TPMS problems - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-05-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
TPMS problems

I have a 2013 Sentra that is giving me TPMS problems. All tires are fine. Took it into my auto place, that is big into tires, and they said that for some reason it seems like all 4 sensors were bad at once and they have never seen it before, so I had to drop some cash on that. I totally believe they honestly thought something happened, but I also think they totally got this one wrong.

Drove off, and then the next day it happened again. They told me to drive it a while and see if it cleared out (which was fine since I couldn't get them to them until the weekend). No change. Took it back and they cleared it out. Next day warning popped up again.

At that point I got peeved and have been driving with it for a few months. So, my question is, has anyone else seen this before? I am thinking maybe some CPU reading the sensors has gone bad, but I have no way to narrow that down.

Thoughts or ideas?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-05-2019, 04:49 PM
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Clearing the trouble code is different from re-learning the new sensor ID's. Most Nissans are stupid and don't autolearn the TPMS codes (my 2013 Mazda does). Do it yourself using the hack (grounding the TPMS wire near the OBDII port) or spin by a dealer and have them do it.

Nissan OEM HID, Morimoto bulbs/harness, RacingLine Y-pipe, Strut Brace, Stillen Swaybar, ETI LED Fogs,
BBK: PowerStop Powder Coated Calipers: M45 Front/Stock Rears w/StopTech slotted sport rotors
BOSE Headunit w/USB & BT (2012 update), Dunlop Signature HP (summer) / Blizzak WS80 (winter)

Altima FSMs 94-09 Useful posts: Bose Upgrade / Alternator / Bad Ground / Rear Brakes / TPMS Reset /
/ Spurious ABS / Audio Power / ABS Diag / Steering Lock / Lower VQ rad hose / VQ Belt Squeak /
/ Brake Job / RA 5% Discount
post #3 of 10 Old 04-05-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
OK, that makes sense. I was thinking clearing it would be fine, but what you say makes perfect sense. I read about the hack in the past, but I stupidly didn't make the connection that clearing the code wasn't good enough to let it relearn.

I'd hate to pay a dealership to do it, but if I do the have, I'll have to take it to a car place to top off the nitrogen since I can't do that myself. Ah, the joys of owning a car....

I appreciate you talking sense into me!

post #4 of 10 Old 04-05-2019, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Put air in them, what I have done for years. No trouble at all.

Service manual tells how to read the code from BCM, say if the TPMS battery dies there is code for that as well as several other things. The grounded wire thing.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-08-2019, 01:17 PM

As a parting shot...I assume the garage replaced them with aftermarket sensors, and that can mean a few things:

1. new sensors will have definitely have different id's than the old ones, learning needed (as above)
2. some of the above can be programmed to the same codes as your existing sensors, but special tools may be needed to read 'dead' sensors (if successful, no relearning needed)
3. some aftermarket sensors also need to be programmed to 'wake them up' so they start chirping out pressures. If that isn't done, no amount of clearing/reprogramming will fix things

I'd call the garage and ask them exactly what they put in and if any of the above comments apply.

Nissan OEM HID, Morimoto bulbs/harness, RacingLine Y-pipe, Strut Brace, Stillen Swaybar, ETI LED Fogs,
BBK: PowerStop Powder Coated Calipers: M45 Front/Stock Rears w/StopTech slotted sport rotors
BOSE Headunit w/USB & BT (2012 update), Dunlop Signature HP (summer) / Blizzak WS80 (winter)

Altima FSMs 94-09 Useful posts: Bose Upgrade / Alternator / Bad Ground / Rear Brakes / TPMS Reset /
/ Spurious ABS / Audio Power / ABS Diag / Steering Lock / Lower VQ rad hose / VQ Belt Squeak /
post #6 of 10 Old 04-10-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ugmac1 View Post
As a parting shot...I assume the garage replaced them with aftermarket sensors, and that can mean a few things:

1. new sensors will have definitely have different id's than the old ones, learning needed (as above)
2. some of the above can be programmed to the same codes as your existing sensors, but special tools may be needed to read 'dead' sensors (if successful, no relearning needed)
3. some aftermarket sensors also need to be programmed to 'wake them up' so they start chirping out pressures. If that isn't done, no amount of clearing/reprogramming will fix things

I'd call the garage and ask them exactly what they put in and if any of the above comments apply.
All good points, thanks. I can almost guarantee that they are aftermarket. They had them in stock and they aren't a dealership. I'll give them a call this afternoon to double check though.

Thanks!

post #7 of 10 Old 04-14-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Arghhhhhghh. I cannot find the darn connector for the hack. I've turned the whole car upside down, and no dice. All the YouTube videos show a different panel under the steering wheel.

Any idea for a 2013 Sentra?

post #8 of 10 Old 04-15-2019, 11:04 AM

I assume you found this link, that's the connector, the white one. I assume the yellow wire is what the author is using to ground it during the procedure.

https://enginepartsdiagram.com/2007-...s-light-reset/

On my Altima it wasn't obvious, but it was there, taped high up above the OBDII connector harness. It's pretty awkward in there if you don't remove the dash plastic (I didn't) and it took me some time to 'feel' out where the connector was...I verified this using my phone as a 'remote camera'. The harness was closer to the door than the OBDII connector which is mounted under the steering wheel. They aren't super close to each other. HTH

Being lazy on removing the plastic, I crimped a bit of wire to the end of a straightened out paperclip and used some long needle nose pliers to insert the paperclip into the connector which I couldn't budge with my fingers nor get close enough with to insert it directly.

post #9 of 10 Old 04-15-2019, 11:15 AM

In this pic, the larger white connector in the background is the OBDII from the back side...just to orient you a little.

Link if you cannot see above (remove the two *'s):

ht*tp://i58.photo*bucket.com/albums/g252/gforever/Sentra%20Stuff/20130414_115916_zps3586159b.jpg

post #10 of 10 Old 04-15-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks. I tried everything to find the connector, but it must be tucked up pretty tight to the cable bundle. I laid every which way I could to get different angles, but without getting the dash off (which I couldn't figure out how to do), I was skunked. I like the camera idea though, I didn't even think of that, I'll give it a try tonight. Thanks

Of course, I deflated all the tired BEFORE looking for the connector, so I had to refill them all begrudgingly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Technical and Specific Interest Nissan Discussion > Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode