5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 80 Old 08-06-2015, 12:55 PM
Start The Show - Jet

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Garage
So... Bumping this thread to ask the 3rd Gen Community if anyone knows of anyone who has fitted the rear shocks from a 2003-2007 Z33/350Z on a 3rd Gen Altima or 6th Gen Maxima.

I checked out the specs yesterday on CourtesyParts, and it looks like an extremely similar setup between the three platforms. I also stopped by last night at O'Reilly's, and it looks like the lenths are all very similar.

Here's where I'm headed with this thought... We have exactly jack squat for rear shocks on the Altima/Maxima generations mentioned above. If something from the 350Z platform fits or is modify-able to fit, the Z has SO many more options for rear damping.

Here's the specs I have at them moment:

KYB GR2/Excel-G for Altima
Compressed Length = 368.3mm
Extended Length = 538.2mm
Travel Length = 169.9mm

Bilstein B8 for 350Z
Compressed Length = 379.4mm
Extended Length = 554.0mm
Travel Length = 174.6mm

Differences
Compressed Length = +11.1mm = 3% deviation
Extended Length = +15.8mm = 2.9% deviation
Travel Length = +4.7mm = 2.8% deviation

Also, 11.1mm is less than .44" and 15.8mm is less than .61". We're talking about a little over half an inch in travel to the full extension and less than half an inch reduction in full compression. If the shock were tight enough (AKA Bilstein), it wouldn't even matter.

All that said, is anyone aware of a situation where this was attempted or done? If so, what were the challenges?

I'd love to get some input from the community on this, too. For the doubters out there, here's some comparison pics of the two mentioned above.

KYB GR2/Excel-G for Altima

Same for Altima - lower mount

Bilstein B8 Sport Series for 350Z

Koni Yellow for 350Z - lower mount

sprocketser likes this.

2005 Altima SE-R 6MT - Dunlop|Injen|Koni|NWP|Racingline|Rays|StopTech

Random Stuff For Sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 80 Old 08-10-2015, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Sounds intersting here BP , we know that the 300ZX s rears can be fitted with some mods , & their was one that installed some 350Z rears on a 4 th gen Altima , guess it can work out on a 3rd gen .alti .

05 M/T SER Altima . Nismo CAI/CB , OBX Hdrs.Dynomax resonator .RL FSTB&BTD H&R Springs & Triple C Bolt tbi , RLRShifterBushing tbi , EBC Ft/Rr Pads/Rotors, 06 350Z Rear Brakes , Synto/Wix Filter , RP MaxATF PSF, Motul BF/CF, Pennzoil Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+
post #63 of 80 Old 08-10-2015, 12:50 PM
Start The Show - Jet

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocketser View Post
Sounds intersting here BP , we know that the 300ZX s rears can be fitted with some mods , & their was one that installed some 350Z rears on a 4 th gen Altima , guess it can work out on a 3rd gen .alti .
I had my local auto parts store order in one of each and the only difference is the height of the cylinder and the shaft. The cylinder is shorter by about a 1/4 inch and the shaft is longer by about a 1/2 inch - exactly as the information indicated. I'll get some pics up later today, but the bottom mounting bracket is identical. If I were to cut down the height of the shaft to meet the centering point I'd need, I think these would be a great alternative. I'd need to continue threading the top shaft threads down a ways, and then figure out how to make that convenient top nipple that you can get your wrench on while tightening the top assembly, but I see NO reason why this wouldn't work with some slight modification. If anything, it'd be better because I could hack the top of the strut so everything aligns with my ride height. Again, pics later, but this is what I'll be doing for the rear.

Random Stuff For Sale

post #64 of 80 Old 08-10-2015, 02:02 PM

What s the diameter of the shaft from both of these shocks & what s the lenght of the shock mounts to the top of cylinder the shaft please ( might be the cylinder lenght that you wrote about ) , it might give us some clues here .

If rhese work after some mods , it might be a great thing .

That PN right ! Koni (8241-1217Sport) Sport Rear Shock

05 M/T SER Altima . Nismo CAI/CB , OBX Hdrs.Dynomax resonator .RL FSTB&BTD H&R Springs & Triple C Bolt tbi , RLRShifterBushing tbi , EBC Ft/Rr Pads/Rotors, 06 350Z Rear Brakes , Synto/Wix Filter , RP MaxATF PSF, Motul BF/CF, Pennzoil Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+

Last edited by sprocketser; 08-10-2015 at 02:25 PM.
post #65 of 80 Old 08-10-2015, 02:13 PM

Also , my bet is that the 350Z fronts might be way off compared to the 3rd gen alti fronts .

post #66 of 80 Old 08-10-2015, 03:44 PM
Start The Show - Jet

Garage
Quote:
What s the diameter of the shaft from both of these shocks & what s the lenght of the shock mounts to the top of cylinder the shaft please ( might be the cylinder lenght that you wrote about ) , it might give us some clues here .

If rhese work after some mods , it might be a great thing .

That PN right ! Koni (8241-1217Sport) Sport Rear Shock
I didn't have a tape measure with me at the parts store, but I could probably discover the difference.

In looking at the difference in the pictures, the diameter is the same, and the height from the bottom of the bump-stop to the top of the shaft looks to be about the same. I'm thinking that we'd need to possibly decrease the width of the rubber bump-stop in order to accommodate the reduction in shaft length at the top, but I don't think I've ever bottomed out a set of Bilsteins... I'm headed toward going with the B8 Sports if things pan out, and those are known to be super tight. It would take a pretty heavy load to move them down to the bump stops. We could also look at having them made out of a harder material instead of the softer rubber... Maybe RedLion would be good to talk to...

Bilstein B8 Sports would be my preference over the Koni's. They're about the same price point, if not a bit less. ConceptZ also has them - $360/pr.

Quote:
Also , my bet is that the 350Z fronts might be way off compared to the 3rd gen alti fronts .
Oh, yeah. Definitely not going to work. The whole suspension setup is different in the front.

Random Stuff For Sale

Last edited by BPuff57; 08-10-2015 at 03:51 PM.
post #67 of 80 Old 08-10-2015, 03:59 PM
Start The Show - Jet

Garage
So, I just read the FAQ section on Bilstein's site. B8 Sports are designed for 350z's lowered between 30-40mm (1.18-1.57 inches) and up to 50mm (1.97 inches). Long story short, the RL springs drop the rear by 1/2 inch, plus another "drop" of 3/4 inch due to the difference in the shaft length - that's about 1.25 inch drop - totally within the range the shock was designed for. That means we may not even need to adjust the top of the shock with that information... Just bolt in and go.

Random Stuff For Sale
The Following User Says Thank You to BPuff57 For This Useful Post:
post #68 of 80 Old 08-10-2015, 04:10 PM
Start The Show - Jet

Garage
Pics:

Right is the 350Z Shock. Left is the Altima Shock.

Like I said. Near identical.

Random Stuff For Sale
post #69 of 80 Old 08-10-2015, 07:47 PM

Wow , thanx for the info here BP , so this 350Z rear set + the Koni Inserts & one s good to go .

post #70 of 80 Old 08-10-2015, 08:22 PM
Start The Show - Jet

Garage
Quote:
Wow , thanx for the info here BP , so this 350Z rear set + the Koni Inserts & one s good to go .
It's looking that way, Bud! I can't wait. No-go for me for a bit due to the timing and cost, but I think I'm about 5,000-10,000 miles away. That's definitely the setup I'll be running.

I'm going to test-fit things with a cheapie shock from an auto parts store and take some pics of the process.

Random Stuff For Sale
post #71 of 80 Old 08-10-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPuff57 View Post
It's looking that way, Bud! I can't wait. No-go for me for a bit due to the timing and cost, but I think I'm about 5,000-10,000 miles away. That's definitely the setup I'll be running.

I'm going to test-fit things with a cheapie shock from an auto parts store and take some pics of the process.
Will check it out .

post #72 of 80 Old 11-25-2015, 12:31 PM
Start The Show - Jet

Garage
Koni's are IN!

First off... I decided to go with the tried and true 300ZX rear shocks instead of the 350Z option.

Second... Koni's all fit with a bit of work. I'll fully document the process next week, as I took pics throughout the process.

Pics!

Koni model number:

Rustoleum Paint - doesn't quite look like a perfect color match, but it's pretty close.

Koni adjustment inset:

Bottom thread - these are cartridges that get installed in your existing struts. Koni calls it "cut-a-strut." The bottom threads are used to secure the cartridge to the bottom of the strut housing.

Sorry, but I forgot to take pictures of the rears by themselves. There'll be pics of everything once I get to the DIY post.

Impressions:
Oh, man... Oh, man... Oh, MAN!! You guys will not believe the difference that the Koni's make. You seriously will not believe it unless you ride in a car with this setup.

I'm still working on dialing in the adjustments so it's a good balance of ride comfort and damping for the RL springs, but even on full soft in the front and 180* in the rear, it was 5000% better than the GR2/RL combo and at least 200% better than the OEM SE-R springs/damping. I think this is the "secret combo" for this platform. I've ridden on coilovers before, and they're cool, but you've got to pay to play with those - at least $1200 for a good set that ride well, perform well, and are reliable. This was less than $900 after shipping for all of this stuff:

1. Front Koni Inserts = $250 (Ebay, free shipping)
2. Rear Koni Shocks = $225 (Ebay, free shipping)
3. Front Strut "stuff" = $160 (RockAuto, reasonable shipping)
4. RL Springs = $190 (Racingline Performance, reasonable shipping)

Grand Total = $825 (plus shipping)

Here's what I'll tell you as an end result. "Controllable oversteer..." This is exactly what I was looking for on this platform. From the factory, this car (and most FWD) understeered like a punk. Drive too hard out of corners, and the front wheels pull the car in the opposite direction from what you want. That's not necessarily terrible, but the fact that you still understeer when letting off the throttle was the problem - there was no way to tuck the nose of the car back into the corner. With the current settings on the damping, camber, toe, and rear sway bar, all I have to do is let off the throttle if I'm too hot in the corner, and the rear slides out just enough to stay in the corner. It's a fine balance, and it will take some adjustment on my part to figure it out, but that's what I was after.

For the record, the front sway is not adjustable (OEM SE-R), front damping is at 90* from full soft, front camber is about -1.0*, the front toe is close to spot on (don't recall the spec, but it's in the middle of factory tolerance), the rear sway (Racingline) is on the inside hole (stiffest), rear damping is at 180* from full soft, rear camber is about -0.7*, and rear toe is close to spot on (roughly 0.02*). .

I may still raise the car and add another 90* for the rear so I can go another 90* on the front (front is still a bit under-damped), but the balance front/rear seems good at the moment.

Pics will be up by next week. Be prepared... I took a lot.

Random Stuff For Sale

Last edited by BPuff57; 03-08-2016 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Correction
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BPuff57 For This Useful Post:
post #73 of 80 Old 12-01-2015, 12:57 PM
Start The Show - Jet

Garage
Koni's in the rear!

Finally got pictures moved to my flash drive. Pics of the rear install below.

Comparison of the KYB GR-2/Excel vs. the Koni Yellow. Note the similarity of the two:

Top of the shock comparison. Koni is on the bottom. They're near identical, but there's definitely better build in the Koni:

Closeup of the bottom mount. I've already spread out the bottom bracket by clamping each side of the bracket in my vice - inside top of the bracket was touching the top of the vice so I was spreading as close to the crease as possible - and carefully spreading each side by hand. I wrapped the bracket with an old t-shirt in order to avoid scratching it with the vice.

Here's what the completed top looked like after reinstalling all the bushings and shock mount. I painted the rusted parts with matte black engine enamel to hopefully minimize rust.

Lower bracket installed on the rear knuckle. Note the new bolt, nut, and lock washer - picket those up at my local hardware store for less than $5.00 (both sides, with tax).

And the upper mount, installed.

More pics coming.

Random Stuff For Sale
post #74 of 80 Old 12-01-2015, 12:58 PM
Start The Show - Jet

Garage
Koni's in the rear! (continued)

After replacing the wheels and lowering the rear of the car back down (front was still up on jack stands), here's what the shocks look like.

Random Stuff For Sale
post #75 of 80 Old 12-01-2015, 12:58 PM
Start The Show - Jet

Garage
Koni's in the front!

Here's a picture of the old GR-2 strut in the vice with a very small hole drilled in the center of the bottom to let all the fluid out from inside the strut. There's a whole lot more than you initially think, so take your time and pump the strut rod up and down to squeeze out as much as possible.

Here's where I measured to make the cut at the top of the strut housing. I could have gone just a bit lower, but I'd suggest sticking with that exact spot - it was just about perfect to get the bottom bolt started into the threads of the strut insert. Plus, it's a perfect line around the strut.

I used a bi-metal hacksaw to saw around the strut until the "innards" of the strut were free to pull out with the top.

Koni says you may need to file the inside of the strut housing if there are any metal spots "protruding" into where the strut insert will go. I didn't see anything - smooth on the inside! I did use a metal file to smooth the area from my cut.

This was how much fluid came out from ONE strut!

More pics coming!
M-train likes this.

Random Stuff For Sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Technical and Specific Interest Nissan Discussion > Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode