2009 altima - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-29-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2009 altima

Just got an 09 altima used with 41k. Unfortunately totalled my 08 altima with 100k miles.
Here to get some clarifications on some minor issues i'm having with the 09 I just got.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-29-2019, 08:33 PM
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Should be pretty much the same animal...what's got you worried?

Nissan OEM HID, Morimoto bulbs/harness, RacingLine Y-pipe, Strut Brace, Stillen Swaybar, ETI LED Fogs,
BBK: PowerStop Powder Coated Calipers: M45 Front/Stock Rears w/StopTech slotted sport rotors
BOSE Headunit w/USB & BT (2012 update), Dunlop Signature HP (summer) / Blizzak WS80 (winter)

Altima FSMs 94-09 Useful posts: Bose Upgrade / Alternator / Bad Ground / Rear Brakes / TPMS Reset /
/ Spurious ABS / Audio Power / ABS Diag / Steering Lock / Lower VQ rad hose / VQ Belt Squeak /
/ Brake Job / RA 5% Discount
post #3 of 12 Old 04-30-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I had a few issues:
1) The trunk is leaking when it rains. I think theres a piece of sealing rubber/plastic on the left tail light that connects to the frame of the car/trunk. Looks like its missing on the left which is likely where the leak is coming from bc i saw rust stain directly below it on the carpet. This makes the trunk smell a little wet/moldy. I will take pics later to show. Is this plastic PART of the tail light or can i get it separately?

2) The lumbar support function isn't working in the car. Not sure why, likely electrical ?

3) Driver side rear window won't go back up when the drive pull the window button up via their controller

4) The car shakes a bit when braking from around 60+ MPH. I Read this is likely the rotors. I am just confused because the previous owner provided me a receipt that said the rotors were replaced in February.

#2 & 3 aren't huge, but the trunk leaking is a big issue obviously because it got the carpet and particle board cover both soaked and moldy smelling. Car shaking is also a concern.

Last edited by Samz465; 04-30-2019 at 06:42 PM. Reason: more info

post #4 of 12 Old 05-01-2019, 03:59 PM

Shaking likely stuck calipers.
Try resetting the auto up function. Push button to roll down window and hold down 3 more seconds after full down. Now pull up on switch and keep pulling up for 3s after window is full up. Now try the auto down and auto up functions.

Nissan OEM HID, Morimoto bulbs/harness, RacingLine Y-pipe, Strut Brace, Stillen Swaybar, ETI LED Fogs,
BBK: PowerStop Powder Coated Calipers: M45 Front/Stock Rears w/StopTech slotted sport rotors
BOSE Headunit w/USB & BT (2012 update), Dunlop Signature HP (summer) / Blizzak WS80 (winter)

Altima FSMs 94-09 Useful posts: Bose Upgrade / Alternator / Bad Ground / Rear Brakes / TPMS Reset /
/ Spurious ABS / Audio Power / ABS Diag / Steering Lock / Lower VQ rad hose / VQ Belt Squeak /
post #5 of 12 Old 05-02-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
RE The window, it is the rear passenger so to my understanding it isn't auto up/down for the back windows. The issue is that I will put the back window down from the driver side controller. Then when i try to pull it back up it doesn't budge. I need to pull it back up via the back window's direct controller, not the driver's 6 switch controller.

You don't think the shaking is from the rotors?
post #6 of 12 Old 05-10-2019, 04:33 PM

Ok, if the rear switch works but the drivers master control doesn't...then the master control is at fault an needs replacing (a common fault with these cars).

Of course the rotors are involved with the shaking, but given that they were recently new and arguably true, then where did the vibration come from? My thinking is uneven transfer of brake pad resin to the new surface of the rotor caused by sticky pins preventing full flat contact with the new pads and new rotors. Further, depending on what you bought, you may have been required to do a proper bedding in of the pads and rotors (basically heat them up enough in a short period that you transfer a good coating of resin to the rotor surfaces). Not doing this makes for patchy resin, or glazed pads, or other artefacts that may require you to redo it all again to fix.

post #7 of 12 Old 05-10-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for your help, i will have to reach out to the dealer about the brakes/rotors i guess since they just replaced them.
The other question I had was that when I change the temp dial from cold to hot (60 etc to 90 etc) and vice versa there is a loud vibration type noise that lasts about 4-6 seconds coming from the bottom of my steering wheel almost near the brake pedal/gas area.
Any thoughts on what this could be? Heat and AC both work fine. Just an unusual sound like something transitioning a vent or something and maybe something is stuck or an old part etc.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-10-2019, 05:14 PM

sounds like one of the mode doors inside the hvac unit is having issues....identifying it while it still makes the noise will be easier than once it stops functioning altogether. You can disconnect each motor/actuator one at a time until you find the culprit. My guess would be the 'recycle/fresh' door motor.

post #9 of 12 Old 05-10-2019, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Do you have a link of where I can purchase one of these, or what the part name is so I can purchase and bring to my mechanic to swap out?
Thank you.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-10-2019, 07:24 PM

There are multiple doors and many motors to control all of that. You need to identify which one...some can be serviced easily...others literally require the dash to come out first. The FSM can be a huge help, so have a look at THIS and give it a read through.

post #11 of 12 Old 05-11-2019, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz465 View Post
RE The window, it is the rear passenger so to my understanding it isn't auto up/down for the back windows. The issue is that I will put the back window down from the driver side controller. Then when i try to pull it back up it doesn't budge. I need to pull it back up via the back window's direct controller, not the driver's 6 switch controller.

You don't think the shaking is from the rotors?
I have the exact same problem with my rear driver side window switch (2.5 2009 too!) . I bought a cheapish chinesium replacement part switch on ebay (I think it was $28) but I haven't installed it yet.

Last edited by MalcolmY; 05-11-2019 at 03:47 AM.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-12-2019, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
The vibration or shaking can easily be tie rod ends too. Power to be going 60 mph has the axles pulled forward and brake assemblies too, then you brake and the tie rod looseness then lets the brake action pull the entire mess back to then go forward under power again, what produces the shaking back and forth in the play.

Jack each front wheel up in the air and do a 3 o'clock and 9 hand grab on wheel and move it side to side, if you get looseness there the ties are loose.

Another test is to make car do the shaking and then roll off power completely while getting on to brakes harder, that then overrides the back and forth shake to simply pull the assemblies back once only with no rocking, the shake goes away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan Enthusiast General Forums > New Member Forum - Introduce Yourself!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode