CEL codes with turbo? - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 09-30-2013, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
CEL codes with turbo?

I am just wondering if I will get a cel when I end up installing my turbo. I am planning on adding a egr bung to the manifold and keeping all the emissions equipment and having both 02 sensors hooked up. I have a header right now with a highflow cat and have managed to beat the cel so I can get it etested. Any other codes that might pop up after boost?

current: 1987 Totoya Supra Turbo (slammed, 2JZGE VVTI swap-T67 turbo, custom front intake manifold Mega squirt project making good progress but still a long way to go!

1993 Nissan 240sx se: Fresh and clean RB20DET swap, Rb25s2 turbo upgrade, FMIC, 3" exhaust, Blown headgasket doh!

2000 altima gxe auto tragic with 99 gle interior stillen 4-1 header hotshot cold air intake diy auto tune 55 shot 240sx 5 spoke polished wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-30-2013, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Garage
what are you going to use to tune the car?

PM me for Overlay or Projector Retrofits

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIZAMAN View Post
People who defend CVT are like people with ugly kids - they have no choice but to love them.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-30-2013, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
nothing at first since it is a 2000 ecu and no one can chip it. I plan on stepping down to the 96 obd2. but for the first bit there will be no tune. Ignition timing set to 16 degrees bkre7 plugs gaped to 0.35 and looking into a rising rate fmu. Only plan on running 6-7 psi with out the tune. if the engine blows i don't care they're a dime a dozen here.

current: 1987 Totoya Supra Turbo (slammed, 2JZGE VVTI swap-T67 turbo, custom front intake manifold Mega squirt project making good progress but still a long way to go!

1993 Nissan 240sx se: Fresh and clean RB20DET swap, Rb25s2 turbo upgrade, FMIC, 3" exhaust, Blown headgasket doh!

2000 altima gxe auto tragic with 99 gle interior stillen 4-1 header hotshot cold air intake diy auto tune 55 shot 240sx 5 spoke polished wheels

post #4 of 17 Old 09-30-2013, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
if you are going to be running a turbo kit on a N/A car with no tune, CEL is the least of your problems. Plan on needing a new engine soon. I can't express how important it is to have a good tune done. I know you say you don't care if you blow the engine, but what is the point of doing the same work over and over again just to keep blowing shit up? Definition of insanity.

Quote:
People who defend CVT are like people with ugly kids - they have no choice but to love them.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-30-2013, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
that's all hear say I have witnessed my friend run a sr t25 on his old tired 1993 ka24de he has a rising fmu everything else is stock its been running for 2 years now and he just started drifting it at the beginning of summer no problems yet other then the heat rising after a few laps... its not a lot of work for me to change the engine and it would be cool to show everyone how long it can last So yes the check engine light is my only concern but not even right now i still have a year and a half till the next test I guess I could always keep the the header for a back up.

I understand it sounds stupid but the engine should at least last until the tune

post #6 of 17 Old 09-30-2013, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
do whatever you wish. Just giving you good advise. you can take it or leave it. the end result will be the same. the T25 is a very small turbo, so that's probably why the car is still running. I use to build these cars, I know their limits

Quote:
post #7 of 17 Old 10-05-2013, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
yep i appreciate the advise it is good advise i might be doing a 5 speed swap later on. Now that I have a better job I can afford to tune it a little, but will probably go with a piggyback. I will start a build thread in 2-3 weeks my isp is still ****ing me over so I can't come on here every day.

post #8 of 17 Old 10-15-2013, 03:08 AM
all blacked out

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You cant run a 2nd gen altly on a stock ecu
post #9 of 17 Old 10-15-2013, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I think he is doing it on a 240sx

Quote:
post #10 of 17 Old 01-05-2014, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwillrun View Post
You cant run a 2nd gen altly on a stock ecu
although my plans for boost are on hold since i got the nitrous kit now I don't agree with what you say. What's your reasoning? The car will still run with low boost I have driven/owned a 93 ka 240sx with a HUGE turbo and no tune it pulled like a beast.

post #11 of 17 Old 01-06-2014, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Altima ecu and 240 ecu are not the same. You would need to convert it to the obd1 system or run a standalone

Quote:
post #12 of 17 Old 01-07-2014, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
again I don't agree with that, Yes there are differences between obd1 and obd2 the main one is being able to chip the ecu. The 2nd gen ecu can still see boost not high boost but you can still get 200-230hp out of the stock ecu.

post #13 of 17 Old 01-07-2014, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
You don't have to agree with me. We have been dealing with this for years upon years of people turboing their 1st and 2nd gens. the OBDII ECU for some reason isn't very affective for tuning this car with boost. IMO, boosting this car just to say it is boosted, and only getting 200-230whp is a waste of a turbo setup. If you just do it properly the way I said, even on low boost, you can easily hit close to, if not over 300whp.

Quote:
post #14 of 17 Old 01-07-2014, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
see for some reason I just feel like keeping it automatic. If I can swap to a obd1 ecu and still keep the automatic I would go for it, most people tell me it wont work. Are all obd2 ecu's bad? what about the 96 obd2? I would like to keep it obd2 for emissions testing it would be a pain to swap back and forth every time it needs the etest

post #15 of 17 Old 01-07-2014, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
OBDII with these cars from 1st to 2nd gen are pretty much the same. You won't have any emission issues because you swapped to the OBDI harness under the hood and the ECU. The ECU has nothing to do with the transmission. That is completely separate. The OBDII cars have a couple extra sensors on the transmission than what is on the OBDI system, but I don't think it will affect anything. I had a 01 motor in my ole 94 that I swapped everything over to OBDI and the trans had I think 2 additional sensors that didn't get plugged in with ODB I conversion

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Technical and Specific Interest Nissan Discussion > Forced Induction Forum (Turbo, SC, Tuning)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode