How To Not Get Ripped Off - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 08-06-2003, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How To Not Get Ripped Off

I know this probably doesn't belong here, but I'm putting here, and hoping the mod of this forum will make it a sticky. I've been seeing FAR TOO MANY threads about people being jacked lately and it bothers me. I hate theifs. If you are a theif, I hope someone close to you dies a slow painful death from cancer or some shit, you deserve the suffering.

It's fairly easy to cover yourself and prevent yourself from being ripped off when buying something from a person you don't know. There are a few ways to go about this. Here are some don'ts. Don't pay with a personal check. Don't pay with paypal.

You can suggest doing COD which doesn't really cost the seller anything, but may cost the buyer a bit more, but you're paying a bit more for peace of mind, which is a good thing.

If COD is out, go to a post office, purchase a U.S. Postal Service issued money order. Send the money order So it needs to be signed for, AND pay extra for the return receipt. This way, when the postal worker delivers the mail, and it is signed for, something is sent back to you letting you know the person has signed for the money order.

Now you've got some ammo. You've got the receipt for a U.S. Postal Service money order AND the return receipt saying the person signed to accept the letter. If the person cashes that money order and doesn't follow through with their end, you now have the U.S. Postal Service on your side, and they don't play when it comes to Mail Fraud, FELONY mail fraud, FEDERAL felony mail fraud.

Take a little time, spend a little bit more time and money up front, and on the off chance you ARE ripped off, you'll have a lot more ammo on your side, and the fraud department of the U.S. Postal Service.

I hardly ever buy things from people online because I'm scared some little snot nosed 17 year old **** is going to take my money, but when I do, I do it via the method I just described and I've yet to be ripped off because I make the seller aware of the fact that I've built said ammo against him and he will most likely face felony (federal) mail fraud charges if I am scammed. I have a good lawyer too which helps but that's a different story all together.

Sincerly,
Dr Philip M. Blunts.

the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist
The Following User Says Thank You to darvocet For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-06-2003, 03:31 PM
Girl-Moderator

I'd have to say that paying by Paypal has actually been the safest way for us to pay if you are able to put ur CC or your debit card on as the method of payment. The reason for this is that we have been ripped off 2x and have been reimbursed by Bank of America 2x for the money we lost. Once for almost $300 and once for over $500. The issuer of the car backs up your transaction which in this case was Bank of America who issued our credit card and debit cards both. All it took was a call to their fraud department and they credited us back the money in the same day. But we agress with just about everything else Mr. Blunts has stated. And also, do a little more research, and if it's sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

AltimaVixen
JE Kustom Autostyles
post #3 of 5 Old 08-06-2003, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I'm just against paypal because I personally know people who had their accounts emptied and paypal did not do shit to help. I closed my account the day I heard this and told all of my friends to do the same. Not all credit card companies/banks work with their customers as well as Bank of America either, I think they are fairly well known for their fraud protection. If you were to use a check card from podunk bank in sasatoon, nebraska or some shit, they probably won't be so up front with the help....

the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

post #4 of 5 Old 08-08-2003, 05:46 PM

Paypal is officially "an eBay company" now, which implies I suppose that they are owned or are sister companies.

Being tied to a company with the prowess as eBay makes me a little more at ease about using them.

Ive had over 100 transactions on paypal and never had a problem. And as soon as money gets in there, I immediately initiate the withdrawal to my bank. There is never money left in paypal.

"This is now....how can I change tomorrow, if I can't change today!? If I control myself, I control my destiny." -Hatebreed
post #5 of 5 Old 08-14-2003, 01:45 AM
Me-14.61 - Stang-15.02

Escrow.com if you are dealing with large amounts of money. It's a little pricey but the only way to go. COD is great also.

On a $2000 transaction it costs $62. It's a bit of money but well worth it for the protection.

I have paypal and have many transactions on it without any troubles.

Also have separate VISA card with a low limit, specifically for internet transactions. My bank thought it was a fantastic idea.

The true measure of life is not how many people we know when we die,
but how many people have been touched by us

Peace my friends
Brad

2003 Alty 3.5 SE 5spd
Berk Technology Intake
Nismo Short Throw Shifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Marketplace > Vendor Reviews and Feedback

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode