2007 Murano Electrical Issue... - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-30-2017, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2007 Murano Electrical Issue...

Last 3 days the battery was dead... New battery and new alternator in this car. Both check out as well. The only thing I noticed as being out of place was that the seat belt light remains on when I shut the truck off... Now I know this is just a symptom of whatever the real issue is so I'm guessing that something is not shutting down. Even if I fasten the belt to get the light to go out the truck will still be dead within a matter of hours... PLEASE HELP! I've checked EVERYTHING I can think of.... Fuses, wires, harnesses, relays, etc.....LOSING MY MIND!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-30-2017, 11:46 AM
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Do a parasitic current drain test while the vehicle is 'off'. It is described in my 'Atlernator' threadlink in my .sig. This should tell you how much current is being drained at rest, and give you a methodology to isolate which path is consuming the current.

Nissan OEM HID, Morimoto bulbs/harness, RacingLine Y-pipe, Strut Brace, Stillen Swaybar, ETI LED Fogs,
BBK: PowerStop Powder Coated Calipers: M45 Front/Stock Rears w/StopTech slotted sport rotors
BOSE Headunit w/USB & BT (2012 update), Dunlop Signature HP (summer) / Blizzak WS80 (winter)

Altima FSMs 94-09 Useful posts: Bose Upgrade / Alternator / Bad Ground / Rear Brakes / TPMS Reset /
/ Spurious ABS / Audio Power / ABS Diag / Steering Lock / Lower VQ rad hose / VQ Belt Squeak /
/ Brake Job / RA 5% Discount
post #3 of 9 Old 06-30-2017, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yes I will, I mean without the test we know the drain is pretty significant, but how will that give me an idea as to the path to follow?

post #4 of 9 Old 06-30-2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Is there any way you can send me that link? I'm still terrible at navigating through this site and it will take me all day to find what it is you're referring to...
post #5 of 9 Old 06-30-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by '07NissMur View Post
Is there any way you can send me that link? I'm still terrible at navigating through this site and it will take me all day to find what it is you're referring to...
Normally you'd just click on the word Alternator in the Useful Posts section below any of my posts. But here it is

https://www.nissanclub.com/forums/200...-insanity.html

Nissan OEM HID, Morimoto bulbs/harness, RacingLine Y-pipe, Strut Brace, Stillen Swaybar, ETI LED Fogs,
BBK: PowerStop Powder Coated Calipers: M45 Front/Stock Rears w/StopTech slotted sport rotors
BOSE Headunit w/USB & BT (2012 update), Dunlop Signature HP (summer) / Blizzak WS80 (winter)

Altima FSMs 94-09 Useful posts: Bose Upgrade / Alternator / Bad Ground / Rear Brakes / TPMS Reset /
/ Spurious ABS / Audio Power / ABS Diag / Steering Lock / Lower VQ rad hose / VQ Belt Squeak /
post #6 of 9 Old 06-30-2017, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thank you... Gonna read now.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-30-2017, 01:22 PM

Sounds like you may need a handful of 10A replacement fuses for your ammeter before things get narrowed down, but the logic basically goes like this:

Based on the power distribution diagram in your FSM (also available via my .sig with some effort) or here on page 07 Rogue PG-3 you can follow from the battery in the top left, the various branches of power distribution. Initially they are protected by high current fusible links (like 100A, or 80A) eventually those lines feed things like fuse boxes or IPDMs where individual smaller fuses are used.

By interrrupting each path and inserting an ammeter in series (or if possible a clamp meter which can do higher than 10A ranges) you can see how much power each path is drawing when the vehicle is off. When my alternator failed, it drew over 2A with the car sitting at rest, off. Normal total at rest current draw is in the order of 0.07A. By testing each fusible link path for draw, you will quickly find which one is responsible for draining your battery.

post #8 of 9 Old 06-30-2017, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks so much. I will let you know what I find. Looks like my multimeter disappeared from my box, nephew I'm sure, so now I gotta go get another one.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-06-2017, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
UPDATE.... OK so after Parasitic Drain Test I finally found that the problem was NOT in any fuses ut in fact the in the wires leading to the alternator. Two wires that snap I to the front/topside of the alternator, AND ARE TOGETHER IN THE SAME WRAP, actually had a short in them about 2 inches from the alternator itself causing mayhem and actually making the SEAT BELT LIGHT stay on when the truck is asleep. Thanks to everyone that helped me and just wanted to post this in hopes I too can help someone in the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to '07NissMur For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > Nissan Murano Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode