LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 80 Old 12-01-2015, 12:58 PM
Start The Show - Jet

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Garage
Koni's in the front! (continued)

School bus yellow paint. I'm a big fan of this stuff. Good coverage and goes on easy. I prepped the struts by brushing with a wire brush and sanding in a few areas where a lot of rust was present. Three coats of paint total, no primer.

Here's the bolt/washer/lock washer to secure the bottom of the strut insert into the old housing. I had to "smash" the insert into the housing by sliding it in really hard in order to get the insert threads close enough to thread the bolt in and start pulling the insert into the housing. Hence the paint imperfections on the bottom of the strut housing.

I also heated up and pulled the label stickers off the strut inserts and re-attached them to the housings. This pic also has the rubber boot installed to keep moisture from getting in between the strut insert and strut housing.

Ready for springs and new strut mounts.

Reinstalled in the car with springs, new mounts, new spring seats, and a new bellow. :::

2005 Altima SE-R 6MT - Dunlop|Injen|Koni|NWP|Racingline|Rays|StopTech

Random Stuff For Sale
The Following User Says Thank You to BPuff57 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 80 Old 12-01-2015, 01:06 PM
Start The Show - Jet

Garage
Koni settings with Racingline Springs

Just so everyone has the info, it seems to me that 270* from full soft in the front and 360* from full soft in the rear is the best of comfort and performance. It matches the spring rates well and controls the rebound exceptionally better than the old KYB GR-2/Excel shocks/struts.

Random Stuff For Sale
post #78 of 80 Old 12-04-2015, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Thanx for this BP !

Will look forward to your How To on your thread !
BPuff57 likes this.

05 M/T SER Altima . Nismo CAI/CB , OBX Hdrs.Dynomax resonator .RL FSTB&BTD H&R Springs & Triple C Bolt tbi , RLRShifterBushing tbi , EBC Ft/Rr Pads/Rotors, 06 350Z Rear Brakes , Synto/Wix Filter , RP MaxATF PSF, Motul BF/CF, Pennzoil Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+

post #79 of 80 Old 03-08-2016, 12:54 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
A little late to the party, but thanks Bpuff.

I've got my Koni's ordered from Summit Racing. They are supposed to be in on the 20th of this month.

Question, what did you use for the rubber sleeve to keep out the moisture?
BPuff57 likes this.
post #80 of 80 Old 03-08-2016, 03:03 PM
Start The Show - Jet

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPuff57 View Post
Just so everyone has the info, it seems to me that 270* from full soft in the front and 360* from full soft in the rear is the best of comfort and performance. It matches the spring rates well and controls the rebound exceptionally better than the old KYB GR-2/Excel shocks/struts.
Just a further update. I'm now at 630* in the rear and 540* in the front. Things are tight and bouncy at times, but the damping controls the rebound much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-train View Post
A little late to the party, but thanks Bpuff.

I've got my Koni's ordered from Summit Racing. They are supposed to be in on the 20th of this month.

Question, what did you use for the rubber sleeve to keep out the moisture?
My pleasure, Sir! This is a great alternative to coils and offers everything but the adjustable ride height - without all the maintenance of coils. I'm happy with the performance results and the suspension keeps getting better as the temperatures warm up.

Summit was the other place I was looking at them - along with TireRack. I got lucky and found everything on fleabay for a great pricepoint. One of the rear shocks got knocked around and paint-scraped during transit, but I'll sand it down later and repaint with the school bus yellow I used for the front housings.

The rubber sleeves came with the front strut inserts. there's only one way to fit them on, too. They seem to work well, but I can't really tell you for sure.

If you run into any issues, LMK! Take pictures of your process and post them up, too. There's just not quite enough information out there on this suspension project, and it's the best option out there for the money (IMHO).

Random Stuff For Sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Technical and Specific Interest Nissan Discussion > Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode