2012 Sentra felt like death wobble - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-31-2017, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2012 Sentra felt like death wobble

I have a 2012 Sentra with about 32k miles on it. It gets driven several hundred miles a month. Treated well. It does not get driven hard, hard breaking, fast corning, ect...

The car has not need any work other than general maintenance (oil & filter change, engine & in-cabin air filter, R&B tires)

Original tires and brakes. Ive inspected the tires recently and it looks like I will be replacing 2 of them at the end of this year or early next. Ive inspected the brakes and deemed in great condition. The front rotors are in great shape. The wear on it is consistent and no warping. This is same with the brake pads on either side of a rotor. They are wearing normal and look to have several more months if not a year with the kind of mileage this gets driven and the braking it is doing.

Driving down freeway and braking from 80 to 70 mpg getting behind slower vehicle. Was coming to the exit and brake again from 70 mph and the front end shook crazy (crazy during braking) and felt like the pass.side wheel more than driver.side wheel was going to fall off. I thought maybe lug nut(s) may have been loose or become loose. I let off the brake to let engine slow down the vehicle and even without applying the brakes, after it still shook but not as (crazy).

I did get off the exit safely. I sped up on the straight away to (test) what had just happened to see if it do it again. Sure enough. It did.

I have remove the wheels off the hub of the vehicle and have visually inspected any bolts, bushings and ball joints, cables, i.e..... Including rotors and pads. There is nothing loose or if the bushings or ball joints to be replaced.

Have any of you experienced or heard of something like this happening to a car such as this?

thoughts, advise & facts.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-31-2017, 07:48 PM
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Had the car been sitting for a days, perhaps during a rainy period? Sometimes my rotors (high carbon) will rust up if left sitting outside during heavy rains. Seems to brake normally, but the first few high speed, harder stops always have some shudder to them until the remaining uneven rust dust is rubbed off. If you are in Arizona...then this is probably not the reason... The fact that it is both speed AND braking related I think narrows it down to the brakes...otherwise you'd get noise vibration all the time, at least in varying amounts, if it were hub bearings, cv joints, tire belts etc.

Nissan OEM HID, Morimoto bulbs/harness, RacingLine Y-pipe, Strut Brace, Stillen Swaybar, ETI LED Fogs,
BBK: PowerStop Powder Coated Calipers: M45 Front/Stock Rears w/StopTech slotted sport rotors
BOSE Headunit w/USB & BT (2012 update), Dunlop Signature HP (summer) / Blizzak WS80 (winter)

Altima FSMs 94-09 Useful posts: Bose Upgrade / Alternator / Bad Ground / Rear Brakes / TPMS Reset /
/ Spurious ABS / Audio Power / ABS Diag / Steering Lock / Lower VQ rad hose / VQ Belt Squeak /
/ Brake Job / RA 5% Discount
post #3 of 6 Old 08-31-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hi, Thanks. The car is driven 80% during the week. 10-20miles a day-give or take. The sentra is not aggressive driven what so ever. Ive inspected the brakes for any carbon build up, surface rust or anything like that. It is not the brakes. The car was being driven again today and at speeds less than 60 mph. 15 mile drive. No issues with braking or the feel as I describe initially.

post #4 of 6 Old 09-01-2017, 12:54 PM

Well, if you are 100% sure it's not brakes, then next I'd check the wheel bearings and front end components. Jack up each side and test for play by yanking top and bottom and then side to side. There should be no give/play top to bottom whatsoever and while you will get some movement side/side, it should be smooth and resisting. Any clicking or easy wiggle and you have worn bearings or loose tie rods, or blown bushings, or something going on.

I still think, given the severity of the wobble it has to be directly related to the rotor/pad interface. Did you remove the pads and inspect their surfaces, or just look at the thickness from the top? I have had what you described with a stuck caliper (ie only one pad moving) but the rotor usually shows signs of this by the time you notice the throbbing during braking.

Nissan OEM HID, Morimoto bulbs/harness, RacingLine Y-pipe, Strut Brace, Stillen Swaybar, ETI LED Fogs,
BBK: PowerStop Powder Coated Calipers: M45 Front/Stock Rears w/StopTech slotted sport rotors
BOSE Headunit w/USB & BT (2012 update), Dunlop Signature HP (summer) / Blizzak WS80 (winter)

Altima FSMs 94-09 Useful posts: Bose Upgrade / Alternator / Bad Ground / Rear Brakes / TPMS Reset /
/ Spurious ABS / Audio Power / ABS Diag / Steering Lock / Lower VQ rad hose / VQ Belt Squeak /
post #5 of 6 Old 09-01-2017, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ugmac1 View Post
Well, if you are 100% sure it's not brakes, then next I'd check the wheel bearings and front end components. Jack up each side and test for play by yanking top and bottom and then side to side. There should be no give/play top to bottom whatsoever and while you will get some movement side/side, it should be smooth and resisting. Any clicking or easy wiggle and you have worn bearings or loose tie rods, or blown bushings, or something going on.

I still think, given the severity of the wobble it has to be directly related to the rotor/pad interface. Did you remove the pads and inspect their surfaces, or just look at the thickness from the top? I have had what you described with a stuck caliper (ie only one pad moving) but the rotor usually shows signs of this by the time you notice the throbbing during braking.

I should be lifting the car this weekend during day light and doing a more thorough check on all of the brakes, and suspension components. to rule out the possibilities.

How to tell if bushings or ball joints need to be replaced? I assume once I see it, I would know?

thanks.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-01-2017, 06:36 PM

Hard to say, bearings especially can be pretty funky...ie much looser when loaded than hanging with no weight but the wheel on them. Look for obvious stuff like cracked rubber, glazed or discoloured surfaces, rust, excess or unexpected brake dust/grease/rust.

If you can no longer repeat the wobble experience, I would chalk it up to some contaminant on the rotors....like CV joint grease, oil, tar or paint from the road...anything that would cause a portion of the rotor's surface to behave differently.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Technical and Specific Interest Nissan Discussion > Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode