The Nissan Club banner

Replacing stock headlamps with LEDs..possible??

17K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  ziddak 
#1 · (Edited)
Can I replace both stock headlamp bulbs (high and low) with LED lights? If so, are these both H11 bulbs?

I haven't seen this yet.

#24 ·
Jumping back in the thread a bit, but I doubt these will fit in the passenger side high beam location. Space is very tight even with a standard bulb, don't think the LED would fit. Should be fine everywhere else.

#3 ·
I would wait a couple of years to switch over to LEDs... they will get better for headlights.
For now get some cheap HIDs. They will be brighter and cheaper (DDM tuning is like $40?)
4500-5000K.

Or you can go all out and spend 150-170 dollars on TRS.

Reactions: westly197
#4 ·
LED/Bulb Replacement Guide

Door Panel (Step Lights): #194
GloveBox: #74
Below Radio (USB Light): #74
Shifter Light: #74
Reverse lights: #921 (#194 will also work)
Trunk Light: #194
License plate: #194
Brake light bulb: #74 43
Back Seat Courtesy Lights: #194
High Beam Head lights: H9
HID Low Beam: H11
HID Fog Lights: H11

#5 ·
I swapped out my low beams for 6th gen JDM ASTAR (2800 lumens per side) and they are noticeably better than stock. Not as good as an HID setup, but they are definitely an upgrade over the stock bulbs.

I also installed some XML2 LED fog light bulbs from Diode Dynamics (1410 lumens per side). These actually made the most improvement because they widened the lighted field of vision directly in front of the car dramatically over the stock halogen fog light bulbs. This picture makes them look even brighter than the low beams but its the reflection of light from the ground.

Will upgrade again as LED technology continues to improve, but I currently have almost 10k miles on these with no issues at all.

#6 ·
I swapped out my low beams for 6th gen JDM ASTAR (2800 lumens per side) and they are noticeably better than stock.

Will upgrade again as LED technology continues to improve, but I currently have almost 10k miles on these with no issues at all.
Looks like the ASTAR design uses fans for cooling, very interested to know if you see salt slush in the winter or not--or your thoughts on the longevity of the little electric fans on the *ss end of the bulbs. I'm waiting for a pair of 4000 lumen passively cooled H11's to show for my fogs. Will post when I get them.

#8 ·
#11 ·
They have positioned the LED elements at the same focal point as the halogen filaments. Some have quartz tubes to further scatter the light. Not full 360' emission like a filament, but far far better than putting D2S HIDs in a reflector assembly.

#13 ·
Now you have me confused. You stated that you agree with what d0ugmac said about LEDs having the same focal point of halogens (news to me) and thus being a better choice for reflector style headlights than just putting in an HID bulb with we all now has a different focal point.

But you follow that up by saying that the LEDs work better in projectors than in a reflector (which would imply that their focal point is more on par with an HID bulb, and not suitable for Halogen designed housing.

Or am I misinterpreting something?

#14 ·
Point is, they are still a stronger 'point source' of light than a filament is, and so the reflector design is reflecting a smaller, denser bright spot than it would with an equivalent halogen filament. If you look at the reflector design, it's not a simple parabolic, it's many smaller segments of parabolae, which create many 'copies' of a bright spot surrounded by 'darker areas'--hence the hotspots, which are of course different than glare.

#15 ·
Thanks, Doug. Beat me to it.

@MRR, LED's don't have the same focal point as Halogens, or HIDs for that matter, but they can be made to generate light in a more similar pattern to Halogens than HIDs. Pics may help:

Halogen - left, HID - right (sorry for the Spanish)

LED - similar to mine, but mine are side-by-side high-power LED without the third on the bottom.

#16 ·
Oh , your new setup BP !

Reactions: BPuff57
#17 ·
maybe these will help explain

#20 ·
Pics of the 'rug' setup... Still not sure what to do the supplied rubber boots...will check in a week and if they fall off, will remove. Figure at least this way, they get some protection from crap spraying up. I ran the lights for 5 mins and the back caps were warm, but nowhere near burning hot.

#21 ·
I ended up using the boots included in my kit to seal my projector retrofit. LOL! It's not perfect, but it works.

I learned today that my fogs need to be re-aimed... I really need to install some quick-release bumper clamps... This is getting out of hand. I think I've had the front fascia off over 10 times this year.

#22 ·
LOL...I'm up to 5 times now myself between wrong bulbs, wrong harness connector, adding fogs and HID protection... Shocking how little is actually holding that entire bumper shroud on anyways!

Alright...took a night shot of those $60 Chi-Bay 4000LM 6000K LED H11's and the OEM HID assy's with Morimoto D2R's in 'em

#25 ·
Update: well my LED fogs are still powering their way through their 3rd nasty salty winter since installation. Zero issues so far.

Very happy with this mod for safety contribution, look and longevity.

#26 ·
Update: well my LED fogs are still powering their way through their 3rd nasty salty winter since installation. Zero issues so far.
Lucky. My Spyder LED fogs started flickering after about a month. Two years later and half the array for each fog light is now out with a few 3-led sections still flickering in each. Still better than not having DRL, though, and I'm glad I put them in and rewired for DRL, but I look forward to being able to get a different set.

#27 ·
Just spend the extra money and get nice Hids, leds give off weird pattern in projectors. Mine are 150 a set but come with a 3 year warranty and have amazing customer service. They lasted me the full 3 years but i called them like a month before my warranty expired and said my lights lost some of there blueish tint, they asked for a pciture and after i sent the pictures they sent me 4 new lights for free.. i would buy them again if they go out... btw theyre called xenondepot xtreme 55watt hid kit 6500k. also i run them all day and night

#28 ·
good update.

I currently have 9005/6 OP7 or Optic 7 LEDs for my fog lights. They, the leds, are about 3-4 years old and still shines.
Thinking about getting full led fog lights in the future. The one I have don't have the projector lens and the range is alright. Could be better.

I gotta take some pictures

#29 ·
good update.

I currently have 9005/6 OP7 or Optic 7 LEDs for my fog lights. They, the leds, are about 3-4 years old and still shines.
Thinking about getting full led fog lights in the future. The one I have don't have the projector lens and the range is alright. Could be better.

I gotta take some pictures
It's 2019. Try Hikari Ultra led for low beam. They are amazing. Better cut off than halogen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.