LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-14-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
rough idle, virbration, runs hot after tune-up

Hi, hope someone can help.
I have a 1996 Nissan Altima 2.5L, about 70k miles.

After having it two years and about 12k miles later, I brought it to a mechanic for a tune-up, and to look into sluggish acceleration response, and delayed shifting under load,
The car ran well, idle was consistent at 750rpm, and so smooth I didnt even know the car was on.

I get it back and now it runs REALLY rough, car vibrates heavily, especially when in gear, shaking the steering wheel and mirrors to a blur. It sounds like a diesel, the idle rpm is inconsistent and searches, (900-750-500-700-1000-750-600 etc) especially when warm, in gear and stopped at a stop light... it runs much hotter than it did before I brought it in. (temp guage used to be at 1/4, now it sits at 1/2 and get hotter under heavy load.) if i shift into park, it drops almost to the point of stalling..450-500 rpms. I've noticed a slight high pitched sound when my foot is barely on the accelerator cruising at consistant speed. 25-30mph
no engine light, no codes. today I noticed that the idle will drop more when I turn on the headlights, or the air-conditioning.

at the tune-up:
-replaced spark plugs
-electronic fuel injection service with throttle body cleaning

I brought it back a week later, due to the worsened condition, vibration and additional heat.
They looked at it again...
"went through it, and couldnt find anything wrong with the engine, but the rear engine mounts needed to be replaced."
-replace the rear engine mounts.... get it back, the vibration is even worse, and the car still runs terrible.
I dont think the inconsistent idle would have anything to do with the engine mounts...vibration, maybe.
trying to figure out what happened during the tune-up, and what I can check to resolve it.

ideas or advise?
Thank

1996 Nissan Altima 2.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-14-2019, 06:49 PM
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Definitely got taken on the mounts...hey they were probably dead, but definitely not the cause.

My guess is they introduced a leak in the intake...that would cause the mix to run lean (which burns hotter) and make it go nuts from a smooth idle perspective.

Pay particular attention to the ribbed rubber snorkel between airbox and throttle body (check for loose clamps and cracks/tears). It's a pain if they buggered up the intake manifold gasket...often removed if doing TB cleaning.

If you fix it, you'll probably find your idle still runs high, if at least consistently...then you need to do the idle relearn procedure.

Nissan OEM HID, Morimoto bulbs/harness, RacingLine Y-pipe, Strut Brace, Stillen Swaybar, ETI LED Fogs,
BBK: PowerStop Powder Coated Calipers: M45 Front/Stock Rears w/StopTech slotted sport rotors
BOSE Headunit w/USB & BT (2012 update), Dunlop Signature HP (summer) / Blizzak WS80 (winter)

Altima FSMs 94-09 Useful posts: Bose Upgrade / Alternator / Bad Ground / Rear Brakes / TPMS Reset /
/ Spurious ABS / Audio Power / ABS Diag / Steering Lock / Lower VQ rad hose / VQ Belt Squeak /
/ Brake Job / RA 5% Discount
The Following User Says Thank You to d0ugmac1 For This Useful Post:
post #3 of 6 Old 05-14-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
thanks for your reply, I check when I get home.
I had a feeling that might be it.... sucking too inconsistently much air and running lean.
where might i find info on the the idle relearn procedure?

1996 Nissan Altima 2.5

post #4 of 6 Old 05-14-2019, 07:55 PM
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
search the forum, it's been posted a bunch or grab your FSM, EC section from my .sig below. I'm a bit rusty on 2001- models...

Is your throttle body electronic or cable operated (ie is the gas pedal drive-by-wire or not)? If cable...then idle is typically set with screws.

Nissan OEM HID, Morimoto bulbs/harness, RacingLine Y-pipe, Strut Brace, Stillen Swaybar, ETI LED Fogs,
BBK: PowerStop Powder Coated Calipers: M45 Front/Stock Rears w/StopTech slotted sport rotors
BOSE Headunit w/USB & BT (2012 update), Dunlop Signature HP (summer) / Blizzak WS80 (winter)

Altima FSMs 94-09 Useful posts: Bose Upgrade / Alternator / Bad Ground / Rear Brakes / TPMS Reset /
/ Spurious ABS / Audio Power / ABS Diag / Steering Lock / Lower VQ rad hose / VQ Belt Squeak /
/ Brake Job / RA 5% Discount

Last edited by d0ugmac1; 05-14-2019 at 08:00 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-15-2019, 03:40 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Vacuum leak likely as said. They may not have changed the gasket and simply reused it.

First step I would take is to never use those mechs over again, they should have caught the issues twice now.

Inconsistent idle means the engine is commonly missing and that definitely makes them shake more and any mounts changed if aftermarket ones often shake worse as the aftermarket cannot reproduce the quality of OEM mounts. A common issue for many brands, I have never seen an aftermarket mount work 100% acceptably yet on various cars of mine and I also sold hundreds of them to similar complaints.

The vast majority of any mount shake comes from the pass side mount on cars but the others can add to that.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-15-2019, 03:49 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Index of /FSM/Altima/1996

Go there and register/join for free and then the link to service manual for Altima, use 'ec.pdf' for the engine electronic control section to find idle relearn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode