Coolant Additives - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 02:58 AM

Thumbs up Coolant Additives

if you have used in the past or are currently using one, which one and how did you like it?

Im looking at these three so far, in this order.

DEI Radiator Relief

Royal Purple Purple Ice

Redline Water Wetter

the DEI got good reviews and beat out the Redline one in a turbo mags comparison. they didnt have the purple ice in their comparo though. I can get all locally with the Purple Ice being the most expensive

a few more on the market are

Lucas Oil Super Coolant

Hy-per Lube Super Coolant

Flex Lites Flex-A-Chill

Mishimotos Liquid Chill

while all these claim anywhere from UP to 20 - 30 degrees cooling ability i'll be happy with atleast 10-15 degrees.

this one claims up to 40!
ProBlend

Old 11-09-2012, 03:21 AM

I use the AMSOIL coolant additive, opperating temp has been below normal/middle of guage. car also warms up faster which I like !

About those additives, I can almost guaranty those claims (even if accurate which I doubt) are with water, not coolant. There is a difference and you wont get those numbers on your car! They could also damage the engine in the long term with their ingredients.

2009 Altima coupe 2.5 6spd; my babe!

Amsoil synthetics, LED lights, illuminated kickplates, WC Lathewerks shift knob, Racing Line STS/TB kit/strut bar/RSB/ front & rear end links/ first 4th gen 2.5 with racing Line springs, first 4th gen to swap 7th gen maxima brakes (on 16" wheels).
-Plans for now/future:restored old school wheels in progress/ quad projector retrofit in progress.

Best 1/4 mile; 15.598@88.3MPH factory stock to the tires.

DD/work ride; 2000 Nissan Xterra 4WD V6 5spd
-Damn thing has a taste for blood and all my time, bringing him back to life= taking my money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 04:30 AM
Vision Quest

Thumbs up

So should we avoid these if it will damage the engine? I'm all about an additive, somebody enlighten us with some knowledge......
Old 11-09-2012, 04:33 AM

Garage
I've tried Royalpurple in my old 1986 Camry I think. Didn't make a difference. Ended up replacing thermostat after.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:50 AM

i think these things work best with only water. the greatest results reviewers have had are with the water only. with the 50/50 blend and the additive it was very minimal difference maybe around 5 degrees cooler. im still willing to try one of these out though. with the hot ass summers here in vegas every degree counts!
Old 11-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Not on a power trip

I tried the Redline Water Wetter in my 64.5 Mustang. I didn't really notice a difference. But it wouldn't be fair of me to blame it on the product. My Mustang always runs hot, mostly because it has about 11:1 compression. Plus the radiator is probably too small for my engine setup, and I can't seem to find a fan shroud that fits properly. What I REALLY need is a larger radiator and a proper fan shroud, and / or electric fan(s), and maybe a lower temp thermostat.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:20 PM
Spec R

Garage
i was just about to purchase some Redline Water Wetter soon. not to long ago, i had checked the Amsoil website for coolant additives, since i use their motor oil, but didn't see it. now i see it is under maintenance, and not cooling

i read great things about the Redline product, but Amsoil out performs it. i'll be getting some Amsoil Coolant Boost now

Amsoil is the shiznit!

Shout out to NissanClub for the knowledge
proud member of "Got balls to rock the right rim size" Club!

Last edited by Jae413; 11-09-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 702L32 View Post
i think these things work best with only water. the greatest results reviewers have had are with the water only. with the 50/50 blend and the additive it was very minimal difference maybe around 5 degrees cooler. im still willing to try one of these out though. with the hot ass summers here in vegas every degree counts!
Yah, but water is real bad on corrosion for our engines, as well as the fact the car will run hotter then with coolant. dont run straight water, thats my suggestion if ur serious bout it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae413 View Post
i was just about to purchase some Redline Water Wetter soon. not to long ago, i had checked the Amsoil website for coolant additives, since i use their motor oil, but didn't see it. now i see it is under maintenance, and not cooling

i read great things about the Redline product, but Amsoil out performs it. i'll be getting some Amsoil Coolant Boost now

Amsoil is the shiznit!
Lol, Damn right !! I love their stuff and consider them the best for some fluids. I dont burn a drop of oil period!!
Old 11-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Anti-Elitist

I used water wetter in my old 79 Ford F-100 when it was overheating. It actually helped out 10F or so. Ultimately didn't fix my problem as I needed a larger radiator and proper fan.

2010 Infiniti G37 - Sport | Premium | Navigation
Old 11-11-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade01 View Post
Yah, but water is real bad on corrosion for our engines, as well as the fact the car will run hotter then with coolant. dont run straight water, thats my suggestion if ur serious bout it..
oh no intention of running straight water. im just mentioning that the tests i read with the highest drop in temps, didnt use any glycol/antifreeze in the mix. just straight water and the additive.

running straight water or water with like the water wetter is required on race tracks. besides the fact that water transfers heat better, im thinking that its also a safety precaution. if u had the antifreeze in and you bust a hose or whatever and that shit spills all over the track, it may cause people to crash more then theres the toxicity factor of it contaminating the environment

but thats how these additives work by reducing the surface tension of the water allowing it to transfer that heat better. the anitifreeze is mainly for not having the water turn into ice in your motor during the winter, along with the rust/corrosion protection it provides . it also raises the boiling point of the water in the system and doesnt make the car run "cooler" just not overheat as easy
Old 11-11-2012, 08:47 PM
LOL AWD

I use ALL of the one listed by op.

The harder to find on shelves and more expensive, the better.

synthetic oil drained every 500 miles cause I'm rich | uranium-core sparkplugs | McRae sticker 10hp edition | titanium piston springs | Motul syn blinker fluid | timing advanced 6* Celsius | SE-R tail lights | trunk mount intercooler | oil catchcan with exhaust dumpvalve (see smoke in sigpic) | CLICK to see my turbo
Old 11-11-2012, 08:53 PM

so they all work with the coolant already in your radiator??

2009 2.5s with Takeda sri, Stillen front strut brace, 6k HIDs, black matrix depo tails, glossy black roof vinyl, LED drls., Plastidipped oem bumper, BrakeMotive package
----
future mods: lowering springs, Racingline or Stillen rear sway bar, 4 channel amp, catback exhaust, 2JR pulley swap
Old 11-12-2012, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbone View Post
I use ALL of the one listed by op.

The harder to find on shelves and more expensive, the better.
did you have a favorite or preference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguru1360 View Post
so they all work with the coolant already in your radiator??
yes they all will work with your current coolant blend. just not as much as with just straight water according to test results ive seen. cant hurt for sure
Old 11-12-2012, 07:05 PM
LOL AWD

I apologize, I was being sarcastic, as in, I am using ALL of them at the same time
All of those products will do what they claim. Whether or not they are needed is a different matter. Plain old coolant/water mix will do fine. Oil cool is not needed since oils have their own additives and if you have to add it to keep the oil cool, it's a band aid solution to a bigger problem that if left unresolved will probably kill an engine.
Since you are in Vegas and oil/coolant temps are a concern, try out what you have available and see what it does. For oil I can almost guarantee that if you want lower temps you will need an oil cooler.

Last edited by fishbone; 11-12-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:42 PM

my biggest problem right now is that my CVT is overheating. it gets up to 290F. the service manager at nissan is dodging me and not calling me back to meet up with their corporate tech. he actually had the nerve to tell me that thats normal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Entertainment Forums > OFF TOPIC !!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.