2014 Altima 2.5 steering correction - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-12-2019, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2014 Altima 2.5 steering correction

Just wondering if Nissan has ever corrected or has a solution for the wandering steering problem. I am making corrections every 30 feet to keep the car going straight in the lane with it being worse at highways speeds.

Purchased at 19K miles n now has 53K. I am on 3rd set of tires as i was guessing it was tires after sm internet research. I have reduced air in tires to 33psi. I have had 3 alignments by independent shops with 2 providing rechecks but still within spec. All suspensioncomponents are solid and tight.

I have had friends who drove behind me ask if i was drunk or texting n driving due to amount of side to side movement in my lane. I feel fatigued fighting to keep the Altima in its lane after 30 minutes of driving.

Any real response, software update, TSB from Nissan? Any DIY fixes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-12-2019, 02:49 AM
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Not normal, possibly dangerous. Might be worth a trip to a dealer for diagnosis.

Nissan OEM HID, Morimoto bulbs/harness, RacingLine Y-pipe, Strut Brace, Stillen Swaybar, ETI LED Fogs,
BBK: PowerStop Powder Coated Calipers: M45 Front/Stock Rears w/StopTech slotted sport rotors
BOSE Headunit w/USB & BT (2012 update), Dunlop Signature HP (summer) / Blizzak WS80 (winter)

Altima FSMs 94-09 Useful posts: Bose Upgrade / Alternator / Bad Ground / Rear Brakes / TPMS Reset /
/ Spurious ABS / Audio Power / ABS Diag / Steering Lock / Lower VQ rad hose / VQ Belt Squeak /
/ Brake Job / RA 5% Discount
post #3 of 10 Old 04-12-2019, 03:15 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I had a '13 Altima and now a '16 altima.

Absolutely no problem with steering with either vehicle.

post #4 of 10 Old 04-12-2019, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
The car either has loose parts or bad alignment or both. Don't care what the shops say. No surprise the common alignment shop cannot find out why but super easy with 5 minutes training. Which is an indicator of how well trained they are to begin with.

No software can fix that. Likely the rack has nothing wrong either.

Last edited by amc49; 04-12-2019 at 08:31 AM.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-12-2019, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkmgr View Post
Just wondering if Nissan has ever corrected or has a solution for the wandering steering problem. I am making corrections every 30 feet to keep the car going straight in the lane with it being worse at highways speeds.

Purchased at 19K miles n now has 53K. I am on 3rd set of tires as i was guessing it was tires after sm internet research. I have reduced air in tires to 33psi. I have had 3 alignments by independent shops with 2 providing rechecks but still within spec. All suspensioncomponents are solid and tight.

I have had friends who drove behind me ask if i was drunk or texting n driving due to amount of side to side movement in my lane. I feel fatigued fighting to keep the Altima in its lane after 30 minutes of driving.

Any real response, software update, TSB from Nissan? Any DIY fixes?
My 2015 2.5S requires far more steering input than it should, as well. It has been like that since new. I don't consider it dangerous, just aggravating. I don't intend to spend any time or money to address it. Just another reason to not like this purchase very much.
Gerald
post #6 of 10 Old 04-12-2019, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoGM View Post
My 2015 2.5S requires far more steering input than it should, as well. It has been like that since new. I don't consider it dangerous, just aggravating. I don't intend to spend any time or money to address it. Just another reason to not like this purchase very much.
Gerald
Why didn't you have it corrected when new? Unreal!!!
post #7 of 10 Old 04-12-2019, 10:52 PM

There's simply no reason to have to drive a new car like that. But of course the people working on it must be competent enough to do so and the problem, even at the dealer level now.

The Rule of McDonald's now is in full force.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-13-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
The Rule of McDonald's now is in full force.
Ok, so not being familiar...I looked it up...I assume this is NOT what you were referring to

McDonald's rule [mik-donŽaldz]
the length in centimeters of the abdominal contour from the upper margin of the pubic symphysis to the fundus of the uterus, divided by 3.5, gives the duration of pregnancy in lunar months; applicable only after the sixth month of pregnancy.

Nissan OEM HID, Morimoto bulbs/harness, RacingLine Y-pipe, Strut Brace, Stillen Swaybar, ETI LED Fogs,
BBK: PowerStop Powder Coated Calipers: M45 Front/Stock Rears w/StopTech slotted sport rotors
BOSE Headunit w/USB & BT (2012 update), Dunlop Signature HP (summer) / Blizzak WS80 (winter)

Altima FSMs 94-09 Useful posts: Bose Upgrade / Alternator / Bad Ground / Rear Brakes / TPMS Reset /
/ Spurious ABS / Audio Power / ABS Diag / Steering Lock / Lower VQ rad hose / VQ Belt Squeak /
post #9 of 10 Old 04-14-2019, 06:55 AM

Nope, a local myth here that replaced the Peter Principle, the latter states that one can only go as far upward in job climbing until that person's incompetence rather than competence gets in the way enough to stop him from going further.

Nowadays we have such rampant incompetence everywhere because that rule has morphed into something else much worse. Rule of McDonald's is simple and thus......once the people who could not make a McDee 1/4 pounder the same way correctly 10 times in a row then get older to work their ways upward, they would wreck major havoc on the world due to the incompetence now going higher up deep into management than it ever was allowed to before.

Why the change? It does no good to fire the incompetents, the likelihood is that the replacement will be even worse. You won't be able to fire the higher up bosses either as their replacements will likely be worse as well. Employee improvement processes have pretty much broken down in this country beginning with the schools. You can't even pay them to get better.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-14-2019, 04:20 PM

^^ Ah, gotcha! Local expression here is "Promoted to their level of incompetence"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2013-2018 NISSAN ALTIMA Forum > 2013-2018 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode