The Nissan Club banner

2006 Altima 2.5s 4spd Auto question

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  blue-angel9 
#1 ·
Test drove a 2006 Altima yesterday, took it up to 60-65, everything was solid, runs well, shifts well. On the way home, I noticed something I didn't notice on the test drive and want to make sure that this is actually suppose to be happening. When I let off the gas pedal, it feels like a manual car, it slows quickly almost like an engine brake. Is this normal or did I miss this on the test drive and the car has a problem? Shift to neutral and it coasts fine, no brakes are dragging, it's the drive train slowing it down, I can hear the engine still engaged. Any feedback would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I had the same thing happen to me when I recently bought my 06 2.5s.
I assumed engine braking because, for one thing the car runs and drives clean no other indicative issues. As well as, it acts exactly how prior cars I've owned operate under engine brake with release of throttle but looked around a bit.

https://forums.nicoclub.com/cvt-transmission-engine-braking-mode-t479637.html
"Anyway, the dealer calls back and mentions that the CVT has a dealer-tweakable mode for 'engine braking' which they can turn off (turning the car into a coaster rather than doing engine braking when you get out of the throttle). Apparently the default is to have 'engine braking' mode on. So we're going to turn it off and see how it feels after..."

CVT or automatic it's most likely engine braking assisting in deceleration.

#3 ·
Thanks, I assumed it was part of the system and just having someone say, "yep, mine does it too" makes me believe it is behaving as designed, as like yours, everything else runs perfectly. Thanks for the reply, though I don't think we have a CVT type trans in this year car, think they came in the '07, regardless, my mind is at ease, thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.