pan. If the pan gets to those temps you are disintegrating clutches. Go with a bigger cooler and switch to synthetic fluid. 260s while not ideal, not unheard of at converter output. You'd need to know what the pan temp is. Should be close to coolant temp. Normal operating range is 160-180 degrees. It's simply impossible for the pan temps to be that high.
Everything else you mentioned (burnt smell) is cause of concern.

Last edited by fishbone; 11-13-2012 at 04:34 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:40 AM

on a side note too, even though it was 50+degrees outside the coolant got up to almost 210F. does that seem high to you? it is a big engine in a little engine bay
Old 11-13-2012, 01:29 PM
LOL AWD

It depends how you drove before you started idling. If you drove hard its normal as the coolant would be drawing away engine heat and the car not being in motion, temps would rise a bit
Old 11-14-2012, 12:59 AM

actually on that trip out to get her i drove pretty normal. which i dont normally do haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Entertainment Forums > OFF TOPIC !!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.